Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner August 2014

Feed the photographer?!!!

monkeynutter, 19 January, 2013 at 15:46 Posted on Planning 0 29

We are likely to book a photographer for the whole wedding day, we are having a sit down meal and then a buffet in the evening. Would the photographer expect to have their own meal?

A wedding we went to last year provided the same meal for the photographer as the guests but sat separately...

It's alot of money to pay for someone you are already paying for a service but I don't want to seem rude. We haven't decided on a photographer yet but none have mentioned about food etc.

29 replies

Latest activity by Peter, 19 January, 2013 at 18:37
  • 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Im wondering the same thing!

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Hi MN

It's completely your choice. I always seem to get fed but it's certainly not something I demand. When I have been fed it hasn't always been what the couple are eating. It might be a selection of sandwiches for example. Would this be an option?

Some Photographers have it in their contract so look out for that, as this might answer your question on the Photographer you choose.

I prefer to sit separately to the guests just because it gives me a chance to go through everything and have a break. I have become very good friends with some of my brides though and have been sat with the guests. This is also fine.

It's really down to what you would like to do. I completely understand those meals are very expensive.

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Ask yourself this.. if you don't feed your photographer, who will? Is there somewhere at the venue that he/she can buy their own meal or would it mean them leaving the venue in order to eat? Often your TOG will be doing a 12+ hour day, they need to eat one way or the other and for me, the prefered option is to feed them myself, that way they are 'off-duty' for as little time as possible!

My venue provides a supplier meal which is not the same cost as guests, partly because it does not include alcohol which my package cost does. I can pay either £25 for the TOG to have the same as us but just 2 courses, or £10 for a packed lunch. I'm going for the £25 option because a fed TOG is a happy and a more productive TOG!

(same applies for VOG, and any other supplier who you are having on the premises for any length of time)

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

It depends what it says in their contract.

What you have to remember is every venue is different, some might not even have any alternative dinning options or shops within proximity for the TOG to be able to get something to eat, even if you don't organise the same menu as you are having most venues will be able to put on a 'suppliers meal' for you which generally is a cheaper option.

• R
    Beginner April 2013
    roo2605 ·
    • Hide content

My photographer said he wouldnt need feeding as he brings his own food so can eat when he wants to doesn't miss any good photo ops

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

My main thing isn't the photographer meant to take photos during dinner or do they not? I've had to buy a meal at an event for a DJ before. I really like the idea of putting on sandwiches etc for them out of the way.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Our TOG said he would prefer to sit with guests as he doesn't like to miss any photo ops, but I feel a little guilty about this as DW said I thought he would want a quiet break away from everything.

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

But then you have to sit a stranger ona table with family / friends etc? :-(

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

I have never thought that photos of people eating are very attractive....

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This!! In between courses perhaps or before dinner is served, nice to get a picture per table but not pictures of people eating!! I wouldn't be able to relax as a guest if a TOG was lurking to catch me in the act!!

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't take photos while people are eating. That is the last thing a guest wants you to do when they are trying to put food in their mouth. Very unattractive! The only time I have shot is when the speeches have been in between courses.

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

I've often seen suppliers like bands, cameramen, togs, singers, dj's have in their contract that they require a meal. Not sandwiches, a meal as part of their attendance. This is completely fair as many venues aren't within easy reach of a decent place to eat and living off junk food isn't ideal.

Nearly every place I've been to has a certain price for a supplier meal which is lower than the guest rate. £15 in one place for a main and desert for example.

If a couple said to me that the meal was going to cost them £75 I'd be phoning the venue myself to find out what they're up to as it's pretty bad form.

Burger and chips will do. The last thing you want is a supplier leaving the venue to get lunch.

I know it could be argued that the suppliers should bring their own food (and I do if food isn't provided) but for many it's like doing your weekly shop at M+S and having to bring your own carrier bags.

For me, a 12pm ceremony means I leave the house at 9am, home at 9pm. 12 hours, 5 kilos of camera, all day, heat, running around, stress of managing 100 people, my energy source being sandwiches. Not good or productive to the end product, your photos.

But, saying that, dinners can be pretty bad too, 1 breast of chicken and 2 roast potatoes is common or worse still we're told we're getting fed but never see the food or if we do, we're fed last, during the speeches so we can't eat it.

What we really need is water, lots of water.

There's also the unseen side to it too. Look after the supplier, treat them as a person rather than a service and they'll usually repay you doubly in return.

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

If it's a full day I do expect the couple to provide food or at least give me a break to go out and get some food, after all I'm only human! It's preferable for the couple to provide food only because I wouldn't really want to leave the building and run to Tesco's and grab a sandwich, it takes up too much time. However, I don't expect to eat the same meal as the guests, and I wouldn't mind if it was just a sandwich or something, but I wouldn't have room to bring my own in my kit bag.

I would also always sit separately if possible, it gives me a chance to look over photos etc. and collect my thoughts.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Whoever says people eating are not attractive clearly have never seen me eat a hot dog! ?

• Hide content
    View quoted message

This can be up to you, some people find it rude to be photographed whilst eating, and would prefer you to stop photographing for a bit, that's usually when I eat a bit. I would ordinarily ask the bride and groom if they want me to keep photographing through dinner or not. As per my reply to OP, I wouldn't mind sandwiches out of the way, I would never demand the actual guests' meal as I understand it is expensive.

• Pook82
    Beginner August 2012
    Pook82 ·
    • Hide content

We provided our photographer with a meal. The venue provided a hot "outmess" meal for him which cost £18. He ate this while the wedding breakfast was going on - and he ate privately.

It wasn't in his contract but I asked in advance if he'd like a hot meal - and he really appreciated the offer. As someone else said, the photographer will likely be with you/travelling for 12 'ish hours - I know I can't go a long working day like that without eating!

As an aside, we also had a steel band for 2.5 hours and their contract asked for "ligth refreshments" so we gave them sandwiches and fruit (£11). We had a hog roast in the evening and our DJ ate that as his meal.

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

When I said re dinner I think I did mean in between courses. I didn't expect togs to take photos of them actually eating.... Gosh no lol!

Those who said they like to sit away - how does that usually work? Are you sat with other suppliers or literally have a table for one in the room / go elsewhere in the building?

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

I just assumed I would be feeding them and effectively including them as a guest. Though maybe a bit different as his Mrs is a friend of mine, which is partly why he's doing the pictures - plus I love his style. I'm planning on him being there all day, and would feel rude if I didn't include him in the food and drinks, even if he wasn't a 'guest'

I would ask them how they'd like to be sat etc and what they expect re food. Depending on how we decide to do catering, if it's a sit down meal I will place them somewhere he can get up easily if he sees an opportunity.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

Absolutely no food or drink needed I have my own supplies and routines for when I can garb anything, but most of the time I will not have anything food wise.I just don't need it 7/8/12 hours I promise I will not die of starvation.I do have plenty of water.And have far more inportant things to worry about than my belly. And I do not need a break.
    I would even go as far as to say it is rude - I am there to work, I am not a guest. My local venue tells me that they see photographers Husband and wife team helping themselves to welcome drinks, getting a meal, and then also helping to the eve buffet and drinks. All this when you have costed everything down to the last head. Its as though the other partner of the team treats it as a day out.
  • DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

There is always an exception to the rule ?

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I always sit with other suppliers if there are any but more often or not there aren't so I sit on my own.

It's usually at a table close enough to the room so you can hear if something is happening. In the room next to the wedding breakfast room, at the bar etc.

In between courses they are going to be clearing the tables. The turn around is so quick that the last thing you also want is the Photographer getting in their way. People are finishing at different times too. The head table gets served first. They have sometimes finished by the time the last table has been served (depending on the party size).

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

Sitting with guests you don't really know can be real weird / awkward / insulting depending on the guest and how much they've had to drink.

I also was asked to sit at the top table once......that was, weird.

Now I always sit away from the crowd to have some solitude before it goes crazy again.

I wouldn't take any photos of people eating, ever. Sometimes I might duck in between courses when people are talking and having a laugh. Especially if the service is slow. But forks in mouths are a big no.

• Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow, top table?! You should've just given a speech Smiley laugh

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

All the togs we spoke to (4) said 'no eating shots!'

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

This thread has really helped. Suppliers I have are tog, videographer and DJ (from 2pm playing background music).

We have a marquee so will have to give some thought to where is best to put them.

The marquee is to the side of a country pub so could put them in there but they wouldn't be able to 'hear' anything from the marquee if that is important.

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Definitely one for the wedding album!

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

If they are there the whole day, I think you should feed them. Our lovely photographers came down from Cambridge to London, were at ours by 9, and left at about 9-10. they had suppliers meals. Most venues provide suppliers meals.

However, I resented providing suppliers meals for the String Quartet and the DJ, and can't remember if we did or not. The DJ was setting up from about 5 (but didn't start music until 7, so had time for breaks) and there til midnight. The string quartet did 3 hours. To me, that is not a length of service where they require feeding.

I say that as somebody who is regularly in court all day, from 9 until 6. I would never expect my clients to pay for my meals, given they are already paying me £170 odd an hour plus VAT for my delightful services.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The mind boggles Funky!!!!?

??????

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

There is such a rude joe in there somewhere, just dying to get out!

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

️?️

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics