Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

venart
Beginner June 2013

Feeling decidedly UNwedding-y :(

venart, 12 February, 2012 at 11:18 Posted on Planning 0 13

This has happened far earlier than I'd hoped. We booked out venue and paid the deposit about 3 weeks ago now, I've picked out a dress and have a dressmaker sourcing fabrics for me now, we've decided on a photographer, we've drawn up our budget and I've decided to let me BMs pick their own dresses when we go shopping in June in Toronto, and now I feel utterly deflated!

Did I make my decisions too quickly? Because of our venue, we don't need all the extras like cars, and I've decided to DIY the flowers and cake (which I've started testing recipes for- YUM!), and I can't figure out my floral arrangements until I see what's good in late June and check prices, and I'm not having the dress actually MADE until July, as I want to lose a bit of weight. And we're not going back to the venue until June, either, as that's when my mom is coming over to England!

So now I feel like I have nothing to do! I look at pictures of my dress and venue every day, and I fall more and more in love with them. But I feel like I'm falling into a bit of a depression realizing how much time there is until the actual wedding.

Has anyone else experienced this? What did you do to push past? I find myself coming on this forum more and more to get a fix of weddinginess recently!

13 replies

Latest activity by venart, 13 February, 2012 at 20:51
  • Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Sounds exactly like me, and with the same sort of timescale as well! We got engaged and set our date with about 18/19months to go, I was so excited and got our venue, tog, dress, etc all sorted pretty quick and then with about 16months to go I lost interest in booking anything as it seemed too early for lots of other things so I kept my eye out but wasn't obsessive about it. Now as I approach my year to go I've pulled my finger out and am now in full flow again, but I'm sure that'll drop off at some stage as well which is why I'm making the most of it!!

So in short I'd say not to worry, this is natural, don't force yourself to sort stuff if you're not feeling weddingy as you may make decisions you later regret. Ride it out and then when you get your mojo back get cracking again.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Maybe just stop for a bit now? You don't have to feel weddingy the whole time. We got everything arranged with about 16 months to go as well, I felt a bit odd not planning for a while, but soon realised regular life was ok without constantly wedding planning! Just have a little break and come back to it after a few weeks and you will feel differently I imagine.

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

To be honest I would just relish the break and just be pleased you've got some of it sorted in advance. I hit a wall before christmas when it was too early to do loads of stuff. It will soon come around, trust me! When we booked we had just over 13 months to go. Now i'm facing six months and have no idea how its zoomed past so quickly. the time will just fly by, don't worry and relax Smiley smile

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

Thanks you guys, I wish I could be on this wedding high I've had since Christmas the entire time, but it's impossible. I'll try to get my mind on other things for a while I guess.

• Cilla
    Beginner April 2012
    Cilla ·
    • Hide content

I'm sure it's totally normal. I went through fits and starts in wedding planning too. When all the major stuff was booked I just couldn't be bothered for a while then suddenly it would pick up again and I'd do a load more. Its probably no bad thing because you'll likely change your mind about some of the little details between now and then anyway

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

When I got stuck, before I abandoned planning for a bit, I think I started researching honeymoons, readings, music for different points of the wedding, groom's journals for gifts, personalised thanks cards for wedding party, building a wedding website, underwear, hair accessories. If you do a site search there's bound to be loads of lists of things you can do in response to people asking Hitched 'what do I do now?' cos mine is definitely there somewhere!

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks... unfortunately I've already made the website (https://anthonyandemily.gettingmarried.co.uk/), decided to have no readings, picked out music for processional, recessional, drinks reception, and first dance, I've come up with the bridal party presents, all the stationery, picked out my underwear and hair accessories. We've also been discussing honeymoon possibilities, but we haven't come to a consensus yet Smiley smile I suppose the one thing I haven't sorted is a DJ!

Yeah, I really have been in overdrive. I'm going to step back. I've been unemployed and only temping 1 or 2 days a week since I got engaged, and starting tomorrow I'm working full time for 4-6 weeks, so I'm hoping that will distract me from lack of wedding details to suss out. Hopefully I can just relax and look forward to the bridal shower (got to love the north american tradition of giving the bride presents just for being a bride).

• Duckford20
    Beginner April 2012
    Duckford20 ·
    • Hide content

I think this happens. We booked 18 months before wedding and once all the big stuffs booked it is a bit of a waiting game till nearer the time. I found that if you make too many decisions early on, you change your mind anyway. Just enjoy your researching, it will soon come round and you will get your wedding buzz back!

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

I tried to space out all my tasks after I'd booked the main things so this didn't happen. It worked up to a point. I think the first year of my planning dragged, and felt forever until the 6 month to go mark.

Unfortunately time is ticking away a bit too quickly now. I didn't believe the OMs when they said this 6 months ago!

• *sweetpea*
    Beginner July 2012
    *sweetpea* ·
    • Hide content

Aw Venart! My theory is that it's like the run up to Christmas....you know those days in December when you just don't feel Chrismassy despite the impending excitement? I think it's humanly impossible to stay feeling weddingy all of the time. Like others I have peaks and troughs so when a trough comes I just throw myself into other areas of my life that I have perhaps neglected what with all the wedding planning!! The fab feelings will come and go but don't get blue about it! xx

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I wish that tradition would come to the north of England!

Maybe time to put the focus back on you, your family/friends, your job, planning a trip, or some other kind of project then and come back to wedding planning more refreshed. Hope the new full time job works out well for you Smiley smile

• lurvlytwink
    Beginner June 2012
    lurvlytwink ·
    • Hide content

Venart i've had this. people told me to be happy i'd managed to be so organise and enjoy the rest.

last week i had wedding wobbles so spend the weekend not thinking about the wedding at all but concentrating on the house Smiley smile

for me its all a bit over whelming someitimes & a bit all consuming that it is good to have a break from it now and again Smiley smile

• princesssaraht
    Beginner December 2012
    princesssaraht ·
    • Hide content

Hi I had the same timescale as you when we booked it all, and the calm doesnt last for long; enjoy this time to just browse around the web/forums and look for any unusual ideas to add some sparkle to the day. With nine months to go now, I am back in overdrive with lots to do. Time will fly, I promise!!!

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Good to know Smiley smile I did get an email from my dressmaker saying they'd be able to recreate the lace almost perfectly, and I let out a little whoop, and then I got another email from the venue saying a confirmation pack was posted today, and I got a little excited.

So maybe I'm not entirely unwedding-y afterall Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics