Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

daisymoo86
Beginner July 2016

First Dance Song - Rock/Indie Alternative

daisymoo86, 27 of May of 2014 at 12:18 Posted on Planning 0 67

We were at my friends wedding at the weekend and they only chose their first dance song the week of their wedding. It was a beautiful song that had all the right words but not something I would ever have expected them to go for.

Anyway, it got us thinking about our first dance song. We do not want the stereotypical songs etc. We both love rock/indie music and our band as a couple is Biffy Clyro. Anyone have any suggestions for a nice rock/indie 1st dance? We love Biffy Clyro Mountains but not sure its right? Or Foo fighters Everlong (accoustic)?

67 replies

Latest activity by *Mini*, 17 of July of 2014 at 21:55
  • InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Sweet Child O'Mine, maybe? I love Everlong, but is it a bit sad for a wedding dance...?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

We had Hotel Yorba by The White Stripes.

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

We're having Adieu by Enter Shikari.

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

We're having The Reason by Hooberstank. Our second choice was Times Like These (Foo Fighters). Our whole day is rock based!

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

I would love to have Freak Scene by Dinosaur Jr but it's not very granny friendly. Or Guiding Star by Teenage Fanclub is AMAZING but it was 'our song' with my ex. ? Or how about Today by Smashing Pumpkins, or Gigantic by the Pixies? I think Everlong is quite a common/popular choice.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

'Today' was my brother and SIL's first dance! I suspect we'll end up going with something poppy, when we eventually get round to having a reception.

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    meandmrjones81 ·
    • Hide content

We are having This is for lovers by Wolfman and Pete Doherty, i really would of liked Amy Winehouse Me and Mr Jones, but cannot find a a non swearing version.

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

H2B and I were having a giggle at contemplating the idea of having 'Feeling good' by Muse, but the way the song has been covered makes me think of quite a theatrical first dance, of which H2B wasn't sure of hahaha! The beauty of rock songs is that there is a high chance of an acoustic version being out there, so a lot more choice!

He went to a wedding a few months ago where the couple danced to Everlong by Foo Fighters, and he said it was really nice.

How about Sex is on Fire by Kings of Leon? Pahahahaah!!!!!!!

• mustard_mitt
    Beginner September 2015
    mustard_mitt ·
    • Hide content

What about 'My Hero' by Foo Fighters?

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

My Hero is about Kurt Cobain, isn't it? That seems an odd one to choose for me. Or am I reading too much into song lyrics? Do other people worry about the meanings/implications?

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lolz. We should totally have a 'most inappropriate wedding songs' thread.

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

hahaha I bet there are hundreds of songs that are inappropriate!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Well, all breakup songs to start with! But people still have them. I heard recently of someone who had Skinny Love by Bon Iver, that's a breakup song.

• M
    Beginner June 2014
    metal_gear_panda ·
    • Hide content

We are having When You Love A Woman by Journey, it's a bit older rock but the H2b loved it and Journey is one of my dads favourite bands so it goes in well. We are also having Nothing Else Matters by Metallica for signing the register. Smiley smile

• mustard_mitt
    Beginner September 2015
    mustard_mitt ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I didn't think of that to be honest, just that I really personally like the song. I didn't know it was about Kurt Cobain....!

• NorthSouthGirl
    Beginner November 2014
    NorthSouthGirl ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it matters if something is usually classes as a 'break up' song or 'rock' song etc as long as it means something ton you and your H2B. One friend of mine had 'Good Riddance' by Greenday and the only reason that was a bit weird was because it was played at anotehr friends funeral - but it was only weird for me not for them.... lol We're having 'Everyday' by Slade. We spent 5 years living 213 miles apart and the lines 'everyday while i'm away, i'm thinking of you' and 'one little wave to say you'll behave' reminds us both of every time we'd have to see the otehr off on their train journey home *soppy moment*

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

Ten Storey Love Song by Stone Roses? I wanted this but it's more my song than 'our' song, we're yet to decide.

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    HundredMonkeys ·
    • Hide content

We're having Oasis - Live Forever. We are massive (slightly obsessed) fans and it fits us perfectly. I chose it and OH agreed, he chosen the second one which will be Echo and the Bunnymen - Killing Moon, he loves it.

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

Not fully decided but current fave is perfect day by Lou reed.

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

Not having a first dance this time but the first time round I had 'Just Watch The Fireworks' by Jimmy Eat World.

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

HMM me and OH learnt to dance to feeling good! It actually works very well as a slow dance and can be very 'saucy' Smiley winking lol.

As long as you can dance to it (and remember it can be any type of dance!!) I think it works :-)

Were learning to swing dance as we're having Happy by Pharrell Williams Smiley laugh

• sweetlikechocolate
    Dedicated May 2016
    sweetlikechocolate ·
    • Hide content

We are having ho hey by lumineers as did not want a traditional slow song. I am walking down the aisle to coldplays fix you, signing the register to the Killers read my mind and then walking out to Tina Turner lets stay together so a real mix.

• L
    Beginner March 2015
    leastone ·
    • Hide content

What about "Baby i'm yours" by Arctic Monkeys x

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha cool, if its possible it may very well be a contender! We dont want it to be too saucy though... Haha! I love your song choice, I can imagine that will be fun to do, and your guests will be itching to join you on the dancefloor!! :-)

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    SunnyOrangeConfetti79 ·
    • Hide content

How about You Do Something to Me by Paul Weller? Was first dance at my first wedding, otherwise I might have picked it this time round! Smiley laugh

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

That's one of those where the lyrics aren't really suited to a wedding, isn't it?

You do something to me
    Something deep inside
    I'm hanging on the wire
    For love I'll never find

You do something wonderful
    Then chase it all away
    Mixing my emotions
    That throws me back again

Hanging on the wire, yeah
    Said I'm waiting for the change
    I'm dancing through the fire
    Just to catch a flame, an' feel real again

You do something to me
    Somewhere deep inside
    Hoping to get close to
    A peace I cannot find

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    SunnyOrangeConfetti79 ·
    • Hide content

Our exit songs has lyrics about slicing up eyeballs, so maybe i'm not the best person to pick wedding songs!

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

You're having The Pixies? ?

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

Another thought for the OP - how about 'Baby, I Love You' by The Ramones?

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    SunnyOrangeConfetti79 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

haha yeah it's one of our favourite songs - love the intro! I did suggest to OH that we should maybe consider an instrumental version but he insisted on the original and I'm ok with that - not sure what my mum will think, but hey ho!

• HettyPearl
    Beginner July 2015
    HettyPearl ·
    • Hide content

We're going for some old school rock, our song will be Have You Ever Needed Someone So Bad by Def Leppard.

A bit cheesy I know, but we bonded over Def Leppard (DF commented on my t-shirt while at university), so it has meaning!

• mooshy
    Beginner April 2014
    mooshy ·
    • Hide content

I walked up the aisle to Everlong (acoustic version) so I obviously don't agree with it being too melancholy for a wedding ?. We had My Hero for our first dance, it might be about Kurt Cobain but it's an awesome song and it means something to us.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics