Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner November 2015

Female usher issues

Excitedbridetobe87, 21 of July of 2015 at 19:18 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi everyone Smiley smile

I have got 1 maid of honour for my wedding,1 bridesmaid and 1 female usher.I am paying for all of he MOH,bridesmaids outfits,jewellery,shoes,hair and makeup,which I personally feel is the right thing to do.

I am however in a bit of a dilemma about my female usher.I do not feel We should pay for/ provide all the above as she is an usher not a bridesmaid,however she still has a special role in our day so would like this to be recognised.Was thinking of paying for her outfit and shoes (we will be paying for the male ushers) but letting her choose this herself,or else she pay for her outfit and I treat her to hair and makeup.

know it is less usual to have female ushers,but any experience or advice would be much appreciated! Many thanks in advance

Alice xx

5 replies

Latest activity by Excitedbridetobe87, 21 of July of 2015 at 23:01
  • M
    Beginner May 2016
    mkw ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure if I've got this right, but are you paying for outfits for your bridesmaids and your male ushers? If so, why would you not be paying for your female usher as well? I may have misread your post though!

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

I think it would be fair to pay for her outfit and shoes, but the hair and make-up is more difficult. Unless you want her to have a specific style then I think I'd suggest that she sort her own out.

Is she wearing a bm dress or something completely different? If bm dress then I'd be inclined to give her jewellery to match the bms - you would presumably give that as a gift on the day, so would be entirely appropriate to give to the usher as a gift too.

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

We had a female usher and we paid for everything. we spent more on her than on the male ushers but it didn't feel wrong- it felt totally right.

i think you need to spend at least what you are on the male ushers, ergo if her dress is less than suit hire, the rest of the money to make up the difference goes towards hair etc

• soraneko
    Beginner June 2016
    soraneko ·
    • Hide content

I agree with miss winter - definitely work it out to match what you're doing for the ushers - not the BMs

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I got married in Sydney, so maybe the role of an usher is different there, but we had 1 male and 1 female. They handed out order of the day, helped seat guests, gave out blowing bubbles & collected the pew ends.

I provided a buttonehole/corsage for them, but never considered providing their outfit, hair, shoes etc. Maybe they play a larger role in the UK? I'd suggest if you are providing for the male usher, it should be the same for the female one, but not hair/make-up.

• E
    Beginner November 2015
    Excitedbridetobe87 ·
    • Hide content

Thankyou all for your helpful responses! We are paying for the make ushers suit,but obviously he wouldn't need hair and make up paid for,hence why I was going to either pay for that or pay for the outfit.I think I agree that it would be fairest if we just paid for both outfits for both ushers,male and female,and I ask her to sort her own hair and makeup.I have ideas for the bridesmaids (although I am still keen for them to have input in these) but I am happy for our female usher to style herself how she wants

i think the idea about giving her some jewellery too as a present on the morning of the wedding is a great one- will definitely do that

thanks again for all your suggestions!

Alice x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics