Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

adgabe

Fellow photographers... HEEEELLLP! What to do about my own photographer?

adgabe, 10 of May of 2014 at 17:11 Posted on Planning 0 36

Okay, so maybe some of you photographers in this here place had the same dilemma if you were already a professional photographer when you got married..

The *Do I tell?* problem:

We are gettimg married in the dizzy heights of the Scottish Highlands, so a little limited in the regional and, particularly, local choice of photographers. I have looked at websites and the best I could say about some of the work was that it as technically competent, which is a start... But nothing which inspired me as a bride, never mind as a photographer.

Okay. Not the end of the world... Technically competent and truly professional is better than nothing, especially nowadays in our industry. I am sure you get my jist.

My worry is this: Ideally I would like to book someone whose work I can say I admire. I approached a photographer I have known for a whole, in Scotland, by emailing him and asking him if he was available. NO REPLY! What? Really?

I then approached another photographer I know, a bit further south. I called this time. Asked for availabliy and a quote. *I'll get back to you*. Nope. Nothing.

So, sick of it all, I emailed a local photographer to the ceremony, whose work I find a bit *conservative* but whom is clearly competent. I did not tell him who I am. He is availble and sendng a quote.

MOH reckons I should tell him who I am and what I do, and ask for a quote for the RAW files.

I disagree.

If anyone contacted me asking for this, I would decline them and I am sure you understand why.

When I approached my photography friends I did not ask for the RAW files, just shoot and burn, which they offer all their clients as I want to do my wn album with Graphi, so this cannot be the reason they let me down, and I can only assume they are put off by photographing another photographer's wedding.

Now I am in a dilema. Do I tell my photographer who I am and what I do and try to *negotiate* the RAW files (Even typing this is grinding on me!) or just keep quiet? Did you encounter this dilema with your own wedding? How would you feel if I was booking you and did not tell you what I do?

**PS: Any ther suppliers are welcome to contribute!

Thank you!

Andrea de Gabriel

36 replies

Latest activity by One Little Daisy, 16 of May of 2014 at 09:43
  • Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

We had this dilemma too!

When we very first got engaged, we went to a wedding fair just for a look around. When we got over to the photographer we got a sales pitch before we were even able to look at any work. It was just lie after lie. It was basically a pitch to scare monger people into booking them and preferably there and then I suppose. Obviously they didn't know us from Adam so didn't know that we knew better. That was a bit of an eye opener into how others do business. I think until that point we'd naively assumed that everyone was as open and honest as we (like to think we) are.

After that we decided to keep quiet about it (unless of course they already knew us and what we did). We wanted to know who someone really was professionally before committing to a booking.

When we eventually found our TOG we ended up chatting away for hours and the nature of the conversation eventually turned more technical so it just came out. By that time it was fine though and we'd made a decision. We've not asked for the raws though. It wasn't something that either of us really wanted or felt was essential.

Personally, if I was in that situation again i'd not mention it at the time of enquiry, but somewhere along the way i'd definitely make it known what we do. It's not something i'd want to hide as an individual and i'd not like a client to feel that they needed to hide it from me. It'd be an honour to shoot another togs wedding, surely? Does it really send people running in the other direction?

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I can totally understand why you want the RAW's. I would want them if I was getting married. I've just taken a booking for 2015 from a couple who wanted RAW's. I was the only photographer who would agree to supply them!

Have you tried Zoe Barrie? She's in Scotland but I'm not quite sure where.

I'm in Yorkshire but have family in Aberdeen, so you're welcome to get in touch if you're interested in booking me. If your date matches with a time when we could book a family holiday to Aberdeen then I'd be happy to see if we can work something out.

• adgabe
    adgabe ·
    • Hide content

@ Pavone - Hello! Thank you for your thoughts and details of your own experience. Very interesting indeed! It is like going *under cover* ?

I really do not know why some photographers act in this way. Beats me. I would have no problem with photographing another photographers wedding. I'd be flattered! Go figure!

@Paula - I have sent you a private message. Thank you!

Andrea de Gabriel

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content

I don't understand why they wouldn't want to shoot another photographers wedding, I have done loads of times but I would never give them the RAW files or have I ever been asked for them, the only time I was asked for the RAW files was a few years ago by a bride but once I explained why she then was ok with it. The thing is its just one of those things that is drummed in to pro photographers and looked on as only start ups give the RAWS which as you know already.

I can pm you a guy who you will love if you want but I think he might be booked already as he shoots about 60 weddings a year.

• B
    • Hide content

Shouldn't this post be in the suppliers forum?

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

There was a thread on here a few weeks ago about raw files and there wasnt a single professional photographer who would give raw files I know some amateurs do because they dont always know how to properly edit or have the time or equipment.

For me it would be like if I was a painter -- drawing the outlines and then giving the paints for the bride and groom to do the rest.

I would fess up to any photographer if it were me. And If I were asked by a local photographer that I knew I think that I would give the raws and do it for free so long as I had no other booking, or it was a time of year that I most likely would not get one anyway, because if it were me looking I would want to do my own photoshop to my standard. But would not give to any other "normal" bride and groom because when I press the camera button that is only half the picture.

• Dewan Demmer Photography
    Dewan Demmer Photography ·
    • Hide content

I would probably let the photographer know that I am a photographer, admitted not right away probably on the second or third email, once the ball was rolling.
    I regards to RAW, I understand why you would want the RAW's, it really does depend on the photographer. I know for myself that I have no problem handing over RAW's in the right circumstances.

I am admittedly down London ways, however if Paula is booked for your date I would be more than happy to have a chat and see what we can do.

• adgabe
    adgabe ·
    • Hide content

Guys, can I just clarify that at no point I have asked anyone for the RAW files.... MOH said I could/should but I knew this would not be possible, hence why I need to fnd someone whose work I like so I do not feel I'd want or need to do this, however much I may feel I'd want to put my own stamp on it.

@ Bruce - Thank you Bruce,,, Yes, please PM me ? Suppliers' Forum? ? I was not aware of one but as I am a bride, having a particular kind of issue, I would probably have posted here in any case. ?

@ Bill - Your last paragraph highlights perfectly why I feel so thorn... Some pros may do this if they know what I do, but I still feel awkward asking. I'd certainly would not expect anyone to work for free though! ?

Thank you both again!

Andrea de Gabriel

• adgabe
    adgabe ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Dewan,

Thank you for your toughts. Given the replies so far, I am starting to wonder if the photographer I choose would actually agree on the RAWs if they knew what I do. Hmmmm..

If you would seriously consider a job in the dizzy heights of the Scottish Highlands for the Easter Bank Holiday next year, feel free to send me your prices ?

Andrea de Gabriel

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I can understand why some photographers don't want anyone to see the RAWs, but it's not an issue for me. You're a photographer and you know what you want to do with them if you decide to edit a few yourself.

I don't see any difference between giving you RAWs and shooting a wedding for another photographer in any other sense. For example, last summer I stood in as primary for another photographer who was ill. I sent her the RAW files to process for the client - of course! No big deal!

• B
    • Hide content

Not seeing the RAWs isn't the point, the point is a client books you because they like your photos, i.e. processing, finished product. I have second shot & been called on to be the main photographer to fill in for others for quite a few photographers and obviously they want the RAWs because its there wedding and they want to process them in there style to match what they show on there website which I never have a problem with. To be honest I would hate to process my own wedding images.

I remember a few years ago a photographer had another photographer shoot her wedding and gave her all the images un-processed, it took her over a year to get round to process them, then what did she do with them but put the disc in a drawer never to be seen again.

I would like to ask those that are already married and had the dvd option what have you done with them, are they still left in the drawer, have you had a album made?.

I really don't want this thread to be just a photographers thread and that's why I said about this should be in the suppliers forum not here where I can just see this thread coming back up for weeks,months and years because every time a new photographer joins Hitched this thread will be up again.

Remember its a forum for brides.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I agree Bruce. But just to clarify, when I supply RAW's for a wedding client (as opposed to sub-contracted work for a photographer) they usually get the RAW's as well as the finished jpegs. So, in the most recent contract, there is a clause that the groom may process but that he can't post his versions online, he can only post my versions. They will supply me with a new USB hard drive and I will load the RAWs, dngs and finished jpegs onto it.

• adgabe
    adgabe ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Bruce, with much respect... I am a bride who happens to be photographer and have a photography related question, therefore I feel I have done nothing wrong posting this here and unless Hitched moves it, I have no intention of posting this elsewhere.

I'd be more than happy to have all other brides who are not photographers share in this post and other suppliers who have views in this.

Andrea de Gabriel

• adgabe
    adgabe ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Paula, did you get my message?

Andrea de Gabriel

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

@Andrea, no I haven't got it! I saw your post saying you had written but I can't find the note at all. I even messaged you to tell you that. I wonder if the message system here is not working?

Please try via my website or FB page below.

• adgabe
    adgabe ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Done via your website!

Andrea de Gabriel

• .A.S.
    Beginner July 2014
    .A.S. ·
    • Hide content

For what it's worth, I find this post really interesting, although I have nothing conducive to add. Meaning that for me it's in the right forum.

Judging to by the replies so far there is no wrong answer... It seems to boil down to whether you want to be 100% bride for the day or retain en element of your work head. If your choice is the former I don't think it's hugely important for the Tog to be aware. You will know what's right when you meet the right tog - someone creative you don't want to stifle... or someone immensely practical and able who you can work with and tweak???

For me, relinquishing control of anything is difficult. Whilst I don't know much about photography I know enough about myself to know I would want RAW files and processed so I could respect another's work if I were in a position to, but add my own stamp to pictures that really took my fancy. That is of course an uneducated opinion from someone who has yet to master a selfie.

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I too have found this post ininteresting, well once I worked out what RAW files were! Ignorance is bliss for me-i wouldn't want to feel like my wedding photo's were fake. But overall I agree with the above.

• Studying&Planning
    Beginner April 2014
    Studying&Planning ·
    • Hide content

To answer the question about photo's on DVD, we have 1164 amazing images on two DVD's. We're meant to be picking just 70 for our album, I have NO idea where to start... So it's sat in a drawer! (but it has only been & days since we got the disks)

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

Hey Andrea,

We were in a similar spot.

I'm quite well known in my area, and when we approached photographers to shoot our wedding they became unavailable when we disclosed who we were. One person 'remembered' it was their anniversary then and emailed to say they couldn't do it. Waving 2k about for the day didn't matter. Which was suspicious.

Anyhoo, when we did finally book someone it wasn't until we'd confirmed their availability that I phoned them specifically to book. Only at that time did I disclose who I was and I could tell by their tone they were cool.

On the subject of Raw files I did find a photographer or two who were both very good and who would supply them. It wasn't to second guess or reproduce their work but it's because I have every. single. raw file from every wedding I've ever shot. It felt alien to not have mine considering how heavy into the wedding scene I am.

However in the end those that we went with don't supply them and that's fine. I want their ability and vision. That's why we booked them.

I have given other photographers Raw files before but only those who I was close to and who were professionals. Not '£500 spot colour Tom with a facebook page'.

I still processed the files as normal though as it's my art.

People will travel to cover a good wedding. Crikey, I'd do it if you get the flights.

Any good supplier should respond regardless. It's bad form not to and is a signal of a wider issue with them.

Further, a really good, confident photographer should not be fearful of shooting another togs wedding.

• adgabe
    adgabe ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Amy,

I think you have added plenty and pretty much nailed it! I had, initially, seriously considered doing as much as possible of the photography myself! After a few seconds of serious thought, realising this would not be either practical nor possible.

I want to be a bride on my big day, whether or not I find it almost impossible to relinquish control of the photography to another professional!

Regarding the RAW files you, once again, got it spot on! Though on this issue I will speak to the photographer and fully respect their stance.

For an *uneducated opinion* yours seem to be incredibly accurate! ?

Thank you!

Andrea de Gabriel

• D
    Beginner August 2014
    Deb11 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

This in no way answers your question but did read the post and a Scottish photographer sprang to mind. No idea if his style is what you're after but might be worth a look? He is a very open, easy to talk to guy who I'm sure wouldn't run for the hills (or highlands!) if you told him what you did!

http://www.derekprescott.co.uk/wedding-photographer.php

• adgabe
    adgabe ·
    • Hide content

Oooooohhh... Now you are simply adding to my current and very difficult choices!

It would appear as though I am better off just coming out of the Photographer closet! ?

Thanks again Chris.

Andrea de Gabriel

• adgabe
    adgabe ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Deb! Made me laugh!

I will certainly check his work!

Much appreciated

Andrea de Gabriel

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Andrea it baffles me why a Photographer wouldn't want to shoot another Photographers wedding. Not nice you've had to experience this when looking for yours.

As said time and time again on here, you are not restricted to the area you are getting married for your Photographer. I travel as do most.

Hope your search gets easier from here.

• adgabe
    adgabe ·
    • Hide content

Hi DaffodilWaves!

It baffles me too! If I was being simplistic I'd put it down to insecurity or maybe the misguided notion that we would be harder to please. I refer back to the reply from Pavonne who did not disclose what she did for a living and caught the photographer on a few lies. I am not really sure what the problem is but, personally, I'd be delighted to photograph another photographer's wedding!

And isn't it weird that professionally I am more than happy to travel (Ireland next year!) for a wedding but wih my *Bride Brain* on, this fact completely bypassed me!

There are lots of HIBs here whom I'd be so happy to have photograph my wedding. You are one of them ? And the replies have been mostly so positive that I am overwhelmed.

You and all others, photographers and non-photographers, have been a GREAT help!

Andrea de Gabriel

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

If you cant photograph another photographers wedding it shows a lack of confidence in your own work......

Well, that's my opinion......I could be wrong......

I have supplied Raws twice since going digital.

Peter

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've seen so many arguments or other topics with TOGS on here that they don't seem to remember it's a wedding forum then haha Smiley winking

Plenty of brides post questions for the TOGS to answer Andrea and as you're a bride to be there's no difference...post wherever you like Smiley smile Also

Wish I could help you out but no knowledge whatsoever. Hopefully you'll find someone great to cover your big day though and as others have said on here lots are willing to travel! Sure you'll have a great day I can vouch for the Scottish scenery haha Smiley smile

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You may be a "tad" biased....

?

Peter

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Just a wee touch! Can't vouch for the weather mind you ?

• adgabe
    adgabe ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am more than a little inclined to agree with you Peter!

Andrea de Gabriel

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

? it's what weddings do to the brain!

Bless you Andrea, thank you. Post more about your plans! Would love to hear about them.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics