Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Curious July 2025 Greater Manchester

Fiance won’t like my dress

Lucy, 4 of August of 2024 at 20:09 Posted on Wedding Attire 0 10
I went dress shopping on Saturday and found a dress. I have paid the deposit which was close to £1000. And left feeling really happy with my decision. After a couple of hours I started to think I’d made the wrong decision and then today I told my boyfriend and he said that he would be happy to have a look and see if he can help me. I said I didn’t want him to see the dress so he said to zoom into the parts I’m unsure of and do that with a few dresses I tried on and he’ll say if he likes them or not without knowing the actual dress and only having seen a little part of it.

So we did this and he said the one I have bought is ‘alright’ and he said he prefers plain more simple dresses. He would prefer just a plain satin dress and I thought I’d want that too originally and this is what threw me off.
I hate sequins and shiny bits and mesh and my dress has all of that at the top and he hates it too. I really loved my dress when I tried it on but now I’m having regrets and now I’m really nervous my boyfriend won’t like it.
I have also asked the bridal shop already if there’s any chance to cancel or put the dress on hold and they have said they’ve already ordered it and it is a non refundable deposit. So really unsure what to do
Any advice or anything would be appreciated. Feeling very stressed and stupid for rushing into it!

10 replies

Latest activity by Davis, 17 of August of 2024 at 04:28
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry - I didn't realise your deposit was £1,000 - that's a lot of money to lose! How much is the total dress cost?

You've got two options - either stick with your dress and focus on the bits you like about it (I think you mentioned in a previous post that you were going to ask a seamstress about possible changes to make it more 'you'), or accept the loss of the deposit and buy elsewhere.

• L
    Lucy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The dress is £1800. Im going again on Saturday to try on again and I’m hoping she will let me switch to a different dress with the same designer from her shop as I told her the next day I was unsure. I wish I’d just chosen a plain dress as that is more me and I feel like I’m going to be uncomfortable in the one I’ve chosen! Will have to wait to see what happens x
  • R
    • Hide content

Here's what I would do.

1) See if you can get a rough idea of how much alteration can be done to your current dress and what the approximate cost will be - if you contact a local dress alteration person and explain your dilemma, they might be able to give a rough idea based on photos - e.g. yes, we can alter the neckline and remove the sequins but it will cost XXX or no, it's not really feasible to alter the neckline on that style of dress. Do this before Saturday if you can, because having a rough idea of possibilities and costs involved will help inform your decision making when you try the dress on again.

2) Check out the other dresses by that designer online. Do you like any of them? If you can find out costs - how do they compare with the price of your current dress? If the only ones you like are £1,000 over your budget, then you might as well lose your deposit and shop somewhere else for a new dress!

3) Have a look for dresses in the plainer style that you like - especially lower cost ones. For example, if your current dress is £1,800 and it's going to cost £500 to alter it to make you feel happy, you could buy a dress that needs no alteration for £1,300 elsewhere, lose your deposit and still not be any worse off!

4) Having done this, you will be going into your appointment on Saturday with a much better idea of your options. I'd definitely advise going on your own. Think about how you feel in the dress without family and friends 'ah-ing' or getting teary? Do you feel that making alterations will make you feel ok about it? Will you be better off financially sticking with this dress plus alterations costs or going for one that needs less alteration?

You might find it helpful to write down your options beforehand and list any questions or things to consider under each one. Especially make a note of the maximum costs involved. E.g. "If altering my existing dress costs more than £XXX, then I am better off buying elsewhere." "If buying a new dress from the same designer costs more than £XXXX, then I am better off buying elsewhere. If you go in with a load of information and a written 'action plan', I think it will help you stay calm and think through your options and come to the right decision. Don't let yourself get pressured by the sales person. If she pushes you for a decision, just say that you want to make 100% sure before changing your mind again, so you'll go home, think about it and let her know by x time. That also gives you an 'out' if you don't want to go ahead, but don't like to say so!

• L
    Lucy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for the really good advice. I’ve spoke to a dress maker who said she thinks it can be altered but it may need body tape to work so I’m not sure about that. I have seen another dress from the same store, same designer which I might like so I’m hoping she’ll let me switch it to that one as I have acted pretty quickly. If not I’ll have to have a rethink.
    I don’t really want to lose the deposit so hopefully I can switch dress! Will see how it goes when I go to retry x
  • R
    • Hide content

Hope your appointment today goes well and you're able to find a solution that works for you x

• L
    Lucy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you 🤍 I found another dress I like at the same store and think I’m going to switch to that! Feeling a lot more relieved now
  • R
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's great news - I'm so pleased for you.

• L
    Lucy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you. I do think the new dress might be quite warm for a summer wedding but at least I will feel more me haha will just get some handheld fans 😂
  • R
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You never know - I had a long-sleeved dress in July because it was the only one I could get hold of in time, and it was cold and rainy on our wedding day, so I was quite glad for the warmth!

• L
    Lucy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Aw I keep thinking everything happens for a reason so hopefully it’ll all turn out perfect!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics