Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsMac2be
Super May 2015

Feeling old and ugly following make-up trial :( *Now updated with Flashes*

MrsMac2be, 18 of July of 2014 at 22:01 Posted on Planning 0 28

I had my 1st make-up trial yesterday and I looked like a sodding clown, with gold and black eyeshadow, eyeliner on my waterline which made my eyes look small and "piggy" together with bright orange lipstick, it really has knocked my self confidence. I feel as if she was taking the p1ss out of me..

Today its really hit me and I feel really ugly and old. I'm thinking that I've made a mistake buying a "proper" wedding dress and that I shouldn't be feeling like a bride.

I feel like selling my dress etc and just wearing "old lady" clothes as that's how the whole thing has made me left to feel.

Really upset and miserable as I was so looking forward to it too. I wont attach a picture as I don't want to be the laughing stock on here of some people...

28 replies

Latest activity by BABA, 5 of August of 2021 at 12:54
  • M
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsB2015 ·
    • Hide content

Aw Hun please don't be down. Defo go for a trial with someone else and don't think about selling your dress!!!

Xxx

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

And that is the reason why you should have a trial now.....so you can ditch the crap and find someone that can make you into the best version of you.

Seriously. ...its not you...its her.You are and will look amazing x

• .A.S.
    Beginner July 2014
    .A.S. ·
    • Hide content

Mrsmac2be... What an awful way to feel. Completely unnecessary and I'm sure it's completely unfounded. I would really love to help in any way I can... Make up and hair are two things that can seem so unimportant in day to day life but on your wedding day they can be magnified into horrid, great scary monsters.

if you want to send me a picture privately we can have a chat and hopefully I can dispel some of your concerns. Other hitchers on here will hopefully let you know I'm not scary and I'm actually a little bit helpful Smiley smile

Can I ask where you are based?

for what it's worth - no one is ever too old to be a bride, and you are the most beautiful creature on the planet to your H2B. Try not to lose sight of that in the wedding mania x

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content

I looked as though a 5 year old had fallen into their Mothers make-up bag, you see some funny kiddie pictures of them covered in their mums make-up.. that's exactly how I felt, I looked completely stupid!!!

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Sending you hugs!! I felt the same after my first trial. I asked for natural but ended up looking as if I didn't really have much make up on at all. When the rest of my girls had theirs done, they looked gorgeous and I felt awful.

But... I found a new mua who listened to what I had to say, asked questions, looked at the photos from the first trial and made suggestions without criticising the first lady. I feel about a million times more confident.

Go and find a better mua who pays attention and don't let this experience colour your opinion of yourself xxx

• Curlysuzie
    Beginner September 2014
    Curlysuzie ·
    • Hide content

I'm sure you are not old and ugly! As the others have said I would have a trial with someone else, your MUA must not be very good if she can't make you feel beautiful!

xx

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you for your kind words Smiley smile

Sparkly gold eyeshadow up to my eyebrows, black eyeshadow on my lower lids and out at the corners, bright orange lipstick... I looked like something from the Rocky Horror Show.. I'm based in Lincolnshire x

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

In which case she needs further training. No one should make you look or feel like that. And you have every right to wear a beautiful wedding dress....no more talk of getting rid, please.

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

Aw sweetie! *hugs* If you did look awful, that's the fault of the makeup artist, not you! It sounds like she didn't do her job properly.

Please don't think you shouldn't wear a traditional wedding dress or feel like a bride. Every bride-to-be should feel that she looks beautiful, especially for her wedding day. ☹️

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I echo everything the other lovely ladies have said.

i went for an ad hoc trial at Elizabeth Arden in debenhams. I came out looking like the child catcher from Chitty Chitty bang bang. I felt awful and pretty much like you. Since then I've had a proper trial with my MUA which was ok. Not 100% but better. Then the lovely Nearly Mrs ASF on here came along and gave me some amazing pointers. I went to see a Clinique lady and she was great. I also had an impromptu trial withe Yves st. Laurent at Hoopers and had a ball. I've been playing myself after getting samples and now feel so much better about what I can look like. Not just for my wedding but on a daily basis. There is an element of recognising the age I am, and what I can and can't get away with, but the make up should fit with how your skin is, your colouring and the person that you are. Get it right and you will look lovely. Don't allow someone's incompetence to spoil your wedding. You deserve a lovely day and to enjoy the run up. Xx

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

Don't let this get you down hun, the MUA who clearly has absolutely no idea what she was doing!!

Try someone else OR check out youtube for bridal make-up tutorials, there are tons on there! You might even be able to do it yourself rather than paying for someone else to do it Smiley smile

The colours she chose doesn't seem typically bridal to me, more like a night out on the tiles! (Each to their own though, some brides love orange lippie)!

Chin up, you will look FABULOUS!! Smiley smile

• S
    Beginner September 2014
    SoontobeMrsR ·
    • Hide content

Sending you hugs xx

this MUA is obviously very inexperienced as she doesn't know how to complete net your features

I agree with everything that has been said, don't let anyone make you feel you shouldn't wear your beautiful dress, you will look lovely I am sure.

find a new MUA, one who understands how to do their job!

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    H3LEN ·
    • Hide content

Like someone else said this is down to her not you. I'm sure you're beautiful once you start be living it you will become more beautiful. Try another make up artist or experiment yourself. You know what you like and suits you. Have a looke through the internet or magazine and show the new one what you like.

I'm doing my own make up I can't stand other people touching my face or up close to me. I'm just putting more on that I would usually wear and new mascara and lipstick just taking more care than normal.

• MrsGreen-27/9/14
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsGreen-27/9/14 ·
    • Hide content

Sending hugs!!! I'm just going to echo what everyone else has said, don't let the MUA's incompetence upset you. You just need to find someone who knows what they're doing! Clearly she hasn't got a clue about bridal make up, it should make you feel better about yourself not worse, she needs to go back to beauty school! (Starts singing 'beauty school drop out' from Greese) And don't you dare sell your dress, we'll all be cross with you if you do!!! ? You have every right to wear your beautiful gown, it's your wedding day, it doesn't matter if you're 18 or 80+, if you want it you deserve to have it.

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content

Ok, I had a bloody good cry last night and this morning gave myself a good talking to again.. I have, this morning, tried to do my own make-up, I'm not at all photogenic so apologies for my ugly mug Smiley smile

What do you think, please be honest? Many thanks for all your kind messages last night and this morning x

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

I am no expert on make up, but I think you look gorgeous!!! Certainly not old and definitely worthy of a wedding dress xxx

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

See?! Not ugly or old at all!

Your eyes look fantastic, but I'm not sure the colour of the lipstick is the best shade for you. I'm not in any way a makeup expert so others might say differently, but the one thing that struck me from those pictures, was that maybe a lipstick with a slightly more red tone might flatter you more. Your mouth has a great shape - it might be nice to draw attention to it (especially on your wedding day, when it's going to be doing all that kissing ?)

• MrsGreen-27/9/14
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsGreen-27/9/14 ·
    • Hide content

Ooh hun I don't know what you're worrying about, seriously! You don't look old, and stop putting yourself down. It looks amazing you've done a wonderful job there really nice x

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content

Thank you ladies, that does mean a lot Smiley smile

Madam Red, I've always wore a nude lipstick, I suppose I'm "frightened" of colour on my lips but I'll definitely have a look at other colours though, maybe a more pinky-red? x

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I concur with the other comments - you look lovely - don;t even doubt about not having the full works!!!

I would try some different lip colours though just because Smiley smile I had a really good impromtu trial at an Yves St Laurent counter where she tried a lip gloss on me that I would never have tried and the colour was amazing. I did take a pic so will try and put it up here in a bit. So do go to other make up counters and just try different shades. A quality counter should help - but not all are great! If you don't like the colour, tell them and try another.

eta - here's the pic I promised. Please excuse the hair and my squinting and tranklements around my neck - we were in Harorgate for the day watching Le Tour de France and it was a bit breezy but very bright lol. I loved this shade of pink and it lasted for ages.

This is what my MUA acheived in April:

sorry if they're massive :/

• C
    Beginner October 2014
    CoopsJ68 ·
    • Hide content

I'm glad overnight made you feel better. No one should be made to feel old or ugly ( and you certainly are not ! ) especially when preparing for their Wedding Day. I'm no expert with make up either ( I'm having my trial today so fingers crossed ) but the make up you have done looks lovely. Don't let that MUA put you off , take on board the comments of others and do your own or give another one a try. I'm sure they won't all be the same :-)

• charliejack
    Beginner October 2014
    charliejack ·
    • Hide content

Aww youre not old or ugly, your flashes are beautiful xx

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content

Pammy67, you look absolutely lovely, in both of the pictures but your MUA/wedding make-up trial picture is really natural and very pretty Smiley smile x

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

aaw thanks hun. the only thing i would like her to better is concealer on my dark circles. She used Mac foundation and shadow. with the tiniest waft of blusher. x

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content

Hi MrsPDMtobe, I have and used the shimmer palette, I bought it ages ago and I do love it, I generally use whilst on my holidays but I did use a bit this morning across my forehead and cheeks. I will definitely try a darker shade of lipstick and thank you everyone for your lovely messages x

• C
    Beginner
    casgup ·
    • Hide content

Crikey! Before I had seen the flashes, I had pictured you in my head. After seeing the flash; I'm gob smacked. You are not old, nor ugly. Stop being so hard on yourself! You look beautiful x

• Tinker02
    Beginner July 2015
    Tinker02 ·
    • Hide content

MrsMac2be Please dont feel like this. Hold your chin high, keep your dress and find a new MUA I am sure it will all turn out ok in the end. If you did attach a picture I don't think anyone would laugh, maybe even get some advise for experts on here. If you did try and just do your own make up remember and put on a bit more than you normally would for the sake of your photographs. Please don't let this person spoil the best day of your life.

• Tinker02
    Beginner July 2015
    Tinker02 ·
    • Hide content

MrsMac2be you certainly dont look old and certainly not ugly. Your make up looks great but I do agree maybe a slighly darker lippy. But I think the make up counter trials sound like a good idea. I think I will give them try. CHin up you look fab n thats without your hair done. :o)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics