Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner July 2015

first dance - 'alternative' music to waltz to?

celticcurl, 22 of April of 2015 at 14:02 Posted on Planning 0 12

OH and I have been offered free waltz lessons - we start on Saturday. We're going to waltz for our first dance but don't want a 'standard' first dance song. We're both into punk/ska/alternative/indie type music. Can anyone suggest something suitable - I'm crap at listening to the timing in music and working out the appropriate dance style.

12 replies

Latest activity by celticcurl, 28 of April of 2015 at 11:21
  • InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

The only one I can think of is Waltz #2 by Elliott Smith. You don't get many modern songs in waltz time!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Edit: suggested Golden Brown by the Stranglers then realised it's not all in 3/4. Oops

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ID I thought you'd be the person to answer this question! Really love the stranglers so it's a shame about golden brown. Let me know if you think of anything else.

OH also loves the Beatles. I'm not fussed either way. but I've already chosen a beatles song to walk down the aisle to as a surprise for OH. We're having beautiful day by the Levellers to walk back down after the ceremony.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

The only Beatles song I can think of that's in 3/4 is A Taste of Honey and that's not really appropriate. I dunno, I feel like there are more but they'll all be pretty obscure. Someone else might be able to think of something though!

• thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk
    thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Mmmmm.... 'All that you are' by The Goo Goo Dolls is a track that would fit into 3/4 time.

I'll have a think about Beatles tracks in 3/4. The only one I can think of at the moment is 'Norwegian Wood'! Not very appropriate lyrics for a FD!

I'll keep thinking.....

James

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

Why can't punk bands write in 3/4 time??

• thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk
    thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Lol!

Just thinking about lots of punk pogo-ing to lots of 'strictly' style waltzes.

Maybe a new challenge for the sex pistols???!

James

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

This really is driving me mad. Maybe I should consider something Irish (as I am) or scottish (as OH is). I just don't want a standard wedding ballad.

• M
    Beginner October 2015
    MrsRoughToBe ·
    • Hide content

Well we're doing nothing else matters by metallica....not entirely sure how this dancing nonsense will go.....

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Nothing Else Matters is in 6/8 (had to think about that one for a minute) so not quite right for a waltz either. I hate dancing (as in freestyle dancing) to syncopated songs. Still can't get I'm Broken by pantera quite right and I've been attempting to dance to that in clubs for YEARS.

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

Any help????

http://www.weddingmuseum.com/weddingblog/16-modern-waltz-songs-for-weddings/

• Inspyre
    Beginner August 2016
    Inspyre ·
    • Hide content

FH says that some Biffy Clyro songs are in 3/4 but none of them very first dance appropriate off the top of his head!

Apparently Journey - Open Arms is 3/4

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the suggestions - I'm gradually working through you tube clips to listen to them all.

Please keep your ideas coming.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics