Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Beginner December 2014

FINDING THE PERFECT DRESS WITH RESTRICTED BUDGET

trucall, 3 of June of 2014 at 12:04 Posted on Planning 0 9

How do you shop around to find best price for a dress?

I have a shortlist of dresses I'm after I've been to a couple of shops but they are way out of my price range and I have been unsuccessful at finding samples for them in my size. Where should I be looking?

Ideally the sample should be size 16 or above (my dress size is 14-16).

Mori Lee Blu 5103

Christina rossi CR4141

Ronald Joyce Guiliana

Amanda Wyatt Hayden

Help! my wedding is 20th December so I've been told I need to order now if I can't find a sample to cut costs.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

9 replies

Latest activity by Lapland2015, 4 of June of 2014 at 09:17
  • emabee
    Beginner August 2014
    emabee ·
    • Hide content

Hi, look at David's Bridal. I got my dress from the Westfield branch and it was only £330 and that was full price. I was amazed!!

• donnyette
    Beginner December 2016
    donnyette ·
    • Hide content

I got mine from the wedding dress factory outlet in burbage, leics. Itshould have been 995 and I got it for 399.

I would really recommend an outlet. Sizes go up to the large 20s. They are designer dresses but end of line or exdess stock hence the discounted rate.

They have other outlets around uk. Here is mine x

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

Hi date twin!

In addition to other suggestions, perhaps try Plus Size Bridal, a quick scan of their website suggests they carry Mori Lee and they have a concessions website associated with them. Or Curves and Couture.

There are a number of factory outlet places you could try, depending on where you live (just type wedding dress outlet into Google). And there's always Preloved or eBay too if you don't mind second hand.

Or if you can't find the designer dress you want and are happy to go with something similar, someone who makes their own like http://www.gracedress.co.uk/about-us/ might be able to help.

• mustard_mitt
    Beginner September 2015
    mustard_mitt ·
    • Hide content

Have a look at preloved, you can put in the wedding dress name and if it's listed it'll find it for you cheaper than in the store.

Ok, so it;s been worn once, but it's been washed, no big deal. I quite like the idea of wearing a dress with 'history'. You may find exactly what you're looking for, for less than half the cost!

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

I have a mori lee - i was a size 12 when i ordered it and had to order a 16! Their voyage collection is really well priced and along the lines of what you are looking at (mine is similar - number 6778 if you want to look and was £550 new.)

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content

I'm being a bit thick with the original question - I take it you aren't just looking for a shop with a sample but one with a sample sale on? Or are you just wanting to try them on again? Most shops only sell their samples at the end of the season so if you are wanting to actually buy the sample - you will need to find a shop that not only stocked it as a sample but has stock left in their sample sale. I haven't looked at the dresses but if they are current season you might not find a shop willing to sell you the sample yet.

If the full price dresses aren't within your budget you could try preloved for it second hand or alternatively, give up on the full price ones you have seen and go to a factory outlet. There are quite a few factory outlets around which have dresses from a few seasons ago and are as lovely as the current season dresses just a fraction of the price. Good Luck!

• Decorated_Doll
    Beginner July 2016
    Decorated_Doll ·
    • Hide content

ALuvBug - Oh my Lord, your dress is STUNNING! Of course all dresses are lovely but one is so nice and looks incredible on you! Wowser!

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content

I think that you'll be very lucky to find what you're after but then you won't know unless you try. I'd start off by looking at the designer's websites to find the details of any stockists near you and get on the phone to them all. That would probably be the quickest bet. Just to echo what sillywrong said though, I have an Amanda Wyatt dress and was a highstreet size 16 when I ordered it. After comparing my measurements to the designer measurements they ordered me a size 20, so don't expect your wedding dress size to automatically match you normal dress size. ?

• Elderberry Brides
    Elderberry Brides ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Your wedding date means time is still on your side but if you want to order your dress it would be advisable to place your order fairly soon and definitely within the next few weeks to avoid any unnecessary stress closer to your big day. The off-the-peg option will take any pressure off you enormously while an ex-sample dress means you could have your dress in a matter of days rather than months.

The Mori Lee 5103 (from the Blu collection) is currently available in our store.

Until 30th June, we have a promotion - get a FREE pair of gorgeous bridal shoes worth up to £100.00.

Our Plus Size Bridal website carries the Julietta collection which is Mori Lee's label especially for fuller figure brides.

And, as mentioned by another member, we do have a concession website, Bridal Bargains, for ex-sample dresses in all sizes... all at HALF PRICE or less!

Hope this helps and good luck in your search for your dream dress.

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

I don't know where you come from but if your in/near kent or know anyone near pop into pumpkins and dragonflies in Folkestone as they are closing in a couple of weeks so they might have something ur after x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics