Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner July 2014

Filming church wedding

Smurf84, 8 of May of 2014 at 18:52 Posted on Planning 0 15

My fiancé and I booked the church for our wedding last year then we're told during a meeting in January that the service was not allowed to be photographed or filmed. I understand about not being photographed but never heard of not being able to have it filmed, especially when I have been to other weddings and seen they have been filmed. The church state it is down to copy writing laws but when speaking to our videographer he said he hadn't had any problems with this before. They also stated that the fee would be pretty much doubled for the organist to be filmed. Has anybody else come across this before and if so did they find a way around it? Thanks

15 replies

Latest activity by Peter, 9 of May of 2014 at 19:00
  • Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

This sounds like a musicians union issue. It comes around quite often with video. Its recording the organists music that is the copyright infringement. Usually though, you can pay for this. What sort of price are you being quoted?

Peter

• SunnyOrangeFlowers21
    Beginner August 2014
    SunnyOrangeFlowers21 ·
    • Hide content

Our minister is of the opinion (and I agree) that is a sacred ceremony and it shouldn't be photocopied or filmed.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Where is your church? Is it a crown property? For the stills, it is usually only down to the ministers personal obsession if stills are allowed or not. If its not a crown property, there are no copyright issues with stills.

Peter

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Your typo above was a little amusing!!!!?

Peter

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

Yes I am seeing this more and more often but most of the local ones know me and are ok with me because they know how I work.

The problem is (and a few have told me this ) is that they are seeing so many people shooting weddings that do not respect the nature of where they are and are now just saying to the bride and grooms no photography.

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content

I am at Arundel cathedral this year and was told some time ago that they charge over £1000 to let the videographer film in there, not sure if its true. Something about because they were on some Sunday tv program.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

The minister is having you on! Photo & film is allowed under C of E rules - I actually checked this with the diocese once!

The problem is that individual vicars are allowed to vary the rules as they wish. So he can ban them both if he wants. But he should be honest with you - this is his decision and nothing to do with the C of E rules.

As Bruce says, the rise of the "attack of the amateur photographer" is causing problems across the industry. Ministers can't tell who is a real photographer and who is fake so they are cracking down on them all.

If you have booked a professional photographer tell them what's going on and they will try to reach an agreement with the vicar.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The biggest issue is the recording of the organ sound. This is where the organist can decline or charge an extra fee above his normal playing costs. This applies to Cof E, Catholic and most other faiths.

Peter

• B
    • Hide content

It wasn't me that said "attack of the amateur photographer" even though it is true. I have lost count of the times I have turned up at a church only to be told no photography but I always manage to talk them round. The horror stories I hear from the church are unbelievable.

One photographer was within a foot of a vicar while he was marrying this couple, this photographer was all over the place, she even got up on a pulpit shooting down on the couple and all the while she was using her flash, no wonder they have had enough but any professional photographer can talk them round, it takes practice and knowing how to soften them up lol

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

Peter, the recording of the ceremony is covered by a copyright fee of approx £100. There's no additional problem relating to the organist, the copyright fee is for the ceremony itself. They have been charging that for many years, I paid it when a friend videoed my own wedding in 1990.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Not all organists are part of the Musicians Union....however....

This from the musicians Union website:

Musicians’ Fees for Weddings

There are a number of possible combinations of musicians to perform at your ceremony, the most common being listed here. Please note that for weddings on weekdays, there may some restrictions on the musical resources available.

All fees include an initial consultation if required. The pre-wedding rehearsal with the celebrating Priest does not usually involve the musicians. Payment is most easily made on the day in cash or cheque (check the payee though with the Director of Music). Pre-payment by bank transfer or cheque is also possible by arrangement.

If paying on the day, please arrange for the best man to pay the musicians before the ceremony – you will all be busy with photographs after it!

1. Organist only £130*
    2. Organist + one soloist £250*
    3. Organist + approved guest singer(s) £150*
    4. Organist + choir £480*
    5. Organist + choir with soloist £500*
    6. Organist + choir with choir director £630*
      (when accompanied choral music is required)

*If you intending to video or record the service, please read the following notes carefully: Any professional or amateur recording of music is subject to copyright law, and must be covered by a Limited Manufacture licence. Any accredited video company will have one of these, but it is possible also to obtain a one-off licence at reasonable cost (around £20 depending on the number of copies). Please see www.prsformusic.com for details and online application.

Even with the licence, the musicians (organist, singers etc) have the right to charge extra to have their performances recorded; we follow the guidelines issued by the Incorporated Society of Musicians, the Musicians Union and other professional organisations.

Video recording (including video devices on phones, iPads, cameras etc):
    An additional 100% of total fees (in effect, double the total amount) Audio recording only (including recording devices on phones, minidisc etc):
    An additional 50% of total fees

The person making the recording is responsible for obtaining the appropriate licence to record copyright material. But because the performers themselves are liable to prosecution for performing copyright material which is being recorded without a licence, we must reserve the right to refuse to play or sing without prior arrangement and agreement to pay the extra fees. So if you wish to have the organist only, the standard fee is £130. With a video agreement, this becomes £260.
    It does seem a lot, but don’t forget that our musicians have trained and practised for many years to obtain their standard of musicianship, usually at great cost too. We always ask you to compare the fees to what you are asked to pay for the other services you are receiving on the day of your wedding!

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

^^ Peter's post above is pretty much spot on - I've never sung at a wedding with video where the music costs weren't doubled, it's standard practice I'm afraid.

OH, who is a former (and still occasional jobbing) organist, says that this is because the work they do is likely to be heard more times and by more people - it's a bit like an opera singer charging more to do Glyndebourne than sing in a local opera. *I* think it's because they're all paranoid they'll make a mistake which could be played back to them and therefore put in extra hours of practice for you! ?

Don't forget that for most church organists services are their sole source of income, and they're not exactly paid mega bucks unless it's a cathedral (and sometimes not even then).

• B
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Always best to get it from the horses mouth as they say?

• SunnyOrangeFlowers21
    Beginner August 2014
    SunnyOrangeFlowers21 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Proof I shouldn't post late at night...although that does lead me to another question. Where can I get hymn scores for my clarsach player for free?

• MrsBoo
    Beginner November 2014
    MrsBoo ·
    • Hide content

Our church allows us to film and this year the fees for organist and soloist/quartet are doubled if we have it filmed.

I'm still on the fence as to have a VOG or not...with the extra church fees now too I think it will be out of our budget.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would ask the question about cost. not all charge extra for video....Don't be put off without checking.....

Peter

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics