Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

mum-wants-a-hat
Beginner June 2013

Favour wording- honest opinions please xx

mum-wants-a-hat, 23 March, 2013 at 18:46

Posted on Planning 62

Hi all As some of you may remember, we are giving poppy seeds as favours as a tribute to my OHs mum who was tragically taken from us at the start of our relationship. I have just written the poem below to accompany the favours and would like HONEST feedback please - I haven't shown it to my OH yet...

Hi all

As some of you may remember, we are giving poppy seeds as favours as a tribute to my OHs mum who was tragically taken from us at the start of our relationship.

I have just written the poem below to accompany the favours and would like HONEST feedback please - I haven't shown it to my OH yet as it has made me a little emotional writing it.

Thanks xx

As thanks for sharing in our day
We give to you this favour-
A simple gift to take away,
No jewels, no chocs to savour,
No miniatures, no daft keyrings
Yet some might find this soppy,
Our search for the most perfect things
Has ended with the poppy.
We ask that you will plant these seeds
In a little bit of soil,
Then offer small drinks when it needs-
No hassle, time or toil.
And once the poppies start to bloom
In the sunlights gentle touch,
Please give a thought to the Bride and Groom
For who this means so much.
Some weren't able to play a part
But walked with us today
We keep them in our hearts
And so would like to say
Where poppies grow, please pause a while
Let memories unfold
Remember loved ones with a smile-
More valuable than gold.

As thanks for sharing in our day,

We give to you this favour-

A simple gift to take away;

No jewels, no chocs to savour,

No miniatures, no daft keyrings,
Yet some might find this soppy,
Our search for the most perfect things
Has ended with the poppy.

We ask that you will plant these seeds
In a little bit of soil,
Then offer small drinks when it needs-
No hassle, time or toil.
And once the poppies start to bloom
In the sunlights gentle touch,
Please give a thought to the Bride and Groom
For who this means so much.

Some weren't able to play a part
But walked with us today
We keep them safely in our hearts
And so would like to say
Where poppies grow, please pause a while
Let memories unfold
Remember loved ones with a smile-
A gift more precious than gold.

62 replies

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Putting (no offence) is the equivalent of staring a sentence with 'I'm not being funny but...'

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You've just repeated your insult. I am sure that if you thought about it you would see that the OP's poem and, for example, "O Mistress mine, where are you roaming,O stay and hear, your true love's coming" (Shakespeare) you would know there was difference in quality.

And also, a larger majority of poems have an ABAB rhyming structure.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

duplicate post

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

But surely poetry is a subjective thing? AC may well not like poetry that has rhyming couplets. I don't like white wine. Just because that white wine may be award winning and loved by critics, I would always pass it over for a good Shiraz.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

I like Shakespeare's rhyming couplets.....

• Morwin_Nerdbane
    Beginner August 2014
    Morwin_Nerdbane ·
    • Hide content

I'm confused as to how that is an insult. It's not like I called you fat. I'm also curious as to why it's alright for you to be insulting to the OP about not even bothering to read it. If you couldn't be bothered then don't post. The question and intention of the thread was about the wording/structure of the poem. If you can't be supportive and provide constructive criticism then why post at all?

I'm 99.9% sure that the OP is aware that the poem isn't exactly Shakespeare but that doesn't mean it's not a nice piece of writing.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

How dare you?!

• Morwin_Nerdbane
    Beginner August 2014
    Morwin_Nerdbane ·
    • Hide content

How dare I what?

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This, twice. Back off Morwin. AC makes perfectly valid points and has been doing so in her YEARS of posting.

• Morwin_Nerdbane
    Beginner August 2014
    Morwin_Nerdbane ·
    • Hide content

Twice what? I am so lost.

I cannot fathom how it's alright to insult the OP but not expect any backlash. Furthermore what has years of posting got to do with the price of eggs and what were the valid comments about? There certainly weren't any regarding OPs poem besides not using it.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You think I'm fat now???

The OP asked for opinions. I gave mine and suggested what I thought was better alternative. At which point did I insult the OP?

You have declared that I know nothing about poetry and are now getting downright unpleasantly personal.

I gave my opinion on the poem, you have a different opinion. That's what happens on an open forum and why people post queries.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Be so rude to ac. Troll off somewhere else. The op has already said she found nothing offensive in what ac wrote so quite why you feel the need to bandy around insults to a long standing member of the community is beyond me.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The valid comments - an alternative message of simplicity and meaning, agreed with by other posters. Entirely up the OP as to whether or not she decides to follow all or any of the advice on here.

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was agreeing with Mini. How dare you be rude to AC? She was trying to help. The OP asked for honest opinions and she got them. You come on here after five minutes giving out insults. Terrible behaviour.

• Morwin_Nerdbane
    Beginner August 2014
    Morwin_Nerdbane ·
    • Hide content

No, I never called you fat. That would have been an insult. That's what I meant.

I'm not sure how questioning someones knowledge on poetry is an insult. It'd be like someone telling me I know nothing about geography or something. It's not an insult. Not in my eyes anyway.

Like I said, I apologise for my comment but that was the impression I got.

Jesus Christ, some of you are a bit touchy aren't you? I'm not actually talking about AC now, who the dispute was actually with, but thanks for sticking your noses in guys and trying to amplify the dispute "drama queen" is quite accurate isn't it?!

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have re read the thread again and still fail to see where you have insulted anyone.

Mum wants a Hat has received exactly what she asked for and I am 99.9% sure that she has taken all responses and will decide what to do herself.

I can't understand why you are taking someone else's opinion and arguing against it when it has nothing to do with the original post.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Classy. Turn up on a forum and try and dish out insults to long standing members . Sadly for you the term drama queen was used in an ironic way, if you had been here more than 30 seconds you would know that.

Like I said, troll off and plan your wedding elsewhere love.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Fine. Do question my knowledge of poetry. I am sure we can have amost enlightening discussion.

and point B... please do not blaspheme. That really is insulting and beyond the pale.

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

*Takes nose out and runs off to polish drama queen crown*

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

For what its worth not a fan of poems either sometimes less is more and the simple alternative already suggested by AC hits the nail on the head for me.......That said each to their own 'innit'?.

Also ? Kharv! only you could make a comparison of poetry and wine.

• BarcaGirl25
    Beginner April 2014
    BarcaGirl25 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I really like this, simple and effective.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Hilarious. Not intentionally, of course. But MN can hardly know that AC comes from an immensely distinguished literary pedigree and can leave us all behind in her analysis and appreciation of the written word. Even English teachers.

Helenia, I agree. AC, I agree. MWAH - ha! What a great name acronym - I'm OK with cutesy couplets ('Romeo and Juliet, they never felt this way, I bet' is genius) but I think you lose some of the weight of the sentiment.

• mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content

Right, here goes....

Firstly, thank you all for your critiques -I have read each post, some interesting have agreed with and acted upon, some interesting have simply accepted as genuine opinions and therefore welcome as much as all the others. I have not been insulted by any critique.

AC (I think it was your suggestion) , Thankyou- I will include the simply worded tribute on the back of the poem cards, rather than choosing one or the other. It is a lovely idea and I agree it gets the message across succinctly, but MILs children all like the poem so rather thanchoising one over the other, ill go for both. :0)

NOW THE CRUX OF THIS REPLY:

As I have said, I take critiques on the chin and do not easily take offence at anything. HOWEVER!!!! I DO take great offence that what was originally a post paying tribute to a loved one on what is usually a fair and honest forum has turned into an out and out war of words where insults seem to be acceptably thrown around. I had hoped that a little more respect be shown towards fellow posters and have unfortunately been left utterly disappointed by where this has led.

All I ask is that anyone responding to any comment consider their turn of phrase so we can keep this great forum a happy and civilised one.

Here endeth the sermon.....

• mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content

Apologies for the confusing wording now I have read my previous comment- I badly cracked the screen on my pad this morning and didn't notice predictions playing their merry games :0o

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Well said MWAH (love that since footlong pointed it out)

On a side note, boo about cracking your screen Smiley sad

P.S Did you still want any of those signs? I haven't had an e-mail from you!

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

Great idea MWAH (we are using it now!) to do both, and think the most important is that your late mother in law's children love it.

Now about a flashy planning thread?

• mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oo yes please!! Hadca busy few days so forgot, sorry. If you haven't heard from me in a couple of days, give me a shove plz... I do tend to be a bit forgetful if it's not on a list ;0) xx

• mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I may just honour your request madam :0) tomorrow though- got the usual Sundays evening routine to get through first xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics