Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Karen84
Beginner July 2016

Father-Daughter dance?

Karen84, 27 of May of 2016 at 09:16 Posted on Planning 0 10

This hadn't even come on to my radar but I was at a wedding last weekend where they did one, and then the next day my dad dropped a hint that he would like to do one (he hadn't been at the wedding, so was a sheer coincidence).

Are you having one? Do you have any suggestions for songs that aren't too cheesy?

10 replies

Latest activity by AnthonyWinyardEntertainment, 3 of June of 2016 at 09:17
  • F
    Beginner June 2017
    FutureMrsCC ·
    • Hide content

I read about this somewhere and quite liked the idea. I'm just going to choose a westlife song...sounds MEGA cheesy but as a kid my dad used to take me to Wembley to see Westlife lol.

I take it this dance is done after the bride and groom first dance?

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

I have photographed a few weddings that had one and I think they are really nice. why dont you ask your Dad for a song

• thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk
    thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

We've seen a few and it is really nice to do before the bride & grooms dance.

The hand over of responsibility but in dance form... it's a really sweet moment!

Or you can have a pre-arranged song for dad/daughter later if the dad doesn’t want the attention.

Hope that helps,

James x

• AshleyB230685
    Beginner May 2017
    AshleyB230685 ·
    • Hide content

My dad hates being the centre of attention but we are having a dad -daughter dance as the third dance of the evening (after the 1st dance, which is just the 2 of us and the 2nd dance which is getting the wedding party up on the floor)

We have chosen Dance the night away by the Mavericks so we will be having a good boogie instead of a slow number

• R
    Dedicated June 2016
    RachD90 ·
    • Hide content

My song is total cheese but I love it. Am having "You'll be in my heart" from Tarzan, my dad likes and also there is a huge joke about him looking like Phil Collins (my cousin when little thought he actually was phil collins haha) am asking my little sister to join us so not so cheesy.

• J
    Beginner November 2016
    JadeyPops98 ·
    • Hide content

I really like Brett dennen 'the one who loves you the most ' as a father daughter dance

• W
    Beginner September 2017
    willow_rose ·
    • Hide content

I am going to have a song called "I loved her first"

But am still undecided as to whether to do it as an intro to the first dance or after the first dance.

• soraneko
    Beginner June 2016
    soraneko ·
    • Hide content

I asked my dad about this quite early on and he said he'd really rather not do it... so I'll probably just grab him at some point later in the evening.

The song I would have chosen is "My Wish" by Rascal Flatts, because when I turned 21 he made me a CD that contained songs that had lyrics that reminded him of me and this one really hit a nerve (in a good way!) so I thought it would be apt.

Tbh, he might have changed his mind if he knew this, but it's all good Smiley smile

• AnthonyWinyardEntertainment
    AnthonyWinyardEntertainment ·
    • Hide content

This can be a really special moment for many dads but many brides assume that their dad wouldn't be interested which is true sometimes but not always.

In my experience it is best done before the first dance not afterwards (depending on the tempo of the songs for the first dance and father daughter dance), here's why:

Many couples these days want the guests to join them halfway through the first dance. if you then ask all the guests to leave the floor again for the father daughter dance it isn't good for the energy in the room and can annoy some guests and it can become a little disjointed.

If the father daughter dance is done first and then dad almost ceremoniously hands his daughter in a tongue in cheek style to her husband for the first dance it works much better for the energy in the room, and then if the guests join the bride and groom halfway through the first dance they can carry on dancing and not have to leave the floor.

Some couples have the first dance and the father daughter dance as two completely separate moments, i.e. the first dance done at 8pm and then the father daughter dance done at 9pm for example.

• M
    Beginner July 2017
    Much_ado_about_weddings ·
    • Hide content

Out of general interest, what's the view on having a first dance with OH, then half way through turning it into a father/daughter AND mother-son dance? Would this work?

• AnthonyWinyardEntertainment
    AnthonyWinyardEntertainment ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes that has happened at a few of the weddings I've performed at and can work well.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics