Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

yorkshirekiwi
Beginner August 2014

Feeling Sad and Lonely

yorkshirekiwi, 9 of April of 2014 at 09:29 Posted on Planning 0 22

So, tomorrow my Mum and Bridesmaid are going bridesmaid dress shopping......without me!

I live in NZ and they and the wedding are in England, we have all talked loads about colour schemes and styles so I totally trust them, I just feel gutted at not being there.

Wedding planning is becoming a really lonely experience. I'm doing it all on my own. My partner is simply not interested. Don't get me wrong we can't wait to be Mr and Mrs, its just that he thinks we 'wedding' is unnecessary, he'd happily just go to a New Zealand registry office and ask strangers to be witnesses, so while the marriage is for us both, the wedding is definitely for me. At first it was fun to have all my own way, but now I want someone to share my excitement and discuss ideas with.

Thanks heavens for this forum, you ladies all make me feel much less alone.

22 replies

Latest activity by yorkshirekiwi, 16 of April of 2014 at 02:41
  • miss pickle
    Beginner June 2014
    miss pickle ·
    • Hide content

Aw, I'm sure they will take plenty of pictures to send you ;-)

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    H3LEN ·
    • Hide content

Awww I'm sure they will take plenty of photos.

Ask them to do a photo diary for you. I know it may be a bit late now but sure they will include you has much as possible

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Oh I'm sorry - it's a long way and not nice to feel isolated. Do you have any friends out there? Perhaps tell someone how you're feeling and organise weddingy days - do they have wedding fairs or anything there? You just need an injection of a little bit of wedding attention to get you back on the straight and narrow. Even if you crack yourself open a bottle of bubbles and get on facetime with them for a bridesmaid cat walk show!?

They'll all be with you soon Smiley smile x

• Red Kite
    Beginner
    Red Kite ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't have anything to add but sending you a *hug* and agreeing with Sillywrong's idea of facetime and bubbles.

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I thought this too, thats a lovely idea.

sorry your lonely *internet hugs*

• lilbeth
    Beginner July 2015
    lilbeth ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hear that you are feeling left out.

Is there anyway to be there without being there? Like them sending pictures, face time, Skype, that sort of thing?

The thing I have found good is Pinterest, my best friend and I are sharing a board and we both save pictures that we think are good, it's good to show each other our ideas and also it can be quite exciting seeing the pins that the other person has put up.

Hope it becomes more positive for you.

• yorkshirekiwi
    Beginner August 2014
    yorkshirekiwi ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone. I've told them that I'll be staying up tonight, so no time is too late to skype me. They're both a bit technophobic, so hopefully they'll work out how to do it from their phones! I've decided I'm going to put myself in a weddingy space while I wait for their call by making my invitations. Love the idea of the bubbles, but I might give that a miss as I don't want to end up making wonky invites!

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I really felt for you as I read this, but had the same thoughts as others. With technology these days you can be there. If they use Skype, face time or even just a simple video call you can see what's going on and be part of the decision making process. All they need is a smart phone and/or a tablet like an iPad. If you can't set it up for tomorrow, could you suggest they wait a couple of days maybe so that you can set it up. I'm sure they'd love it if you could be there albeit a virtual you too.

As a minimum they could text you photo's as they're looking at and trying dresses on so you can have your input. I know it's not always cheap to send pics etc - but if they can get onto wifi then it's free. What's app is good for android/iPhones - not for iPad though grrr.

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    H3LEN ·
    • Hide content

Pammy, thought I would share with you about whatsapp. I love it, the kids take the mick out of me because on my status on whatsapp. "I only have whatsapp to send free photos" haha.

If other people don't have I phones your right it can be expensive. Whatsapp solves all my problems. ?

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I completely understand this as my OH is exactly the same. I have asked him for input into music and readings but he just rubbishes everything I come up with and then makes stupid suggestions (eg highway to hell as our walking out song). He couldn't be less interested in it all if he tried.

I've recently moved to London for work and so whilst I have had a couple of dress shopping trips back up north with my friends the vast majority I'm doing alone. And its hard. There are so many decisions to make and sometimes it would be nice for someone to give me a steer.

Sending you weirdy internet hugs - and flash all your stuff so we can help you get excited!

• yorkshirekiwi
    Beginner August 2014
    yorkshirekiwi ·
    • Hide content

I just had the first message to say they've met and are having coffee. Appointment number 1 is in 30 mins. H2B think I'm bonkers for waiting up, but I can't help it. Booked the photographer today and had an e-mail to say my shoes have been despatched, so I'm on a happy up-swing!

Cinnamon, we can be wedding widows together!!

How do you flash pics on here?

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    H3LEN ·
    • Hide content

Hope your feeling a little better about it now.

Flashing-the strip at the top next door but one of the smiley face to the left looks like negatives click on that.

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

By the way where in NZ are you? I spent some time there and have some friend there (some I made there, another of my friends emigrated out there) in Wellington.

OH is always on about us moving out to NZ!

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

So glad you're feeling better! I hadn't commented before because I felt all I could do was send you completely inadequate hugs!! I hope the catwalk goes well and you get some gorgeous photos of some beautiful dresses x

• yorkshirekiwi
    Beginner August 2014
    yorkshirekiwi ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all. Ended up with wine, My Best Friends Wedding on DVD, sitting up till 3am and intermittent live Facebook chats with photo's. It was really lovely. The new drama is that it turns out the colour I really wanted doesn't suit my BM at all!!!! So having a re-think and will do take 2 sometime soon!!

SillyWrong, I am in Waihi, at the top of the Bay of Plenty and the bottom of the Coromandel. It's gorgeous. Don't regret moving here at all, just feel a long way from home at times!

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Isn't that where that big festival thing happens at new year!?

• SunnyOrangeFlowers21
    Beginner August 2014
    SunnyOrangeFlowers21 ·
    • Hide content

I know you feel like you're missing out a bit on the whole planning 'experience' but it is your planning experience - a bit different but no less worthy than anyone elses. I've done a lot online because my BM and mum are in Scotland (she came down here to do the dress shopping but now it's arrived it's been sent to my mum's and she's trying it on there tomorrow - must have a chat with her about skype beforehand!) We asked our ushers via twitter and facebook because they're all over the place too (London and Edinburgh), and I've found the ladies on here to be brilliant at squealing in all the right places!

• yorkshirekiwi
    Beginner August 2014
    yorkshirekiwi ·
    • Hide content

So, after all that I think we may have found the dress...........on ebay! The neckline and shape of the straps is almost identical to my dress, and it's a lace up back which will mirror mine too.

I'm a touch nervous about buying online, you can never really be sure of the quality but the seller has great feedback and has a solid looking returns policy so fingers crossed. Not sure on colour. I was hoping for Sage, but BM prefers Teal. she has agreed to buy both and send me pics of her in them so we can decide together which suits her best. Bless her heart, she's a fab friend.

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

This made me chuckle, uk-kiwi and NcNZ, it's like a BM swap, I love it! The all encompassing Hitched provides for all brides in all circumstances Smiley smile

• kiwi_girl
    Beginner May 2015
    kiwi_girl ·
    • Hide content

I understand how you must feel too uk-kiwi, and NcNZ!! It's hard when you're on the other side of the world to those most important to you. But you are right, technology is great these days, and I'm so glad everything worked out for you on the day uk-kiwi!!

Gosh, there seem to be a few of us either in NZ or from NZ here! ?

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Love them Smiley smile Could you tell me who the ebay seller is please. Might have a look for my BMs Smiley smile

• yorkshirekiwi
    Beginner August 2014
    yorkshirekiwi ·
    • Hide content

Hi Pammy..

Can't see the pictures on my above post anymore. Anyway, the link to the particular listing is here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200908503167?ru=http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=200908503167&_rdc=1

The Seller is my_angel_star

I haven't done much browsing as my BM found the perfect dress straight off, but I'm sure they will have a few nice styles.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics