Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

adgabe

Fellow photographers... HEEEELLLP! What to do about my own photographer?

adgabe, 10 of May of 2014 at 17:11

Posted on Planning 36

Okay, so maybe some of you photographers in this here place had the same dilemma if you were already a professional photographer when you got married.. The *Do I tell?* problem: We are gettimg married in the dizzy heights of the Scottish Highlands, so a little limited in the regional and,...

Okay, so maybe some of you photographers in this here place had the same dilemma if you were already a professional photographer when you got married..

The *Do I tell?* problem:

We are gettimg married in the dizzy heights of the Scottish Highlands, so a little limited in the regional and, particularly, local choice of photographers. I have looked at websites and the best I could say about some of the work was that it as technically competent, which is a start... But nothing which inspired me as a bride, never mind as a photographer.

Okay. Not the end of the world... Technically competent and truly professional is better than nothing, especially nowadays in our industry. I am sure you get my jist.

My worry is this: Ideally I would like to book someone whose work I can say I admire. I approached a photographer I have known for a whole, in Scotland, by emailing him and asking him if he was available. NO REPLY! What? Really?

I then approached another photographer I know, a bit further south. I called this time. Asked for availabliy and a quote. *I'll get back to you*. Nope. Nothing.

So, sick of it all, I emailed a local photographer to the ceremony, whose work I find a bit *conservative* but whom is clearly competent. I did not tell him who I am. He is availble and sendng a quote.

MOH reckons I should tell him who I am and what I do, and ask for a quote for the RAW files.

I disagree.

If anyone contacted me asking for this, I would decline them and I am sure you understand why.

When I approached my photography friends I did not ask for the RAW files, just shoot and burn, which they offer all their clients as I want to do my wn album with Graphi, so this cannot be the reason they let me down, and I can only assume they are put off by photographing another photographer's wedding.

Now I am in a dilema. Do I tell my photographer who I am and what I do and try to *negotiate* the RAW files (Even typing this is grinding on me!) or just keep quiet? Did you encounter this dilema with your own wedding? How would you feel if I was booking you and did not tell you what I do?

**PS: Any ther suppliers are welcome to contribute!

Thank you!

Andrea de Gabriel

36 replies

• adgabe
    adgabe ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

MM3,

I love you. FACT!

PS: Having visited Scotland many times, I am already sold! Would move there tomorrow if it was possible.

Andrea de Gabriel

❤️

• adgabe
    adgabe ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

From this side of the fence, it would appear to be the case! I deal with the pressure so well from behind my camera! ?

And no worries! I will put updates here as all unfolds!

Andrea de Gabriel

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

One of the things we quickly realised was that despite the wealth of experience we have it doesn't help with the planning.

• adgabe
    adgabe ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not a jot, Chris! But I am determined to make this a very *me* day, which probably means not including anything I do not consider absolutely vital! I am never been one for convention... (in other words, I will forget some important! ?)

Andrea de Gabriel

• One Little Daisy
    One Little Daisy ·
    • Hide content

I once had a bride contact me who's OH was a photographer. Nobody I had ever heard of before.

The message was along the lines of:

"I'm getting married my OH is XXXXX from XXXXX photography. How much would you charge to shoot the wedding and give us all the raws only"

I replied that it wouldn't be something I'd consider doing. But I'd be happy to photograph their wedding and provide them with the finished edited images.

She then replied with something along the lines of:

"I don't think you understand. My OH is XXXXX from XXXXX photography"

My second reply went along the lines of me not caring if her OH was David Bailey, I'm not interested in that kind of setup for a random stranger.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics