Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner November 2009

first dance? what style of dance?

spursbabe, 31 of August of 2009 at 08:27 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hi all,

Hope wedding plans are all going well, only two months to go for me now, well excited.

me and my H2B had dance lessons a while back and got a routine ready for first dance, nothing crazy, we were learning the vienese waltz, which if you know ballroom you will know its extreemly complicated!!! over time we have decided we're just not good enough to pull off this dance (it was the only one that fitted with our song choice).

however recently we have changed our first dance song, and wondered if anyone could help us with what style of dance will fit with it and then we'll try and learn a few steps off youtube, coz we've seriously run out of money and can't afford anymore dance lesson (really hoping a regular waltz will fit as i know this already).

anyway the song is 'Romeo and juliet' by Dire Straits.

thanks everyone,

Mrs Brinkley 2B

?

4 replies

Latest activity by Jasper, 1 of December of 2022 at 07:27
  • B
    Brian Parkes LSWPP (HIB) ·
    • Hide content

Hello Mrs Brinkley 2B,

I think the problem your probaby having with Vienese Waltz is the speed of it, it isn't that complicated step wise as it's just the same 6 steps over and over again unless you do the fleckles and even that only adds a few more, it is however very fast, particularly if you not a 'dancer' and that's probably why you are finding it difficult, it's not the easiest thing to master.

The new song you have chosen is a Rumba and a slow one at that, it's the perfect dance for a beginner and most appropriate as the rumba is known as the dance of love. You can also put together a fairy simple routine that isn't too mobile and you can manage in your dress. it's on a 4 count, but the one is actually a pause (or change of weight) so basics consist of 3 steps, 1 set forward, 1 set back.

You may have to look these up on youtube or whatever but something like 4 bars of basic in closed hold position, open out to four 'new yorkers' (two each side) then either both do a 'spot turn' or have him turn you under his arm (that's still a spot turn for you, a basic going backwards for him) and then either link up and repeat or if you think you can learn it on time, a 'hockey stick' and then link back up and repeat.

Rumba was always my favourite dance when we used to compete, but dancing is how me and mrs Parkes is met, we used to compete together before we got together as a couple, happy days! We''ve gotten the little one into latin and ballroom classes now now she's 3...not that we are push parents or anything!

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

Hi

A waltz needs to be in 3/4 time, Romeo and juliet is 4/4 so doesn't quite fit (I've just tried it!) Rhumba style steps fits perfectly. For ideas have a look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wUan7mWORE and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HSFI-0u-Qk

Hope that helps.

• Mel B
    Beginner
    Mel B ·
    • Hide content

Not a clue about dance steps.....but damn excellent song choice!!

xx

• S
    Beginner November 2009
    spursbabe ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all so much, you been so helpful.

glad to hear we've chosen a good song with an appropriate dance to match, i'm really excited now, can't wait to look it up and get dancing.

will keep you all posted on how we get on.

x x x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics