Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

RockabillyBaker
Curious August 2014

Festival themed wedding

RockabillyBaker, 30 April, 2013 at 21:21 Posted on Planning 0 18

Hi,

My fiance and I have decided to do our wedding with a festival theme so invitations like festival posters, order of service with ribbon lanyards and name each table after a music festival - head table Glastonbury.

I would love to have the reception in tipis but that looks quite expensive, does anyone have any other ideas to get the festival theme across?

18 replies

Latest activity by princess_tink, 6 May, 2013 at 14:31
  • skinnyboyweddings
    skinnyboyweddings ·
    • Hide content

That all sounds fab and I do love tipis!

Hmmm, Hay bales, Wheelbarrows for races, Vintage suitcase for guests cards? Wellies!

www.pollys-parlour.co.uk is a gorgeous VW ice-cream van, but I'm not sure where they're based. A friend of mine is getting the local ice-cream van to come to her wedding.

Have a little look at www.fabulouswedfest.co.uk you've just missed this years event, but it might be worth a visit for ideas.

Hope that helps a little.

Kate

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Sounds amazing. Pavone on here is doing a tipi event so will hopefully be able to explain about costs for you.

One of my couples had their table centre numbers on LP's and also their main table plan. This could fit into the music side of things.

• Fran @ Hitched
    Beginner April 2012
    Fran @ Hitched ·
    • Hide content

Festival themes are huge this year.

I wrote this blog post in February, based on a real wedding featured on hitched if it's any help...

https://www.hitched.co.uk/chat/blogs/planwithfran/page/20130220/festival-wedding-inspiration.aspx

Fran

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Hurrah, this thread has reminded me that I'm off to Benicassim in a couple of months!

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

We're doing a Festival x game of thrones theme for ours.

We're also having tipis, but as you say they're not the cheapest of things. If you'd like specifics, hire prices etc let me know and i'd be happy to share, just don't want to bore you if you've already ruled them out?

Other things along the festival line, which we're having are: live bands, gourmet burger vans & other festival style food for your meal, Plastic pint glasses in a seperate beer tent, lots of ourdoorsy touches & hay bales. We're also doing the lanyard thing- but for the invites. It'll have a map/location, order of service, photo pass "ticket" and a couple of other bits i've forgotten.

Edit: Ahhhh just seen you're also in Essex! YAY!

• RockabillyBaker
    Curious August 2014
    RockabillyBaker ·
    • Hide content

Just re read you post and saw Game of Thrones. That's amazing, what are you doing for GoT?

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

Here is a wedding I photographed that had tipis with benches and faux fur throws.
    Part of the sides open where the big skirt part is in the middle, held up with wooden posts, but it was too windy on that day

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Ahh yes one of my couples this year is doing the festival thang, I love it, it merges two of my fav types of photography lol To get the theme minus tipis, you can do stuff food trucks, hay bales, wellies, plastic cups and a live band of course!

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Psscht, posted that befre reading that Pavone wrote exactly the same thing already :p Also Pavone, GoT- LOVE IT, what elements from GoT are you having? Possibly a tourney? Will lots of people die at your wedding? Will the best man lose a hand?

Smiley winking

• Hide content
    View quoted message

I am intrigued to know how you pay for the burger vans and other food vans. Do you work out 100 heads = £5 per burger = £500 to pay the van up front. Or do you do a deal with the van whereby your guests are issued a voucher - 1 per person and the van after that can charge extra to each guest if they want extra nosh. AND if a van goes to a festival it costs them an arm and a leg for the pitch which is added to the cost of each burger, so when they come to your wedding they do not have that pitch cost - so can they then discount the burgers.
  • M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It has worked out differently for each supplier:

Our ice cream van costs £140+vat for an hour but includes £140 worth of ice cream.

The chip van wouldn't come unless we could guarantee a certain amount would be bought (ie paid for by us) so we've estimated at £400 (100 people at £4.10 each) presuming that some will want peas etc but some will only want chips so it will even out. Any extra we'll pay for retrospectively.

The venue caterer is doing a barbecue (fixed price per head) but we're eschewing the included crockery/silverware/linens and going for cardboard trays and wooden cutlery, so he's given us a discount (yay!).

I wouldn't want my guests to have to pay for extras, so am thinking of the different vendors as a buffet: people can have as much or as little of each thing that they want..

• Hide content

"Any extra we'll pay for retrospectively."

So you have to trust the vendor to be truthfull about the extras and give you a bill at the end. Would they want this paying before they left.

Do you have any contracts with them because I would worry that they are not going to turn up

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Fortunately I know them quite well personally so I have no concerns chipwise! We are quite rural so they usually go from village to village during the week and take Saturdays off. £400 is a really good take for them, and they are staying for the dancing afterwards :-)

Ice cream company and caterers are contracted.

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

For us, we paid for 100 servings of "burger and chips". A deposit upfront and the rest on the day. The fee covers any "burger" and a serving of chips from the menu we've chosen, which contains most things from bacon rolls, through to chili dogs and Jack daniels burgers.

Personally, we've chosen to over-cater. We've ordered and paid a deposit for an additional 25% in case anyone wants seconds. If we go above and beyond that, we'll then pay on top. We've chosen a huge UK wide caterer for ours as opposed to just a random festival burger van, so don't have any concerns about them not turning up, ripping us off etc. It's all done with contracts and so on.

Is there any reason you'd be more worried about them not turning up than say, a rogue photographer, or any other kind of vendor Bill?

• Hide content

You are probably using a "high class" burger and not a van as such. Its just --- you know in pirates of the Caribbean where jack is fighting and he cheats-doesn't fight fair and orlando bloom complains and jack says "pirate !", well when the burger man doesn't turn up ----"burger van! ".
    A photographer has a reputation to maintain throughout the wedding industry, a burger van hasn't - they can go off and sell burgers anywhere, and if they book a wedding knowing they will get £400 and then legalise that on that day there is a clash with er... I duno Man U opentop buss parade or somthing where they can earn double that, they wont want to do the wedding any longer, --- why haven't they turned up---- er "burger van!" (Jack sparrow thing again) That is my worry
  • Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Sorry RB and Marianne, I've only just seen your comments.

It will just be GoT inspired decor really. Although any less than 3 deaths and i'll be gutted, can't have anyone thinking it was a boring affair ?

Let me know if there was anything you wanted to know about the tipis Rockabilly Bakery and i'll do my best to help.

• P
    Beginner October 2023
    princess_tink ·
    • Hide content

We're having a festival theme wedding too. We've got gig ticket style invites, line up poster style table plan, order of service lanyards, table names have been printed onto vinyl records and all named after our favorite fests, the card postbox is an old guitar case,centerpieces are fish bowls with a festival scene in, our favours are 'festival survival kits' with things like glowsticks, wet wipes, mints, wristbands with the wedding date on, skittles vodka, a beer token for the bar. We've got an acoustic duo to play during the wedding breakfast too that are doing acoustic versions of popular festival bands.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics