Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

cinnamon009
Beginner December 2014

Feature walls - yes or no?

cinnamon009, 27 of April of 2015 at 15:50 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 16

We are in the process of looking for a new house and I guess it's a bit like when you start wedding planning - suddenly things that seem interesting are everywhere and you start to wonder if they are 'over done'. So do you have feature walls? If not do you paint the whole room coloured or leave the walls neutral and just put up pictures.

I used to have feature walls (painted not wallpaper) in my last house but since renting for the last few years have obviously not been able to do any decorating. So was really looking forwards to getting back into my own home and putting up some striking wallpaper in a new house but now just not sure about them. But if I don't then I will have plain walls like I have now and I'm finding them boring and plain. Any flashes anyone? I know pinterest is full of them but its not the same.

16 replies

Latest activity by Erin8, 29 of April of 2015 at 22:28
  • *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

We have a purple wall in our bedroom. This is the pic from when our ex landlord sold it:

It's quite girly but OH chose all the furniture so I got to pick the colours and stuff

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Wallpaper makes me angry! It ruins walls and drives me nuts. It can also go out of fashion very quickly. Having said that, I saw some feature walls that looked great when we were choosing our paint for our bedroom. We have a small flat and a lot of stuff (including more pictures than will fit on the walls) so all our walls are the same colour in each room or it would look even more like a bomb went off! I think if you have a big or uncluttered space it looks better

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

We've just painted our living room in a lovely pearly grey but have used a bright yellow on the two chimney breasts to bring it to life. The idea is to add yellow curtains and cushions etc... to tie it all in and I love it so far!

My only problem is finding the curtains and cushions lol

Ignore the ratty old bookcase - that's now gone and been replaced by my craft corner!

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

I love a feature wall! And I love wallpaper!

We've got cupcake wallpaper in our kitchen, bookcase in our living room, grey with birds in the spare room and a pink/purple painted wall in our bedroom

• TreacleTart
    Beginner May 2015
    TreacleTart ·
    • Hide content

Heres a couple of ours, we have a map covering one wall with the other walls kind of browny grey, n in a spare bedroom the patterned stuff is on three walls, (excuse the clothes horse n unmade bed!) the porch has a kind of minty green grass wall paper on one side with everywhere else painted a matching shade of green... Im waiting to gather more bits to hang on the pink wall...I like those hinged glass picture frame things with the metal edging, with maybe some 3d birds...

Our living room is two shades of green, mostly a slightly mid shade with a brighter fresher shade on two adjoining walls, n our bedroom will have a barely there feature wall of ivory stripes, it's ace....I love a bit of colour and wallpaper so I'd say go for it! I'm not a fan of magnolia everywhere or like on grand designs where everything is just white...that said our little box room is magnolia...had some left over n as we don't use that room atm it does the job...

just have a think about what colours n prints n patterns you like n go from there! N same applies as it does for weddings... You might think it's a bit 'done' but that's just cus your doing lots of looking n researching, no one else would think it is, n as long as you like it it does matter anyway :-)

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

I'm a fan. We're renovating our new house and 2 of the bedrooms have just been done.

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

I'm not allowed a feature wallbut I love them. My OH grew up in RAF houses which meant magnolia walls and so he doesn't like color on the walls. Our house is magnolia thrroughout. I rebelled by getting a bright turquoise/teal sofa.

• WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content

I like a feature wall and I love wallpaper!! I find wallpaper more forgiving in an older house like ours (1920's)..

i've just not long finished decorating the spare bedroom

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I like feature walls - whether paint or papered. We rent, so all the walls are magnolia. I think we'd get away with painting one, but it's an old building so the ceilings are super high, I think it'd be more effort than it's worth.

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

AntieBJ my mum is currently doing up their spare room in a yellow & grey and she got her curtains from marisota catalogue.

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Ooh, thanks leni - i'll have a look ?

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

We double them. we did the cubs bedrooms over the past 12 months and we're hoping to start ours when i'm better. we do paper or brightest colour on the longest wall, which usually has the bed, and then we always paint the shortest wall, so the window wall, in a complimenting colour, then the final two walls in white.

so when we did master winters, he asked for blue in the room, so the bed wall was blue, the window dove grey and the other two walls are white.

works pretty well Smiley smile

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

I can totally see what you mean Cinnamon! We have just found somewhere but were house hunting for several months.

Every house we saw had a feature wall in one or more of the rooms.

We have a feature wall in the living room which I like. But the house hunting has made me wonder whether it's a bit of an overdone thing...

The same thing goes for those signs everyone seems to have. You know the 'kitchen' or 'salle de bain' kind of thing? We saw one house that had a sign in every room!

There is a definite 'i'm selling my house look' out there involving lots of feature walls and knick knacks from the 'sell your house fast' shop.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I hate those wooden 'shabby chic' signs. This is possibly controversial on a wedding forum but I also hate those wooden letters that spell out 'mr &Mrs' or whatever. For my birthday work gave me a tealight holder with massive glittery letters spelling out LOVE, it's revolting. I put it in my bottom desk drawer and it's still there - eventually someone will open it looking for something and realize I disliked it so much I never even brought it home!

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

Haha ID! Ebay?

I'm not the biggest fan of signs either. I used to like them, but now it's getting a bit much particularly after viewing houses and seeing so many of them.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I considered that, but its so heavy it will cost more to post than its worth! I know exactly what happened: my boss realised that it was my birthday, had a last minute collection that lots of people didn't contribute to cos they are relatively new and work in a different room so don't know me, and sent someone across the road to the outlet mall to just pick something out at random cos there wasn't time to go into town. Hence the weird tealight holder. I realise I sound ungrateful BTW, I appreciate the effort, just not the result!

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

I like feature walls. We have recently got one in our bedroom, it's large purple and white flowers. It's a big room and everything else is quite neutral in the room

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics