Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

rockclimbingtigger
Beginner October 2009

Final Dress Fitting - 6-8 weeks before wedding?

rockclimbingtigger, 19 June, 2009 at 11:45 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hi all ?

Well I got the call yesterday to say my wedding dress has arrived! Woop! ?

The shop phoned my mum to let her know and said I'd need to schedule my final dress fitting 6/8 weeks before my wedding day! Mum and I thought this really odd, so I rang them and they said that yes this was usual. To be fair when I said I'd rather leave it until closer to my wedding day should I actually lose some weight on bloody weightwatchers, they did say this was fine, but am I alone in finding this odd?

Has anyone else been told to be measured that far in advance?

In the end we agreed that I would go in shortly, to just try it on, and see how it was height wise etc, and that we would leave the formal fitting until nearer the time which I am happy with. Woop.

Below is my dress, as you can see there's not a lot of room to make a mistake, and I have a *very* hourglass figure.

[View:http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?keywordText=addie&line=m&keywordType=any&page=0&pageSize=12&style=J1183LU:550:0]

8 replies

Latest activity by laraluv42, 22 June, 2009 at 11:07
  • bluewater
    Beginner August 2009
    bluewater ·
    • Hide content

I've had to have about 3 or 4 fittings, so getting the first one in ASAP is probably not a bad idea. you can go from there dependant on how it fits / how much weight you lose through WW.

but 6-8 weeks before your wedding for a *final* fitting is quite far in advance.

• rockclimbingtigger
    Beginner October 2009
    rockclimbingtigger ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Bluewater ?

I probably should have mentioned that I actually live 1.5 hours away from where I am getting my dress from! Went shopping with mum obviously and found the dress at home, but now live 70 miles away. The shop do know this, hence why we bought the dress, they said we could do all fittings in a weekend if necessary, as I can't drive up there every week due to work!

Ah well, it'll get sorted. ?

• moomin8804
    Beginner July 2009
    moomin8804 ·
    • Hide content

Lovely dress! ?

I agree with bluewater, maybe it's best you go in asap just in case you need 2 or 3 fittings. I've had two fittings, and i'm going for my third next week, which should be my last!

• rockclimbingtigger
    Beginner October 2009
    rockclimbingtigger ·
    • Hide content

Hi Moomin8804,

Thats what I'm doing, I have no problem with going in to have my initial fitting, I'm going next week. It just seemed odd that they wanted my final fitting to be 8 weeks before the wedding. I'm more than happy to have numerous fittings if thats whats needed, but would like the last one as close to the day as possible, as my size can fluctuate so much being only 5 foot 1!

• boogiebelle
    Beginner August 2009
    boogiebelle ·
    • Hide content

I am picking up my dres tomorrow which is 6 weeks before after being altered. As it is lace up, it shouldn't need any more altering but the lady who is doing it has said that if nearer the time, I lose more weight (or put on) etc then just to give her a call back 2 weeks before. Really depends on the style of dress too

Oh, suppose I should add that I will PROBABLY be picking up the dress as may try it on and the alterations may not be quite right. We'll see.

• Stupidgirl45
    Beginner July 2009
    Stupidgirl45 ·
    • Hide content

Had my 1st fitting today (5 weeks to go) and then next + final on 3rd July (3 weeks to go)

But my dress pretty much fits

I think go in asap and then go from there, esp if you think you might lose weight. And I would like to add that the weight has dropped off me in the last month and I've only been to the gym once. So it does happen!

• bluewater
    Beginner August 2009
    bluewater ·
    • Hide content

Tigger, would it be an option to find a seamstress local to you to do your alterations? my dress shop was up in central london, and i didn't want to be trekking up there to get my alterations done (especially when they only did midweek appointments!) so i just picked up the dress and am using a seamstress a local shop recommends, on a private basis, for less than I would have paid through my actual dress shop?

sg45, if only the weight would drop off me... <sigh>

• rockclimbingtigger
    Beginner October 2009
    rockclimbingtigger ·
    • Hide content

Good idea bluewater thanks! Hadn't thought of that........?

Sorry for the late reply, been working all weekend :o(

My bridesmaid dresses are from a shop in Grantham, I could see if they have a seamstress who would do my dress alterations.

Thank you guys! ?

• laraluv42
    Beginner August 2013
    laraluv42 ·
    • Hide content

I'm having my final fitting about 3 weeks before. Love the dress, I like all the lace detail at the bottom. Very pretty.

I've got a Maggie too!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics