Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner May 2013

First Dance

Liam99, 4 April, 2013 at 09:02 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hi - only 3 weeks to go and we are still not settled on our first dance.

We have a favourite song of ours that we really like that is a little bit dancy (an old George Harrison number) - but we're not really sure how to dance to it. And now I think we are getting self concious when we practice.

We will try again this weekend - but the temptation is to find something slow, and play it safe.

Any suggestions welcome.

9 replies

Latest activity by toptotty11177, 7 April, 2013 at 10:07
  • A
    Beginner April 2013
    aimzxx ·
    • Hide content

Could you put a few choices on in your living room an have a little pre wedding dance an see which one feels right? x

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I am all for upbeat first dances.

We had a rock tune that has a slower breakdown in the middle. We jumped around a lot, twirled a bit, headbanged, did a little cuddle (my back to his front) for the slow bit, then jumped around more.

My best mate had a quick tune as well (a Johnny Cash duet). They basically swished around, singing to each other across the dance floor, beckoning each other in, pushing each other away.

You don't have to hold each other. If it's a bit dancey, dance! Pull faces, laugh with each other, be natural.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

PS - what is the song?

• E
    Beginner October 2013
    Emma158 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I think if it's your favourite song then it obviously means something to you both so go for it and enjoy yourselves. I think there's a danger of thinking too much about it- we have decided on 'Something Changed' by Pulp and we can't really dance to it at all but every time we've put it on we both wiggle our bums a bit and it makes us both laugh so we're going for it anyway!

• L
    Beginner May 2013
    Liam99 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

The song we were looking at was "What is life" by George Harrison.

We really like it, but don't know how to really dance to it Smiley smile

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's got hand clapping opportunities, a bit of 60s style mash potato, a bit of jumping and singing to each other. I've just Googled a video and found George Harrison doing NY NY style kicks to it.

It's a very nice tune and a good choice. It's fairly typically Beatles-sounding so pretty much anything you'd do to "I wanna hold your hand" will fit!

• Lullabelle
    Beginner August 2016
    Lullabelle ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't worry too much after 6 months of bickering over which song we would have (the only thing about the whole wedding we have bickered about!) We finally decided last weekend, we are dancing it this Saturday!!!

We've gone totally upbeat and off beat, as we're having Opps... I did it again by Britney Spears!!! This is my second marriage and it was my OH choice!!!

I just don't know how I am going to manage it in my dress though...?

• MrsWill2b
    Beginner March 2013
    MrsWill2b ·
    • Hide content

We had the slow "I love you just the way you are" Barry White. Played about 2 mins of it then we went into a faster number "My first, my last everything" Barry White and at that song everyone was invited up. Al isn't big on dancing but we did a few twirls and with the guests joining us for the 2nd song it was just perfect.

• JSuitsVox
    JSuitsVox ·
    • Hide content

Hi

We have played the following songs live as first dances recently, they're a bit different but may give you some inspiration : )

Iris - Goo Goo Dolls

Legohouse - Ed Sheeran

Hiding Tonight - Alex Turner

Gravity - Embrace

Good luck!

• T
    Beginner August 2014
    toptotty11177 ·
    • Hide content

Ooh I already had Iris on my list of possibles but just added Embrace to it as well now.

Been really worried about First Dance song as we don't have a song (apart from when we split up one which is a bit inappropriate I think!)

Thanks for the help!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics