Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mellow_Yellow
Beginner May 2012

First Choice/Thomson flight upgrades

Mellow_Yellow, 1 of February of 2012 at 16:50 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 15

Spurred on by posts from Clairenumbers and Flow

Have any of you upgraded with this airline on a long haul flight?

How was it?

Would you pay £250 - £300pp return for it?

Selling points?

Bad points - if any?

15 replies

Latest activity by HelDR, 2 of February of 2012 at 16:26
  • McSquirtle
    Beginner June 2011
    McSquirtle ·
    • Hide content

We flew to Mexico through Thomson and upgraded to Premium as my H is very tall and for a long haul it would've been a nightmare! I think it was definitely worth the money - although I'm sure it wasn't that expensive for us. I seem to have £150 in my head but will have to double check for you.
    Selling points - I made full advantage of the free drinks ?
    Bad points - You should check where your seats are as we specified the window seats as there are only 2 seats as opposed to the middle where there's 3. I wouldn't have wanted to sit next to some random, and that would have been a waste of money in my eyes.

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content

We are flying with Thomson and I wondered the same thing. Will keep an eye on this thread

• Bittersweet
    Beginner June 2012
    Bittersweet ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for posting this, I too will keep an eye on the response. We have upgraded with first choice/thomson when flying to Mexico. Have upgraded using other airlines before but not these. I will be selecting our seats as soon as we can to avoid sitting in a 3.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

We flew with Thomson to Mexico - and took extra leg room but not the whole premium economy thing - might have felt different if it was actual first class though. For me to pay £300pp i'd want more than the advantages which were an inch on the space provided seat wise, and free food and drink and upgraded films (we paid £5 for the films). Even really hammering it, we couldn't have made it worth our while and our £600 was much better spent having some professional pictures taken while away - in my opinion.

I do however recall, when we arrived in Mexico we could have booked premium economy (or whatever it's called) for $150 each - so it was cheaper out there for coming back, but then, thats assuming they have the space to do so.

We were exceptionally lucky with our extra leg room seats - we had so much space I could fully stretch my legs and still not fill the space - same for my very tall H. Plus all our bags etc. It was worth the extra £120 (I think it was), again, in our opinion.

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

We've flown premier class, when we went to the DR back in '09 it was only like £100 or so- nothing nr the £250 mark, i loved the ''please turn right'' and not left into economy for a change ? it's worth it in my opinion cos of the extra leg room but whats wrong is when u pay premeier is that you have to pay again to make sure your seated together in the window seats.. it is a nice treat tho but not at the silly prices now ?

• H
    Beginner June 2012
    HelDR ·
    • Hide content

We flew premier class a few years ago and have booked for when we fly out for our wedding in June - think we paid £200pp

If you think what you'd pay for food (you usually get a choice of meals on PC)/ drinks/ films etc then no you won't get to the £400 (unless you eat/ drink a lot ?)but the extra comfort (i'm not a great flyer), priority boarding/ de-boarding (whatever you call it) etc makes it worth it in my opinion.

• Hollie1984
    Beginner July 2012
    Hollie1984 ·
    • Hide content

Hello

When we booked our honeymoon, we asked about this and said we may add it at a later date. The travel agent told us that if we wait until nearer the time 6 weeks before i think and there are still seats available, they offer them at a discounted price.

HTH

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

exactly this - all long haul we upgrade and we've been with thomson/first choice last 3 years and i think its worth it for the above and extra leg room and the more choice of tv/films on demand - keeps my young teenager entertained.

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

I think the planes have been firstchoice and we've upgreaded i agree i dont think you can on Thomson flights

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

We booked through First Choice but the flight is Thomson Airlines...they are the same company after all.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hmmm, how young? I was under the impression it was no children allowed, tbh that was one of the main selling points for me.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

you can, as we have!!

• H
    Beginner June 2012
    HelDR ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm not sure if this is correct as we're booked to go out in June with family and our nephew is only 3

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Are you also flying with Thomson?

Sorry to those who have children, I'm not trying to be offensive. Our time will come, but for the moment we're making the most of our kid-free years ?

• H
    Beginner June 2012
    HelDR ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yep.

Don't worry, i'm the same at the moment ? and know my SIL2B hates noisey children even though it's her son. I just know that the whole family are booked and we're all in premium inc. a seat booked for nephew

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics