Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Z
Beginner August 2024 West Sussex

Fiancé divorced - church wedding

Zoë, 31 of August of 2022 at 13:57 Posted on Planning 0 6
Hi All,

My fiancé is divorced and whilst that doesn’t bother me I am worried it will have an impact on our chances of getting married in a church. I’ve always dreamt of getting married where my parents did. We’re not avid church goers but I find much comfort in faith.
Has anyone married in a church after divorce?
TIA
Zoë

6 replies

Latest activity by Ostira, 6 of September of 2022 at 11:20
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    Not done it personally but know people that have. Depends on your denomination as some are stricter than others. If I were you I would go to the church and ask the question, is the only way you will know
  • Z
    Beginner August 2024 West Sussex
    Zoë ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you Charlotte. It’s positive to hear that people have done it and it’s not a definite no. The church is Episcopalian. Yes we are going to have the chat with the vicar just wanted to get a feel of other experiences too.

Thank you for always being so helpful xx
  • Emily
    Dedicated February 2023 Hertfordshire
    Emily ·
    • Hide content
    We are getringnmarroed in Church amd my H2B is divorced. My dad got remarried in Church and that was over 20 years ago. Most Vicars are OK with it now. You may have more difficulty in the Catholic Church, but I understand it to be up to each Diocese.
    Hope it works out for you x
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

It totally depends on the denomination and, in some denominations, on the individual church/minister. It can also depend on the circumstances of the divorce (e.g. I know some churches will marry a divorcee who was cheated on/left by their partner, but won't marry a divorcee who broke up their previous marriage).

The best thing to do is to talk to the minister of the church where you would like to get married. An alternative if they are not able to marry you (some ministers won't be allowed to by the rules of their denomination, even if they wanted to) would be to have a civil ceremony, followed by a church blessing.

• K
    Dedicated June 2023 Essex
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content

My aunt and uncle got married in a Catholic Church and they were both divorced. This was also 20 years ago when rules on marrying in a church were alot stricter. You just need to speak to your vicar, I dont think it will be a problem, you will likely just have a few more things you need to do for them to agree to marry you.

• Ostira
    Dedicated October 2023 Durham
    Ostira ·
    • Hide content
    As others have said, I think it does depend on denomination (ie. Catholic Church probably wouldn’t allow it but might depend) I think it usually depends on the church and person conducting the wedding. I’d get in touch with your local church and ask as I do know divorced couples who’ve remarried in church x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics