Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Beginner July 2022 West Midlands

Finding someone to marry us…

Tom, 25 of October of 2021 at 21:51 Posted on Planning 0 2

Hello, my partner, Sophie, and I are planning a wedding for next year and we are getting there with it. The big thing we’re stuck on at the moment is finding someone to marry us. Sophie is atheistic and so we ruled out a church wedding quite early and we are getting married on private property outdoors which means that we will need to have a civil ceremony a few days before the wedding - we’re fine with popping to the registry office so that’s not an issue..

The problem we’re having is finding the right option for someone to officiate on the big day. My understanding is that we have two options

1. A wedding celebrant - we’ve been to a humanist ceremony before and it was lovely, personal and very funny but there were a few slightly wacky elements to the ceremony that put us off a little. We’re open to making it personal by writing our own vows, picking readings etc and we would like to incorporate more traditional elements like the do the usual ‘to have and to hold bit’ but some of what I’m reading on celebrant’s websites seems a bit out there for us. Sorry to sound so boring!

2. Finding a friend to officiate. We have someone in mind but this is a big ask and he would be great but I would personally prefer that the ceremony was in the hands of a professional.

Am I missing anything? There just doesn’t seem to be the right choice for us at the moment. Open to all suggestions. Thanks un advance.

2 replies

Latest activity by PhotographybyBillHaddon, 27 of October of 2021 at 14:12
  • Halta
    Curious August 2022 Hertfordshire
    Halta ·
    • Hide content

Hi Tom,

It's worth speaking to a celebrant as you can probably pick and choose what you want to include. As it's not legal, there's no real requirement to have any of it included so i'm sure you can chat with them and point out what you would and wouldn't want.

Good luck!

• PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

"We’re open to making it personal by writing our own vows, picking readings etc and we would like to incorporate more traditional elements like the do the usual ‘to have and to hold bit’ but some of what I’m reading on celebrant’s websites seems a bit out there for us. Sorry to sound so boring!"

As halta has said just speak to the celebrant about how you would like the ceremony to go. Dont be put off by what you see on celebrants websites as IMO its part of their remit to be "out there" to some extent as its sort of the reason people go for one in the first place. So in their PR info they would be likely to lean to the more "wacky" (as you say ) options of their service. But the whole point of using one is to be able to tailor it to exactly what you want.

Its a bit like photographers never showing family groups as they don't want to give the impression that they are a photographer that does lot of boring groups. Ever noticed how almost all photographers say they shoot in a documentary, informal, relaxed style, - well of course they do, if they said they shoot traditional groups then they would not get a look in. But in reality almost all weddings will want at least a handful of groups at some stage. Just like the celebrant in that most just want a nice personal ceremony with maybe some fun.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics