Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hjp
Beginner June 2025 Gloucestershire

Finances….a strange one

Hjp, 5 of April of 2023 at 23:40 Posted on Planning 0 6
Hi everyone,

Myself and my fiancé got engaged in September 2022 on the beautiful island of Greece. We have just started to look at some venues with a view to get married in 2025 probably September.
For context, we bought our home in 2021 and we have been renovating it, and should finish it this year. The reno has eaten all our savings and we have had to take out a small loan to finish off the last rooms due to the cost of living crisis/materials and labour increasing.
We are being realistic in what we view as we know we don’t want to go above 20k. We both work for the emergency services so although our wage is decent, it’s not anything to sing and dance about. My fiancés parents have said they will give us 5k towards the wedding as that is what they gave his brother however, they asked my fiancé if we had asked my parents what they would be contributing. I was shocked by this as I would never dream of asking my parents for money for our wedding. I am an only child and my parents are well off but I do not feel as if I should be asking them for money.
I appreciate this is a strange issue but has anyone ever asked for approached this with there parents and how did you go about it? Or did you plan your wedding and see what happens?
Please can you also share any wedding money saving tips? We want a very modern wedding so no cake, no favours but a good photographer and stylist.
Thank you in advance

6 replies

Latest activity by Clare, 14 of April of 2023 at 01:50
  • H
    Expert November 2022 Lincolnshire
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content

We planned our budget based on what we were comfortable spending, with any family contributions being a benefit. We were the same as you with knowing we would get something from my in-laws because they contributed to their other son's wedding. My parents had never mentioned it but a cheque arrived from my stepmum a few days after our engagement and my Dad gave us money a few weeks later. I would never had dreamed of asking them for money though.

I don't think it's any business of your in-laws if/what your parents contribute to the wedding. They are giving you this money because they love their son, it's not a competition with the other parents.

Regarding saving tips, guest numbers is going to be one of your biggest influencers on price. The more people you invite, the larger the venue needs to be and the more food/drink to pay for.
  • S
    Rockstar April 2023 West London
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content

Perhaps they’re asking because they want to make sure their £5k is enough to support you, rather than to compete? When we got engaged my father in law offered £1k, asked if my mum would be able to contribute, and when I said she wasn’t in a position to, my MIL added another £1k and offered to buy our cake for us. It could even be that they know your parents are well-off and are worried their (very generous!) contribution looks stingy!

We managed to do our dream wedding with a final spend of £12k. As Hayley mentioned above, guest list is the biggest factor when it comes to cost. We chose to have a smaller guest list of 70 and make sure everyone had a wonderful time, rather than inviting more and spreading everything more thinly.

Some of our big savers:

- I did my own flowers for me, the bridesmaids, and buttonholes. I had so many compliments on them on the day and one friend even asked me to recommend my florist for her own wedding. It was a lot of work and trial runs, but so worth it, as I only spent £150 on flowers, plus maybe £50 on trial bunches and equipment.

- Made the choice that we would pay for bridesmaid hair, but they would do their own makeup.

- I made the place settings - hobbycraft place cards, gold pen, stick on flowers. Can’t have cost more than a tenner.

- We didn’t print individual menus. We got acrylic photo frames, put the name of table on one side and the menu on the other. We only printed individual menus for our vegan guests.

- No erroneous spending on unnecessary entertainment like photo booths, magicians etc. Instead we gathered games (trivia cards, articulate, uno, decks of cards etc) and set up a games table, which we got so much positive feedback about.

- Instead of a full evening buffet, the venue did bacon sandwiches, which were incredible!

- No evening guests, so this cut out the feeling of having to invite more people than we wanted, because if we didn’t like them enough to be there for the whole day, they weren’t coming (bye obligatory invitations to work colleagues!)

Although that makes everything sound really DIY, because we focused on everything coming together in colour scheme, font etc, it was still a really classy style, and it all worked perfectly!

• A
    Beginner February 2025 Gloucestershire
    Angie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m doing similar! 70 Guests Max. No evening guests. No need for a lot of flowers as the Barn venue is beautiful as it is. No cake. Scratch cards as favours. We can also take our own alcohol so at Easter/Christmas/valentines/ Bank holidays we can take advantage of the supermarket offers. Love that you did your own flowers!! Love the idea of bacon sandwiches too! 🙌🏻
  • Sarah
    Rockstar August 2024 West Midlands
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    Hi lovely.

I almost felt like I was reading my own message here. We’re also front line and my parents have helped with 5K whereas his has not and I feel it’s awkward asking the question too. We have dropped it out there my family is helping and waiting for them to take the bite but it’s not happened yet but also are aware it may cause a bit of distance beteeen the families this way as looks like competition although would never be. Maybe it’s worth suggesting an item they could help with like wedding cake, DJ instead so they can see where it’ll be used x
  • Suzanne
    Beginner July 2027 New Jersey
    Suzanne ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations on your engagement! It's great that you're being realistic and setting a budget for your wedding. It's also understandable that you may feel uncomfortable asking your parents for money.

One approach could be to have a conversation with your parents and let them know about your plans for the wedding and your budget. Let them know that while you appreciate their support, you don't want to put any financial burden on them. If they offer to contribute, then you can accept it graciously, but if not, then you can continue with your plans based on your own budget.

As for wedding money saving tips, consider having the wedding on a less popular day (like a Friday or Sunday) or during an off-season to save on venue costs. You can also consider having a smaller guest list, which can save on food and beverage costs. Another option is to DIY some of the decorations or centerpieces to save on decor expenses. Finally , consider hiring a newer photographer or stylist who may charge less but still have great work.

• C
    Savvy July 2023 Somerset
    Clare ·
    • Hide content

Heya,

I think the traditional route is the brides family pay for the wedding? Certainly in some other cultures that's true but over here too I've heard. I was chatting with my fiance about this as we were wondering whether to ask my parents or not for any help as obviously that would massively change how many we can invite, what we spend on or not, etc. Clearly, this doesn't happen in many cases now, but IMHO it should not not be asked, I don't think its rude to ask, so long as you feel Ok doing it.

My fiance has 2 female cousins, to be fair that family does have a lot of money, and their dad paid for both their weddings, in full, must've been a good £20k each. (they both married before I met him so about 10 years + ago too)

If you feel OK doing it of course. My fiance is quite a bit older than me and sadly his mum died a couple of years ago and his dad died ages ago, so my parents were the only set of parents that we could ask. I'm an only child too, so guess that helps as if you were one of say 5 other children or daughters they might be thinking, oh dear do we have to do this 5 x?!!

I approached it very gently, and said, if there is anything you could help us with we would really appreciate it, and left them with the (quite expensive!) venue wedding price list. Bless them it did take them a week or so to get back to us, and I didn't push it AT ALL (and obviously it would depend on each situation of each parent/s.) my parents are amazing, and don't have loads of money, but are very sweet, and very mellow people, not big partiers at all - and they ended up coming back with that they would pay for the daytime costs and we would pay for the evening party as its more of our friends. So maybe something like that would work? xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics