Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

essex_charlene
Beginner September 2012

Feel so awkward - opinions please!

essex_charlene, 24 March, 2012 at 23:20 Posted on Planning 0 14

I have always felt awful about asking for any gift for our wedding and had always planned not to ask for anything. But after a friends wedding last year who received of unwanted gifts which she couldnt use (there are only so many toasters/sets of plates etc you can use) the gifts ended up being more of a burden and she felt so awful for the guests who had insisted on spending money out for a gift that wouldnt be used, I had a rethink. It is clear that although you dont ask or expect a gift the majority of guests WILL buy a gift. After reading lots of posts on here about asking for money/honeymoon contributions we decided to set up a gift list on Kuoni for our honeymoon. I didnt want to put in one of them poems. I have put this on the information card and included a card for the gift list sent to us by Kuoni:

Gifts: The most important thing for us is your presence during the day to celebrate our marriage and gifts are by no means expected.

If however, you do feel you would like to give something, a contribution towards the honeymoon would be appreciated. To celebrate our wedding we're going on an once-in-a-lifetime honeymoon that will give us memories we'll always remember. Our honeymoon gift list shows what we've got planned so you can see how we plan to use your kind wedding gift.

I have sent the invites out today but I still have this really horrible awkward feelng that ppl think we assume they will give us a gift and that we are asking for money. The last thing I want to do is offend anybody.

What are your thoughts on this? please make me feel better lol xx

14 replies

Latest activity by essex_charlene, 30 March, 2012 at 19:14
  • essex_charlene
    Beginner September 2012
    essex_charlene ·
    • Hide content

I should also point out it is a general thing and ppl dont buy experiences they can contribute as little or as much as they want.... I didnt want anybody to feel like they had to spend a certain amount....

WHYYYYYY is it sooooo difficult..... Smiley sad

• sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content

This is exactly what we did and u have written it pretty much the same. We set up a separate bank account and included this so people could transfer it also. You wording is lovely Smiley smile

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

We put exactly the same, although we made it sound less optional!

• essex_charlene
    Beginner September 2012
    essex_charlene ·
    • Hide content

Sian, thanks so much for replying.... I dont know what it is but I keep thinking everyone opening there invites are thinking 'cheeky b*****ds! I really hope im wrong! lol xxx

the wording took me ages.... haha thanks for saying that xxx

• essex_charlene
    Beginner September 2012
    essex_charlene ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

what wording did you use hun? xx

• sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content

We wrote this:

As we are already living together we have decided not to compile a traditional gift list. We are however heading off on our honeymoon to Mexico and any financial donations towards this would be gratefully received. Please do not feel obliged as it’s your company we want. You are welcome to make a deposit into the following Lloyds accounts, please include your name as a reference. Name: Sort Code: Account Number:

• essex_charlene
    Beginner September 2012
    essex_charlene ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

thats lovely sian :0) not long to go!!! how you getting on? xx

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

We just took out the bit about guests not having to bring anything and their presence being the most important thing. The sentence started with "if you wish to buy us a gift...". Its very to the point I know, but personally, I wouldn't dream of turning up at a wedding empty handed (esecially as we'll be forking out £85 pp!) and would probably be pretty peeved if someone did. But that's more my issue with manner than being money-grabbing, I felt that if we made it sound optional then we would only have ourselves to blame, when we are narked off because someone was rude enouh to turn up empty handed for a free day out. Anyway, I think it's fairly standard these days that people will suggest a financial contribution to their honeymoon etc, rather than a gift list or nothing at all, so I no longer think it's considered rude, but the norm.

• essex_charlene
    Beginner September 2012
    essex_charlene ·
    • Hide content

I think u r right about it being the norm now. thanks for ur help xxx

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

I think you did it the best possible way.

You will always get some of the older generation who won't necessarily like it, they might get you a present instead. (Thats what my mum does so imagine how weird it is for me trying to do a gift list etc when she thinks they're rude lol)

• sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We have had a good planning weekend this week, got suits done, met with venue to discuss times and menus etc... Hair trial done, made my own personalised hangers, made hip my cup cake cake holders and even had time to do some honeymoon clothes shopping Smiley smile

• B
    Beginner February 2013
    Bride123 ·
    • Hide content

I think what you have written is fine and also Sian's text is also good too. I think it is always awkward asking people to part with their money and there will always be someone who isn't happy doing it! The important thing is it is your wedding so it is what you want that matters - if you don't ask you won't get, but what is important is the way you ask too!

• essex_charlene
    Beginner September 2012
    essex_charlene ·
    • Hide content

Thanks so much xxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics