Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Miss Twizz
Beginner February 2014

Fees – feeling ripped off

Miss Twizz, 15 of January of 2014 at 19:39 Posted on Planning 0 12

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE

I know it’s a church and all, but I’m feeling really ripped off and upset right now Smiley sad when we first approached our Rector in March 2013 about getting married in 2014 she gave us a sheet with the fees on. Everything was budgeted for including a choir and organist which we felt was important for us.

Fast forward to just over 5 weeks before our wedding and I receive the following email from the parish office:

“Attached is a note of the fees for your wedding on 22 February. The Church of England Statutory Fees increased on January 1 2014 so you will find that the total is more than the figures given to you by the Rector. If you have any queries, please ring or email me. Not much longer to go now!”

The fees in the invoice are:

Church Fee £517

Organist £120

Choir £110

Verger £80

Total: £827

BUT the original fees sheet we have (discussed with the Rector AND budgeted for) are:

Church Fee £406

Organist £120

Choir £110

Verger £80

Total: £716

That’s a difference of £111 to find from nowhere 5 weeks before the wedding!! There was no mention about the fees possibly rising when we were given the original figures so that’s what was budgeted for.

Aside from the short notice, I have been doing some research and found a parish that posted their 2014 fees online. Theirs are:

Basic Fees: £418

Organist: £60

Heating: £20

(no option of choir)

Why are our basic fees £100 more? So this prompted me to look at the CofE website where I find that the “statutory fees” are £417!! Almost bang on the fees for the Parish of Forton but £100 less than ours!

Sorry for the long rant ladies! But I just feel really dejected and upset now. I don’t know where we’re going to produce £100 from at this short notice n we have all the other (budgeted for) final invoices to pay, and I can’t believe the huge difference between the “statutory fees” and our church fee, not to mention the high price for the organist compared to the other parish I just found! (although we were at least able to budget for this!) So sad it’s turning this sour so close to our special day.

12 replies

Latest activity by **Claire**, 16 of January of 2014 at 08:49
  • LoveIsEasy
    Beginner May 2015
    LoveIsEasy ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hear that you're having this trouble so close to your wedding.

Is there any chance that the £100 difference is actually a mistake? Could you give them a ring or email to ask?

I spoke to our reverend yesterday and he told me to budget £600 for our wedding next year so to me that does seem high, but ours doesn't include a choir.

I hope you can sort something out.

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

That does suck.

I'd be having a word with them. say you were given no notice fees could increase and you haven't budgeted for it and therefore can't afford it. I would ask them to honour their existing fees. I imagine they have some discretion with this, but stand to be corrected....

• Miss Twizz
    Beginner February 2014
    Miss Twizz ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies, I hadn't thought of that.... I think I will phone them incase there's been some sort of mistake! Wow I really hope there has been! Even with the original fees it was costing us more to marry in church than it would have been to just do the whole thing with a civil ceremony at our reception venue. That was hard enough to take but now this ☹️ feels like such a kick in the teeth for trying to be good and do things right ☹️

• Miss Twizz
    Beginner February 2014
    Miss Twizz ·
    • Hide content

Not that civil wedding isn't good or the wrong way!!!! That came out totally wrong! Just feels good and right to us personally I mean ? xxx

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

Are you able to bring this up with the rector and query the price difference? £111 is a lot of difference!

is c of e more expensive than c o wales? when we got wed in 2011 all I paid was £20 for the organist, £140 for the church and 2 x £35 for the banns ( different parishes)

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Cheaper than my church!! Mine was £850 just for the service and organist, was an extra £280 for bells!! But we didn't want to get married anywhere else.

When I booked the church they gave me the prices for that year, and said it would increase every January. The final price was a fair bit higher than the initial quote. When you enquired initially did they say prices subject to change?

c of e churches have to charge the minimum fees, but can then charge what they like on top.

• S
    Beginner April 2014
    sophiesofa ·
    • Hide content

When you ring if they say 'no you have to pay the 2014 fee' I think you should request to pay the additional £100 a month later as you hadn't budgeted for it, and quite simply don't have it yet. I don't think they can say no to that.

Beginner April 2014
    **Claire** ·
    • Hide content

I would hope this is an error. Really can't imagine the Church of England put their fees up by over £100. But going from £406 to £417 would sound reasonable.

• J
    Beginner August 2014
    JontyDoggle ·
    • Hide content

Hi we got shown the CoE 2013 fees, and also shown what they were going up to for 2014 when we booked (as it was nearly 2014 by then anyway). The church did go up to £417 from about £406. I think it's just a typo.

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    HundredMonkeys ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it's a mistake because they say in the email to you about "finding the prices a bit higher than what the rector gave you". Sorry, but it seems definite. I would give them a ring and ask if you can pay the remaining £100 after the wedding and that you budgeted based on the other figures. Let's not forget that it's a church - they are treating you very much like a customer rather than a parishioner! I wouldn't worry, I'm sure you can come to some agreement. It is very wrong of them though. We are getting married in a Catholic Church and ours is something like £35!

• Bride2Bmarch15
    Beginner March 2015
    Bride2Bmarch15 ·
    • Hide content

BLIMEY WHAT HAPPENED TO HONERING THE PRICES ! YOU HAD BOOKED AT THE TIME IT WAS LESS SO THEY SHOULD KEEP TO THAT ! ID BE ANNOYED TOO

Beginner April 2014
    **Claire** ·
    • Hide content

Seeing the fees Jonty has quoted, I would respond along the lines of, you know CofE fees gave gone up £11 this year, and that's fine, but you are wondering about the other £100 increase. The church are a bit more tied to charge set fees but if they have made the extra increase themselves that seems unfair. Hopefully they will respond it us a mistake, especially as the rector didn't contact you directly.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics