Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner July 2014

Fire door stress!

exitedbridetobe, 29 of March of 2013 at 17:02 Posted on Planning 0 14

Our ceremony & reception room has a very ugly fire door. Its on the wall our guests will be looking towards at our civil ceremony.

I'm going to ask if I can cover it with a starlight backdrop, but I doubt they will agree due to H&S issues. (Will be totally gutted about this as Ive always wanted a backdrop, and can hire a lovely one for only 50squids!)

Does anyone have any ideas how we could cover up the ugliness of it without interfering with health and safety?

Heres a quick pic to let you know what im dealing with

14 replies

Latest activity by exitedbridetobe, 30 of March of 2013 at 15:29
  • M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

You can get a curtain backdrop with a slit in it so the door still functions for the ceremony, but then take it down for the reception. safety is paramount after all!!

Have a look at page 7 on this document (our venue) as the top two pictures both show the same wall with and without the wall covered.

https://hunsburyhillcentre.co.uk/uploads/prices_pdfs/9/1.pdf

Good luck!

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't have noticed the door if you hadn't pointed it out. I doubt guests will be distracted from the ceremony by it I was expevting a big green thing with a fire exit this way light over it

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I honestly wouldn't worry- we had a fire door much the same as yours in the corner of our room and I cant say I even noticed it on the day. The Togs have also manged to not get it into any photos (or have edited it out)

• Aurora Borealis
    Beginner June 2013
    Aurora Borealis ·
    • Hide content

It took me a while to actually find it! It's really not that bad, I'm sure that's not what people will be noticing on the day.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

You can't legally cover or obstruct a fire door, it is there for your safety!!

Trust me the results of your guests not being able to find their way out in the event of a fire will be far more 'ugly'.

• Piestar
    Beginner April 2014
    Piestar ·
    • Hide content

Honestly, I really wouldn't worry, it's a door. I wouldn't have a problem with it if I were a first. As others members have said, it has to be kept free from any obstruction as it is a fire door. Maybe you can hang your backdrop so it leaves the door free?

• Mrspetal
    Beginner February 2014
    Mrspetal ·
    • Hide content

Hire a sexy man to hand out drinks in front of the door.

Hello Diet coke man....

• MrsSkinner2be
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsSkinner2be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Best idea ever!

• Mrspetal
    Beginner February 2014
    Mrspetal ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Why thankyou Smiley smile lol

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What door?

• mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly this!

I was expecting it to jump out of the screen and I actually had to look for it. I really don't think it's too obvious xx

• karenluke22
    Beginner August 2013
    karenluke22 ·
    • Hide content

I couldn't see it either. No-one will notice, they'll be too busy looking at you and your new husband. And you'll be too busy to notice too. Please don't worry.

MOMB - great place to get married, I've been to loads of weddings there and they were all amazing. Xx

• OB
    Beginner January 2011
    OB ·
    • Hide content

When I saw that you'd flashed a photo I was expecting a monstrosity. I had to actively look for the door. I think you are really overthinking it.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

I had to search to find the door, I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

Due to H&S reasons I very much doubt they'll let you put anything over the door anyway. I work in property management which includes ensuring the blocks of flats are compliant in terms of H&S and if we were to put something on the door to hide it to make it blend in better or hide the fire escape sign the propeprty wouldn't be compliant under current legislation. The door and it's sign must be clear so access is easy and it must be easily spotted in the case of an emergency.

• E
    Beginner July 2014
    exitedbridetobe ·
    • Hide content

Wow, great replies thank you! My mind is at ease now Smiley smile

Also, MrsPetal, fantastic idea, though I do hope my h2b doesnt expect a page3 girl to be stood there too! :o

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics