Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner April 2016

Fiancée hates my dress; don't know what to do?!!!

SapphireGirl, 12 of January of 2016 at 20:10 Posted on Planning 0 12

I bought my wedding dress 6 months ago, and I'm getting married in mid-April. And now I'm seriously panicking. I adore my dress, and I thought I looked wonderful in it. Up until last night, I couldn't imagine wearing anything else. And then last night, my fiancée and I were watching "Say Yes to the Dress". One of the women tried on my dress - and my fiancée's reaction was to laugh. She then told me it was the most ridiculous dress she'd even seen. She hates it.

I don't know what to do; she obviously thinks it hideous, and I want her to think I'm at my most beautiful on our wedding day. I could return to dress and try to get a new one, but I only have a few months, and I don't think I'd get my money back on my dress, since I've already had alterations, and I couldn't buy another one without her noticing the extra money.

12 replies

Latest activity by LuxuriousGoldDiamonds273, 15 of January of 2016 at 16:07
  • Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

Oh gosh, what a pickle!

That is like my worst nightmare!

However, I did show my fiancé my dress on the model (before I tried it on) and he said that it's hard to tell what it's like when looking at it on other people.

I've seen a few real brides in my dress, and they all look totally different. I bet yours looks better on you than it did on the TV girl.

What is your dress, if you don't mind me asking? Smiley smile

• F
    Beginner August 2016
    FutureMrsMarshall ·
    • Hide content

Oh no! ☹️ Yes I think it would be helpful if you gave us some information about the dress or even a picture. Was there a particular feature of it she thought was ridiculous?

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content

She might feel differently when it's you in the dress, after all she is marrying you! I think that the only way to be certain is for your fiancée to see a picture of you in the dress but then you spoil the surprise. Alternatively you could say that your dress was on SYTTD and you are worried about her reaction. She might just say it just didn't flatter that particular woman, and it doesn't mean that it won't suit you.

I'm sure that she will love the dress because you feel so confident and gorgeous in it, which makes the whole outfit look better anyway.

Good luck, try not to worry too much! I'm pretty sure my OH won't even pay that much attention to mine, he's not very fashion forward, lol!

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

Oh gosh what a horrible situation. Dresses do look 100% different on different people so what she may have thought on the telly will not be what she thinks of you in it. Do you have a photo you can flash? Or the designer and model number?

• P
    Beginner April 2016
    Pooba ·
    • Hide content

Echoing other people here, but another message saying that the dress will look very different on you.

She probably won't even remember what it looked like.

If you can, go try the dress on again. Erase your memory and fall back in love with it all over again Smiley smile

• hollyhollytree
    Beginner September 2016
    hollyhollytree ·
    • Hide content

Oh you poor thing! I'm sure that it was just an offhand comment and that she will love you in the dress. I watched every episode of say yes to the dress and didn't like a single dress I saw on there. I really think that they look different on TV and on different people.

Is it a very quirky dress? You obviously know her taste. Think of yourself in the dress, when you first put it on.. did you think "my fiance will love me in this dress?" If so, don't worry. Don't doubt yourself. You know her well, probably better than she knows herself. I'm sure she will love the dress with you in it.

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

Oooh, or an interesting twist - maybe she's gone for the same dress (without knowing you've chosen it) and was trying to put you off the scent...?

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

Please remember she's marrying you not your dress of the lady on TV once she sees you in it she will look probably love it, as it's on your curves and on your body

• M
    Beginner May 2017
    MrsW2017 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with everyone else, dresses look completely different on different people. If you love it stick with it, I'm sure you've made the right choice and she probably won't recognise it on you x

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

Wear it anyway, you adore it and that is all that matters!

• L
    Beginner March 2016
    LuxuriousGoldDiamonds273 ·
    • Hide content

Oh gosh i'm sorry that would really panic me too. My fiancé kept commenting on dresses on SYTTD and I told him he needed to stop in case he did criticise one like mine.

I am so sure it will be completely different on you, with you loving it and feeling happy that it will be totally different. Does she have very different taste to you? Maybe she was commenting thinking about what she would wear herself.

Do you watch quite a few episodes of the show together? If so maybe wait a week or so and tell her that you're worried as she seemed to not like your dress when it was on the show. That way she won't know which dress it actually was but will be able to put your mind at rest that she will love they way you look no matter what as long as you like it.

• L
    Beginner March 2016
    LuxuriousGoldDiamonds273 ·
    • Hide content

In fact I've been pondering on this and I think if it was me i'd just have to be totally open about it with my fiancé and tell them that that dress they hated is the one you have and now you're mega stressed. I think the idea of the big reveal of the dress will be totally overshadowed if you convince yourself she won't like it and this will cast a big stress over your wedding plans so you may need to just tell her and then you can come to a decision together. If you decide to keep the dress then she still won't know what you will look like in it and part of the magic is the nice hair, jewellery and makeup you have too.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics