Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner October 2014

Father's details for giving notice

sal.mike, 21 of January of 2015 at 09:32 Posted on Planning 0 6

Long and unpleasant story short, my mum doesn't know who my dad is. But when I was 14 my step-dad was given LPR (legal parental responsibility), meaning in the eyes of the law, he is my parent. Under 18, he had all the same legal rights and responsibilities that a natural parent does but a step-parent doesn't.

When I am asked about my Father's information, am I legally entitled to give step-dad's info? He is legally my parent, and my mum and step-dad are married. All the information I've found so far seems to point out that it's ok because they're married, but I wanted to check and see if anyone knew for sure from experience?

Thanks.

6 replies

Latest activity by CrazyRatLady, 21 of January of 2015 at 11:17
  • pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

The only way to be sure is to ask the registrar. Sadly these things are often bizarre and Dickensian but as your step-dad has full legal rights I'd like to think it would be his details you'd show - but it doesn;t always work that way. Give the office a call, they'll be happy to help you.

• S
    Beginner October 2014
    sal.mike ·
    • Hide content

Thanks, I will do. Just wanted some knowledge before I call.

The vicar of my friend tried to make her put her biological dad's details down, despite the fact her left before she was born, but she found some Church links which said her step-dad was allowed and the vicar backed down, but I'm just worried the registrar might be more akward. Registrars always seem scarier than vicars to me!

• D
    Beginner September 2015
    dannid89x ·
    • Hide content

We have are marriage notice appointment this saturday, i wasnt aware that i had to give our parents details until ive just read your post! my dad left when i was a baby, i know his name but id rather put down my step dads who in my eyes is my father but hes not legally. please can i have some more info on this? thanks x

• S
    Beginner October 2014
    sal.mike ·
    • Hide content

These are the links I have found. It just the more you google, the more different information you get so I'm still a bit confused!

http://www.peterboroughdiocesanregistry.co.uk/marriage.html

http://www.norwichdiocesanregistry.co.uk/marriage/frequently-asked-questions/

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/02/03/marriage-certificates-should-include-mothers-_n_4700935.html (In the comment section)

• M
    Beginner October 2015
    MrsWatkinsToBe ·
    • Hide content

When we registered our intent to marry and when we booked the registrar for the wedding we weren't asked any details about our parents.

I think as long as you have a British passport/birth certificate that's all they need to see

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    Manda79 ·
    • Hide content

I was asked dad's name, occupation.i don't really see him and registrar could tell it was awkward-she did ask if I wanted to put someone else down instead I.e stepfather.

They'll talk you through it, don't worry, you don't need their ID or anything, I think it's just because it goes on the marriage certificate.

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

My husband's real dad died when he was 5, so he hardly knew him. He was raised by his step dad. He put his step dad's details on the marriage certificate with no problems x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics