Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner July 2019

Firle place wedding - COV-ID 19 what do we do

RomanticPurpleDecor31928, 22 of March of 2020 at 09:08 Posted on Planning 0 1

My friends wedding is in May at Firle Place and they are currently not offering any sort of cancellation or refund. They are saying it will go ahead which seems highly unlikely. The only thing they have offered is that we reschedule but they don’t have availability until late 2021 which isn’t seeming great right now.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with Firle place? Does anyone have their wedding in April there? Would be good to know if they’re offering a refund or not.

1 replies

Latest activity by Ben, 7 of May of 2021 at 14:00
  • Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

Hi there,

The problem with moving dates is that a venue loses the ability to earn on the new date. This scales to all suppliers. If I'm charging £100 for a Saturday in May and it gets postponed to the next May, instead of earning £200 across two years I'll only earn £100. That's a 50% drop in bi-annual income (essentially like someone getting half their expected pay packet for two years) meaning many suppliers will just cancel and pull their contract as you've decided to postpone rather than something out of your control cancels the wedding for you and in turn triggers your insurance.

Venues are pretty much the same, and their running costs will be constant regardless. In the case of Covid-19 many are not insured so they have no choice but to carry on regardless unless told to shut down. Wedding venue overheads ar simply HUGE just for being there without any events.

That venues are offering to move the date at all is a really good sign. For example, Peckforton Castle will only move the date if a couple pays another 75% of the venue fee (as heard from one couple scheduled to be married there).

While some of my couples are still pressing ahead with their May weddings many have moved to later in the year and some to 2021, which I think is sensible to do tbh. We all have to accept that we're all going to get a punch on the nose here and it's nobodies fault. Some are insisting on tying the knot in 2020 because they have a thing about the number or it interferes with their long term plan but this is out of our hands and we need to make the best of it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics