Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

LuxuriousRedDiamonds491
Beginner May 2016

First Dance song...

LuxuriousRedDiamonds491, 29 of April of 2016 at 20:53 Posted on Planning 0 21

I want something a bit unusual for our first dance song.. I like Hymn For The Weekend by Coldplay. It's current but I love it's uplifting tune. I'm a bit worried about the lyrics though...what do people think? TIA

21 replies

Latest activity by InkedDoll, 16 of May of 2016 at 16:42
  • A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

I love, love, love that song, CliftonBride.

• D
    Beginner December 2016
    DB2016 ·
    • Hide content

We are having the acoustic version of Everlong whilst we sign the register! It's in my top 5 favourite ever songs, for our first dance we are stuck between All I want is you (U2) and Stellify (Ian Brown) whichever we don't have we will have as our walk out music xx

• B
    Beginner May 2016
    Boro_Bex ·
    • Hide content

We're having Everlong during the ceremony as well! Our first dance is Electric Dreams by The Human League, a bit of an unusual choice but it's OH's favourite song.

• L
    Beginner August 2016
    Laurensmum ·
    • Hide content

It's currently a toss up between:

Alicia Keys " If I ain't got you" and Bright Eyes "first day of my life"

I'm hoping OH will compromise and have Bright Eyes at register signing!

• soraneko
    Beginner June 2016
    soraneko ·
    • Hide content

We've (finally) chosend "A Moment Like This" by Kelly Clarkson, but it's probably a bit too cliche?

My other ideas were:

"I've Got a Feeling" - Black Eyed Peas (maybe bit fast if you want to do a traditional slow dance)
    "I Just Can't Stop Loving You" - Michael Jackson (the OH is a fan of his music)
    "Unconditionally" - Katy Perry
    "How Long Will I Love You" - Ellie Golding

I hope this maybe helps?

• rach_217
    Beginner June 2016
    rach_217 ·
    • Hide content

We are having the Courteeners, Take over the World - my h2b's choice and when I listened to the words I loved it!!

• U
    Beginner August 2016
    u_21@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

We are struggling with this. We like iris by go go dolls and also bonfire heart by James blunt but can't decide

• Bunnybunbun
    Beginner March 2018
    Bunnybunbun ·
    • Hide content

I think we are going to have Thank You For Loving Me by Bon Jovi

my other ones I'd consider are Think About You by Guns and Roses or Without You by Motley Crue

cant decide whether to walk down the aisle to Don't Cry by Guns and Roses, Captain Crash and the Beauty Queen from Mars by Bon Jovi or Kickstart My Heart by Motley Crue

• Sweeties
    Beginner November 2016
    Sweeties ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh my, I just love these choices. We are both really struggling at the mo.

Although I'm pretty sure he wants the walk out to be Spanish Flea by Herb Alpert lol

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content

If you like the song and it means something to you both, then I say go for it Smiley smile Doesn't need to be a slow, smushy number.

We're having "Wonderwall" by Oasis- it's our song & reminds me of the drunken night my OH serenaded me with it.

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Moonbeam88 ·
    • Hide content

We're having an acoustic version of Jess Glynne 'My Love'. We were torn between this and Take That 'a million love songs' as my OH loves Take That. In the end I was worried it'd be seen as too cheesy! But might try and get it planned in for the end of the night x

• B
    Beginner May 2016
    BrideMMD ·
    • Hide content

We very nearly went for Stellify, absolutely love that song. But we're doing the Pulp Fiction dance, eek!

• P
    Beginner April 2016
    Pooba ·
    • Hide content

Love the Pulp Fiction link, BrideMMD! We had 'You Never Can Tell' by Chuck Berry while we signing the register and Dad was doing the dance to me from the front row - PF is his favourite film and we liked the song!

For our first dance we had 'With My Eyes Open' by Lonestar - OH's favourite band and we thought 'Amazed' was a bit too cliché.

• N
    Beginner January 2016
    NoMoore ·
    • Hide content

We had 'The One' by Kodaline... probably everyone has had it recently but the words really fit with us.

I did however walk down to an instrumental of The Cave by Mumford & Sons as it had personal meaning to me and my husband. He didn't know though, he thought I was being piped in so it was a surprise for him!

• D
    Beginner July 2016
    DevonBelle ·
    • Hide content

Hi TIA,

Ah that Coldplay song is great, I think that will work really well! I think the lyrics can be interpretted as drunk and high on love, so it fits well Smiley smile Beautiful lyrics too:

Oh, angel sent from up above
    You know you make my world light up
    When I was down, when I was hurt
    You came to lift me up
    Life is a drink, and love's a drug
    Oh, now I think I must be miles up
    When I was a river, dried up
    You came to rain a flood

Lovely!

We are having Bob Marley I wanna love ya. Absolutely love that song, we didn't want a slow one, and our venue is beachside so the reggae vibe will work perfectly.

We're walking down the aisle to a piano version of Promise by Ben Howard whchi my professional musican friend will play and sing as a gift to us (I heard her first draft version - cried like a baby it's beautiful!) And she will play instrumental versions of Ordinary People Jon Legend, and If I Aint Got You Alicia Keys. For the walking out of the Church we are having Grow Old With Me by Tom Odell, which is so uplifting and wonderful I can't waittttt!!!

Good luck with the rest of your planning x

• rachietown
    Beginner July 2016
    rachietown ·
    • Hide content

We really struggled with the first dance song and thought of tons of beautiful songs with gorgeous lyrics but in the end after a drunken night out we have decided on Angel by Shaggy as it's the one song we always dance to together on a night out (and we have done for the past 10 years!)

It's just the right amount of cheesy and silly to take the edge of and give everyone a giggle while still being meaningful. Haha!

• jayannfernandez
    jayannfernandez ·
    • Hide content

Any song is a good song from them (a coldplay fan haha) and as long as you two enjoy it, with or without meaning to it, it would be awesome. we had "i will" by the beatles. Smiley smile

• Bobbys_Girl
    Beginner October 2017
    Bobbys_Girl ·
    • Hide content

My OH was absolutely set on Carly Simon's Nobody Does It Better, so we are having it. I love it and have never heard it as a first dance song at any weddings we have been to. Then he has said I can choose the song that follows so I have chosen Barry White's My First, My Last, My Everything as I love it and hopefully it'll get everyone dancing! (tempted to get my bridesmaids to learn the Ally McBeal dance to it but can't decide if that is really awful lol).

We are ending the evening on Wonderwall, which was my first choice as a first dance song.

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

We're using a song by a little-known singer that we saw on a small stage at Glastonbury last year - we knew it would be our first song before we were engaged! When he performs it live he sings it with his wife, but the recorded versions are all just of him singing it, so I'm going to email him & see if he can send me a version of it with both of them singing!

The song is beautiful & we both love the words, but it's a bit of a shame that we'll probably never hear it on the radio & be reminded of the day by surprise, if that makes sense, I think it's a song we'll only hear if we make the effort to play it!

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This has reminded me of a conversation I had at a recent wedding I went to. A guy on my table said I should pick the 3 last songs of the night to end it on a high note. So I was just wondering if anyone else had given this much thought and if you had any suggestions? Wonderwall is also a song that would automatically spring to mind for me.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The wedding we DJd last summer, the B&G picked the last two songs - All These Things That I've Done by the Killers, and then Champagne Supernova by Oasis. A dancey singalong one then a slow romantic one, went down very well.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics