Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Feeding your wedding videographer and photographer???

2013Wedding, 27 of April of 2012 at 19:18 Posted on Planning 0 40

Hello

Do you feed you photographer and videographer?

They are both working over 10 hours, i assume they will have a good breakfast before they leave, but what about in the day? I don't want them to get tired.....

But do i have to provide them with a meal with the sit down dinner???

Any help would be great.

Sarah

40 replies

Latest activity by Red Baroness, 2 of May of 2012 at 12:18
  • Bittersweet
    Beginner June 2012
    Bittersweet ·
    • Hide content

I have paid a small amount for a meal for my TOG and VOG. It'll be something like sandwiches, crisps and fruit and a drink which they will eat at the bar area whilst we are having our wedding breakfast. That way they can have time to chill out and organise anything they need to.

I think it's only fair when they are there for such long periods of time.

ETA- My venue called it a supplier menu, I'm sure all venues provide the same for a small fee, you could ask.

• MrsP2012
    Beginner September 2012
    MrsP2012 ·
    • Hide content

For the money photographers charge id like to think they can feed themselves. I wont be feeding ours. xx

• Bittersweet
    Beginner June 2012
    Bittersweet ·
    • Hide content

I used to have the same opinion as you, but actually what you pay them for it a small reflection on the amount of time they are there on the day. They have hours and hours of editing after our weddings are complete to make the final pictures perfect and amazing. For me, I would prefer my suppliers to be happy on the day which in turn will reflect on the images taken. Nothing worse than being hungry IMO lol.

The food we are providing is something small in price like £10 each, hardly anything when you look at the grand scheme of things.

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

I think you must feed them, no? They would be so hungry otherwise! We will provide a meal for the suppliers in a different room so that they can have a proper break and relax away from the guests etc.

2013Wedding ·
    • Hide content

Yes, I am thinking in the long run they will be working long hours, and i don't want them to get hungry and tired or even leave the reception for a break. So i was thinking of ordering them a main meal? I think if i look after them they will put maximum effort in. My sister is a wedding photographer or use to be and she said it is very tiring carrying a heavy camera all day.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Its in our TOGs contract that we provide them a meal. (The same meal as we are having)

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've always been fed and have never had to ask. That's out of 50 weddings a year. I think I'm approached at least three or four times at every wedding by members of the family (usually mum) asking 'have they fed you yet?' etc.

Policy depends on the venue mind you. I never think it's fair for a bride to cough up the same as the guests but usually venues account for this and have a supplier meal, which may just be the main and that's enough. Buffet's are a different thing altogether with plenty to go around.

Legend has it there's a photographer with a rider which states she must be sat with the guests and fed the same as, a little excessive tbh Smiley laugh. For most a cheeseburger and chips will do, about £10 at the bar.

The only time I did have the hump was when I was told a meal would be provided but the supplier meal consisted of two ham rolls, child sized ones at that. Middle of nowhere, no other food available. So now I have in my contract that 'I don't expect food on the day but would like to know if any is provided'. At least I can prepare that way.

It's heavy strenuous work that the photographer does and it really takes it out of us by around 4pm where we start to flag. Sure, togs are expensive....and ten years ago you got 36 exposures and a lot less coverage for the same relative cost.

It's always a good idea if you have no intention / intention of feeding your tog to let them know as an average wedding for most is leave the house at 10am, returning at 11pm and often the wedding is in the middle of nowhere. Buxted Park being a good example, 20 minutes from so much as a petrol station..... but they always feed you there. Lovely place that.

• M
    Beginner May 2013
    mel&mike ·
    • Hide content

If reding mine regardless of costs....it's only right x

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sitting at the table is a bit much, but I've also never heard of the photography not getting fed! A few we looked at had it in their terms, some specified a hot meal and others just a meal. Ours didn't say anything about, so in an email I told him he would get the wedding breakfast as well, but in the other room. And our venue has a set low price for supplier meals. Easy peasy!

• AllyMcBear
    Beginner June 2012
    AllyMcBear ·
    • Hide content

I asked both of ours if they would like to stay for the meal. Both of them declined - one stays near to the venue so will go home for an hour and the other says he will sit in the bar as he likes to do some editing while having a break.

Both said they were very touched that I asked.

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

We will be paying for the photographer to have a meal from the bar menu, its seems only courteous as he will be there from lunch time until 11pm.

• L
    Beginner June 2013
    Lauko ·
    • Hide content

We will be paying for our photographer to have some food, He is doing it cheaper as a favour to us and what we have saved has been fantastic so its the best we can do although he will be more than likely having it in the bar area

• SadieButterfly
    Beginner September 2013
    SadieButterfly ·
    • Hide content

Our photographers (there'll be 2) have stated that they'll bring their own food, but i'm going to offer them a meal, in a seperate area to us so they won't feel uncomfortable.

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content

Our photographer is a wonderful man and we are happy to have him at the wedding breakfast amongst our guests. I checked with him first to make sure he'd be comfortable with that and he was Smiley smile

• V
    Beginner April 2013
    Vintage84 ·
    • Hide content

We'll definitely be feeding ours, after all he won't be taking pics of everyone eating so its the perfect time for him to have a bite. We're getting married in a large hotel so I'm sure they can accommodate a supplier meal! I wouldn't want my tog to be grumpy, knackered or starving!!

• ESW
    Beginner September 2012
    ESW ·
    • Hide content

Our TOG is old work mate of OH and we have invited her to our wedding breakfast, quite happy to pay for her to join us for her 10 hours of work!

Shes covering until 8pm and then we have asked her and her family to join us in the evening.

• MrsP2012
    Beginner September 2012
    MrsP2012 ·
    • Hide content

Oh right...hmm...better look into that then.

• vicster
    Beginner December 2011
    vicster ·
    • Hide content

Quite early our photographers said they'd (a couple) stay past 8pm if we fed them. I think we would have offered anyway. They knew so of the gusts so we asked if they wanted to sit in, which they did. I think it actually helped for their evening photos as they 'got' the wedding and our friends a bit more, if that makes sense.

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

We asked ours of they wanted feeding and they said that they usually bring a packed lunch. I would just ask.

• MrsP2012
    Beginner September 2012
    MrsP2012 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thats what i thought (dont get free food at my work) I'll just ask the question. Dont know how long he is actually booked for. xx

• A
    andrewj ·
    • Hide content

As a rule, we don't normally get fed ☹️ and we wouldn't dream of asking to be. It is nice & much appreciated when we are offered some sort of refreshment by the couple. Depending on the type of venue we are in it could be some sandwiches, a bowl of soup or the main course (if there are any spares going!) of the wedding breakfast. I personally wouldn't be happy inserting food as a clause in our contract.

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    Nicalf08 ·
    • Hide content

Ours said they bring their own sandwiches regardless because they have had occasions where they've been promised a meal and never been fed and didn't have their own food so they bring their own to make sure they can eat. Personally I couldn't survive a whole day without food, and even sandwiches to me is not a proper meal and wouldn't keep me going from 11am until 8/9pm which is probably how long ours will be with us! I am going to offer/force a proper meal on them when we're eating and they can eat in a separate room of they want, that way they get a proper break. I'll also tell the DJ to help himself to the evening buffet and soft drinks.

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Andrew I am astounded at this. Its just basic polite manners to check you're ok. They wouldn't invite you to their home and not offer you anything to drink or eat!

We asked our TOG and he has refused any food, apparently prefers not to eat when working. Although I would much rather feed him and know he's fed and watered than be worrying about him. Its a long day for him.

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We're the same as Andrew - we'd never dream of having a clause in our contract demanding to be fed. If a couple do offer to provide some food for us, we'll gratefully accept but would never expect this from our clients.

If your photographer or videographer expects a meal from you this will be in their contract. Otherwise don't feel that you *have* to feed them, it's up to you!

Ali x

• Hide content
    View quoted message

It happens quite a bit, it's such a hectic day people get forgotten about sometimes.

I think I was given a meal at 9.30pm...nothing all day and I started at 9am. Big expensive do as well, the chilli con carne I got enough but seeing as I knocked off at 10pm it seemed a bit pointless.

One thing that's worth touching on is if you do feed you supplier, any supplier, that they get the food at the right time. Often suppliers are fed last. Just as the speeches start. There's no practical benefit to this as when the speeches start, we are effectively back to work for the rest of the day.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Dont you take your own packed lunch with you?

• Hide content
    View quoted message

I was told I'd be fed. Everyone sat down at 5.30pm, didn't expect a 4 hour difference tbh.

The only time I get to eat is during the wedding breakfast itself.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WHS. There's no time to eat until the wedding breakfast starts. The most I've ever managed to sneakily stuff in my mouth is one cereal/cake bar thing, but I had to be fast!

I don't think many togs demand a meal, but it is nice when one is provided. It is a very long and fast paced day, so by the time the wedding breakfast comes round I'm starving. Also, I never am able to stomach a hearty breakfast in the morning before setting off. I'm a mixture of excitement and nerves.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Also this.

• SuperDuff
    Beginner November 2013
    SuperDuff ·
    • Hide content

I kind of assumed that you would need to feed anyone that's with you for a long part of the day, but when is the best time to feed a TOG? I haven't chosen mine yet, but most of the companies we're looking at have two TOGs - do they relay? Sorry if this seems like a really stupid question.

Thanks!

• Hide content
    View quoted message

They generally work together all day. Sometimes I'm booked for the day, the other for half. I've one soon where I'm there from 10am till 8pm but Laura is with us from 3pm-7pm.

• A
    andrewj ·
    • Hide content

When you sit down for the wedding breakfast is the best/only time available, jsut make sure they've managed to finish before the speeches start? There's no mileage in photographing people eating, so I normally wait until everyone has sat down , shoot some overhead shots of the room when it's full & then collapse until it's cake cutting time or the speeches start. We arn't usually offered a meal, although we may be offered a single course or some sandwiches (sometimes by the venue taking pity on us!!). To be honest, I think that the food is very expensive per head & I wouldn't expect a bride to pay for us to eat, although we are very appreciative of those that do, also... I don't think my figure could take that many 3 course meals? so something light is good.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics