Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

intrysthire

First Dance Song, current or classic?

intrysthire, 9 of June of 2015 at 17:00 Posted on Planning 0 19

Who has the final say over the first dance song, the Bride or Groom, especially if you have two different tastes in music.

For your first dance what songs are on your list? Does it have to be a modern track or do you prefer an old classic.

The most popular song at the moment is John Legend - All of Me, but how can you not love Etta James' - At Last??? Decisions, decisions, decisions!

The last wedding we did, the couple actually had 3 songs before the dance floor was opened.

19 replies

Latest activity by The Wedding Singer, 14 of June of 2015 at 16:04
  • Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

We've decided not to have a first dance, so we've managed to avoid this problem ?

I can imagine it being quite a toughie though, settling on one song! I know that we wouldn't have been likely to go for something current though, as obviously through work we hear the same things a lot. Ed Sheeran has been the most popular for us this year. John Legend all of me was the biggie last year and the year before was the Lumineers- Hey ho.

Are you planning a wedding at the moment too?

• S
    Beginner May 2016
    Spatey ·
    • Hide content

My friend at work told me about Boyce Avenue who do acoustic covers of recent songs so a bit of a different dimension. She chose Bruno Mars' Just the Way You Are but she had the Boyce Avenue version for an ultra romantic twist.

• LittleMissPanda
    Beginner October 2015
    LittleMissPanda ·
    • Hide content

My OH and I spent an hour each on YouTube and made a list of the songs we liked, and then compared to see if we liked any of the same. We only had one song that was on both of our lists, so we agreed that's our song Smiley smile

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

OH has zero interest in whether we have a first dance or not, as long as it isn't choreographed. I'm debating Too Good To Be True (OH sings this to me all the time), or a JPop song - Itsumo Nando Demo (from Spirited Away) or Hallucination. To be honest, we're both a bit self-conscious on the dance floor, so we probably won't have one.

• CornishBride89
    Beginner October 2015
    CornishBride89 ·
    • Hide content

We've gone for a Boyce Avenue version of a recent song - Teenage Dream!

We changed it from a song that was recent but too obvious. I don't want most people to be able to guess! :-)

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

Ive had a bride and groom do a medley of songs from YMCA to All of me, worked really well and was great fun.

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for the tip. I will check them out as we are looking for cover versions for some of our music choices.

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

We've been debating between Adieu by Enter Shikari, You and Me by Lifehouse and My Guardian Angel by Red Jumpsuit Apparatus I think we've decided on the last one though!

• SaraPoppy
    Dedicated July 2020
    SaraPoppy ·
    • Hide content

My fiancé didn't have a say. There's no other song more perfect for us than Etta James. Luckily he likes the song! John Legend was playing on the radio the minute out son was born so that song is really special for us too :-) xx

• Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content

I don't believe it should be the decision of the bride or groom, I think it should be the decision of the bride and groom together.

• NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

I think it should be a joint decision really, something that means a lot to you both. We have "our" song so it's going to be that!

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS^^^

• thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk
    thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

These days there are no rules really. Although it's great if the couple decide between themselves!!! Smiley winking

'All of me' is popular but not as much as last year.

The new song by Kodaline is proving to be a possible popular modern first dance hit.... https://youtu.be/xLPGtQoRUbk

What do you think????

James

• intrysthire
    intrysthire ·
    • Hide content

Interesting replies. In an ideal world and if the couple have "that song" then yes both the bride and groom can easily agree. However, if you do not, and the couple have differing tastes in music, ultimately one of you has to compromise.

I like the idea of comparing lists and seeing if any match, that is very fair. My partner has already picked 'our' first dance song, we haven't got a date yet lol.

Recently medleys are getting more popular, with the last song in the medley being up-tempo to get the party started, works really well.

The funniest first dance song I have played was this;

The groom was a bit of a joker and asked me to first play a drum & bass/jungle tune instead of the agreed slow dance track. It was so funny, the bride was in shock.

We believe your wedding reception should be fun, so enjoy it!

• cez1987
    Beginner October 2015
    cez1987 ·
    • Hide content

As soon as my OH and me heard ed Sheeran - all of me, we knew it was 'the one'. We were quite lucky really

• cez1987
    Beginner October 2015
    cez1987 ·
    • Hide content

Lmao not all of me. That's what I just read. Duh. Thinking out loud!!

• R
    Beginner June 2015
    RomanticRedHair152 ·
    • Hide content

We're having Ellie Goulding - Your song as our first dance

old song if you know the elton John version and new if you know Elles

I'm walking down the aisle to the instrumental version of all of me, I love it!

but it should be a decision for both of you, something you listen to that you both love that you can continue to cherish forever, not hear it in the future knowing that it was his choice of song that you hated - takes the magic away from it all!

• E
    Beginner April 2015
    elemden ·
    • Hide content

My H organised all of our music. We had a glorious Sunday morning with me having a big old lie in listening to him putting together playlists of all our favourites (v v v eclectic).

He chose our first dance which was The Jackson Sisters 'I believe in miracles' which was just SO right as soon as he mentioned it!

• J
    Beginner May 2015
    Jayla ·
    • Hide content

We had 'the one' by Kodaline as our first dance song. I wanted something classic that 100's of other people wouldn't have, but dh was insistent. It was my first compromise as a wife! I do tear up when I hear the song now though. Our second dance was the theme from beauty and the beast! I wanted it as the first dance really. It had everyone up dancing - amazing moment! The DJ captured it on video too x

• The Wedding Singer
    The Wedding Singer ·
    • Hide content

It's always nice to hear something different and out of the ordinary, although maybe that's just because I often hear the same songs quite a few times throughout the year!

I guess the danger of picking a new 'en vogue' song is that some of your guests may have already seen it done for a first dance in that year. I think At Last is my all time favourite classic choice Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics