Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner November 2014

First Dance... then what should happen?

rach_S_, 2 of May of 2014 at 19:13 Posted on Planning 0 24

Hi There,

After our first dance, should it then be Father of the bride and bride, then what??

Bit confused :-S

thank you!

24 replies

Latest activity by Melancholie, 7 of May of 2014 at 19:07
  • Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

No-- just everyone else join you both, as the music changes to something that will get them all on

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

According to one etiquette guide:

The first dance is lead by the new couple. According to convention, the bride’s father cuts in during this dance and in return the Groom asks the bride’s mother to dance. The bride’s father then cuts back in and the groom returns to dancing with his new partner until the end of the song.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

We got everyone to join in halfway through our first dance and everyone just carried on dancing!

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sounds American to me, never seen that, bit of a faf, just you and other half and job done ?

Or what J9 said if you dont want to be out there for a whole song

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

? Really? Ooooohhhh! Is this defo for the UK?

x

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

It seems so:

https://www.slaters.co.uk/wedding-suits

But at the end of the day it's like all things, you should do what suits you. Personally I like everyone joining in as the first dance draws to a close and then get the party started whoop whoop Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrslizziew2be ·
    • Hide content

We are havin our first dance uninterrupted the. Once that's done we're having our father daughter dance. Straight after that the dj will announce a mother son dance, not that my other half knows. His mum aske if they would dance and he shot it down and I could see she wanted to cry, so I spoke to her in private and said we'll set one up she just needs to give me a song. His problem is he hates dancing but once he's got a few drinks in him he loves being centre of attention an he will love it I'm sure!

After that the dj will announce the dance floor open and if no one gets up I'll be dragging them up!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

You stipulate a song to the dj that will get everyone up and moving and then you party the night away. No need to regulate everything in life.

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

We're having our slushy, shuffle-round-the-floor first dance followed by Bohemian Rhapsody which is my mother/children dance followed by just get on with it - get on the damn dance floor everyone!

It may not be etiquette - but it works for us ?

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content

Like Bill, in all the years I have been photographing weddings I have never seen the it done like that before?

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

My dad and h2b's parents are sadly no longer with us so after our first dance we plan on having a cheesy family dance with the kids (aged 19 and 20 at that time! ) and then hopefully that will lead every one else on the dancefloor. Don't know what that dance will be to but something a bit corny and routiney!! Greece megamix or the like....

• MrsCWB
    Beginner October 2014
    MrsCWB ·
    • Hide content

I never even thought of this! We will be having a first dance, we've even chosen the song, but I guess that then, everyone will come on the dance floor. My Dad won't be there and H2B's Mum passed away a long time ago. I can't see my brother (who is giving me away) doing any kind of dancing.

x

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Tenuous link time...

sorry, not being pedantic or taking the proverbial, but this really got me thinking. I'm assuming you meant Grease as the movie rather than Greece the country, which made me think of Zorba the Greek, which I heard on the radio the other day, which also then made me latch onto this as in Greece the country again and wondered what a shame we don't have a national dance like they do in Greece that everyone can do and join in on at an apt time. I love this idea. Have I got time to change my wedding to a Greek theme lol and tell everyone they need to learn Greek dancing lol. Xx

• M.Y.Wedding Photography
    M.Y.Wedding Photography ·
    • Hide content

There are no strict rules and I absolutely agree with Pammy it’s your wedding, your Big Day and you should do what suits you. I personally think that father and daughter dance is really sweet tradition and gives to the father of the Bride attention he deserves. Here is example of emotional moment of Bride and the Father dance at London Wedding:

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

My dad wouldn't dance if you paid him Smiley smile plus he has osteomylitis and usually walks with a stick these days, so I think dancing is out of the question. I figured we'll just have an upbeat dancey song so lots of people will get up on the dancefloor!

• JSuitsVox
    JSuitsVox ·
    • Hide content

First Dance into band live set!

Then fuil dancefloor for the next three hours.

Thats what usually happens isnt it?!

Smiley laugh

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha, I knew it looked wrong when I typed it but couldn't work out why!! In my defence it was early this morning and my coffee hadn't kicked in......!!

But actually.....Zorba the Greek....pass me some plates to smash, this could be the answer!!!

• rachd03
    Beginner May 2014
    rachd03 ·
    • Hide content

This may seem a bit odd but we are having the father/daughter dance first followed by the first dance. Reason is me and my dad are doing a waltz do cant exactly slot it in without ruining the flow of the night. Plus i like the idea of my OH taking over from my dad after our dance like the theme of the day. Then towards the end of the first dance we are having the bridal party join us then will play 'Happy' by Pharrell to get the dancefloor going. I guess its just best to do what works for u x

• MrsCWB
    Beginner October 2014
    MrsCWB ·
    • Hide content

This thread really made me think! I can't have a father daughter dance as my Dad isn't coming for a variety of reasons. My brother is walking me down the aisle, but there's no way he will dance with me. I spoke to my Mum because I was a little sad about it when I realised. She suggested a whole host of family members, but no one was right. I felt really rubbish then. I mentioned it to H2B, and he came up with the perfect solution! I am going to have a father-in-law daughter dance! H2B has asked his Dad if he will do that special dance with me and he agreed! I'm chuffed to bits! H2B is awesome lol.

x

• SecretlyEloped
    Beginner May 2014
    SecretlyEloped ·
    • Hide content

I have never been to a wedding with a father/daughter dance - and I would find it a little odd personally. In my experience - it's first dance then everyone up to boogie!!

• M
    Beginner December 2015
    MrsW2b2016 ·
    • Hide content

We're planning on having our first dance and then I want to dance with my dad.....then full on dancing will commence!!! xxx

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

Debretts suggests that after the first dance the rest of the wedding party should join you - MoB with FoG, MoG with FoB and chief bridesmaid with best man.

Whilst I wouldn't necessarily suggest one "must" do this (sometime Debretts is just a little bit stuffy, although ever so helpful if you're trying to write a letter to Professor Sir Dooberry Whatsit and wife and don't know what to call them!), I think having the whole bridal party primed and ready to come on halfway through or for the second dance, possibly dragging up people they are stood/ sat next to as opposed to in the formal way suggested above, will help to make it clear that the dance floor is open.

And as previous posters have suggested, a feel-good, upbeat and/or cheesy number is likely to get others to the dance floor pretty sharpish anyway.

Or, if you're really worried about it and are having a DJ or band, get them to announce that they want everyone to come and join the happy couple and dance the night away!

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

No father/daughter dance here. My Dad passed away 11 days after my first wedding back in 2008. He was in a wheelchair at that one so I didn't get to dance with him then either. We may not even have a first dance. We're not having a very traditional day so we may just dispense with that entirely.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics