Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner February 2011

February Flowers and Colours

melissayoung, 22 July, 2010 at 13:28 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hi everyone,

I'm just after a bit of advice/ideas. Our wedding is booked for February 12th next year and we haven't decided on a colour yet. The venue is really neutral so we are not restricted in that way. I really like the colour purple - I'm thinking a deep royal purple, but my H2B isn't keen on purple! He is thinking of wearing a Navy suit (which I must admit really really suits him) so I have started to think about a Navy scheme. I feel like everything else is on hold until I have decided on a colour - until then I can't decided on decorations, invites or bridesmaids dresses. Does anyone have any advice over these two colours? I'm also in a quandary over the flowers. I want them to tie into the colour scheme but I also don't want a lot of flowers as I have allergies so the flowers will only be for the bouquets and button holes. Does anyone have any suggestions on flowers that would tie in with either purple of navy?

Thanks ?

12 replies

Latest activity by crafty em, 22 July, 2010 at 16:09
  • loobylou1979
    Beginner February 2011
    loobylou1979 ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married 19th Feb and having an Aubergine and Ivory/Pearl theme, could be an alternative to put to your OH? I've posted the types of flowers I'm having on another thread, but can't link to them from work (also, not sure if they are sneeze proof!).

I think Navy would be lovely! Plenty of choices out there for that colour too-would have had it myself, but wouldn't really fit with our venue.

Not sure if I've been any help really, but welcome to Hitched, and to being my almost date twin, I can't find anyone else getting married the same date as me yet!

x

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

?Hi and welcome to hitched

welcome to the rollercoaster.. ! and this forum becomes addictive

I get married week before you 5th February 2011..

I am having cadbury purple as purple is my favourite colour but Its my 2nd marriage and so this time I'm going to be the one wearing a purple dress.

My bm is going to be lilac (at the mo) and 2 x FG's white with purple trim.

so colour scheme, purple, lilac, white and silver

so am having white Lilies with Purple Anemones but more of a design with wiring and grasses more than flowers as I want it more minimail. BM something similar.

OH will be wearing either Navy or Black I guess.

Deep purple is a lovely colour and its not too feminine.

I think shocking pink/fuschia would look great with this colour too and wanted my BM to wear it but she doesnt DO pink..!!!

There are some lovely flowers around in purples and blues and i think it will look stunning in winter months.

would love to see what you start planning - as you are a week after me, and I dont have a wedding twin as yet xx

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

LOL Louby!!

another no twinny.

But there are now 3 of us February brides, which is very helpful so we can be February Triplets!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Hi and welcome to Hitched! I've just done a navy blue wedding which the Bride mixed with purple and pink. These are artificial flowers so no allergy problems!

If you suffer from hayfever badly, then spring fresh flowers such as iris, tulips could be a problem due to the pollen but roses and orchids aren't too bad. There are lots of purple artificial bouquets on my site for a few ideas. Hope that helps. Brenda.

• loobylou1979
    Beginner February 2011
    loobylou1979 ·
    • Hide content

? I feel much more special now.

I've noticed over the past few days that we have very similar ideas for our day...will def be in touch to bounce some ideas around!

• Gen28
    Beginner August 2010
    Gen28 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

To be quite honest i think Navy can be a heavy colour so i wouldn't have everything navy i.e groom suit bridemaids flowers etc. I think a nice plantuim or silver would look lovely against the navy. so maybe the bridesmaids in a plantuim dress with a navy sash or something.

If your allegic to flowers i would go for fake. I went to sarahsflowers.co.uk and they are gorgeous and i managed to get everything matching. Plus i plan to keep them after ?

maybe you could comprise and go for a bluey purple which would look good against the navy of your h2b suit.

x

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

Lou

you sent me the activity stuff too didn't you!! ?

Cool..! nearly date twin but we are Feb brides and happy to help, advise you will have to flash what you have done so far etc x

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

Navy is a lovely colour and also very elegant. I did a Navy Blue & White wedding a few weeks ago. The only Navy was in the Bridesmaid dresses & also on the napkins & favours so it didn't look too heavy.Here are some ideas all the flowers are artificial:

Orange/Coral is always good with Navy to warm the theme:

Vibrant colours

Or even Reds:

• Beckyv83
    Beginner September 2010
    Beckyv83 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

Both colours sound fab.

Heres a pic of a girl i know who was a bridesmaid at a wedding and theme was Navy blue.

I think it looked stunning.

HTH

• COCOCHIQUITA1984
    Beginner
    COCOCHIQUITA1984 ·
    • Hide content

I think Navy on it's own might look a bit heavy, have you though about throwing in another shade of blue at all for your maids etc? Alternatively, what about a nice hot pink? My Mum has bought a lovely navy dress for the wedding and have teamed with a hot pink jacket and accessories, it's not something I would have initially thought of but it does look fab!

If you went for pink, Gerberas would be a lovely choice for flowers, or roses - both of which are year round so relatively reasonable price wise too. Alternatively you could have lovely Blue Hydrangeas for your flowers if you wanted to stick with the blue theme?

Although I'm having real flowers (but only in bouquets etc, balloon table centres!) I would second artificial flowers....try http://bloominggorgeous.net/default.aspx, they have a fab range and can custom make to your requirements as well. Heard so many good reviews about this ladies work! xxxx

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

Aah yes.. .Avoid Red Roses in February - huge price inflate!!!!!!!!

my OH favourite flower!! and not having them :o(

• Spring
    Beginner February 2008
    Spring ·
    • Hide content

I can't help with Navy as I had Gold and Ivory but I also have allergies to flowers and had Orchids on the day which didn't bother me in the slightest

• crafty em
    Beginner June 2008
    crafty em ·
    • Hide content

What about navy and lilac, with touches of royal purple

also like navy, ivory and lime

x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics