Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Steelgoddess
Beginner June 2010

First drink for free question...

Steelgoddess, 21 January, 2010 at 09:00 Posted on Planning 0 9

Just wodered if anyone had any ideas. My Dad has suggested he would like to buy the evening guests their first drink for free, however I do NOT want to set up a tab (We did this at my sons 1st birthday and whilst some people only had 1 or two drinks others took the mick a bit and kept going up until the money ran out!) So i want to make it fair...

Was thinking about designing a voucher that says they are entitled to 1 drink (Excludes doubles and champagne) do you think this would be ok? Or has someone done it another way,,,

9 replies

Latest activity by MsJackson78, 21 January, 2010 at 17:45
  • mrsmould-to-be
    Beginner March 2011
    mrsmould-to-be ·
    • Hide content

Ive seen this done at a few weddings and its worked out well!!

just clearly state on them what it can get i.e soft drink, tap beer house wine or state whats excluded i.e spirits, bottled drinks and champagne!

you could create them around your wedding theme- a wonderful idea xx

• BoroKate
    Beginner September 2010
    BoroKate ·
    • Hide content

Me and OH have just been having the exact same conversation, or should that be argument?

We are thinking of giving a voucher rather than putting wine on the tables as neither of our families are big wine drinkers so we would rather get them a drink they will enjoy.

• B
    Beginner July 2010
    brideseekingblush ·
    • Hide content

We are discussing this too as we have some guests just coming to the evening. I wondered about a voucher but thought that might look a bit odd - like an event or something. Although I do like the idea of making it around the theme.

I actually wondered about a toast when the evening guests arrive and get them to bring a glass of sparkling wine round??

It's difficult isn't it?

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

The last wedding I went to they gave out glass nuggets as a token as people arrived for a free drink (the bar staff were versed on what was and wasn't 'allowed' as a free drink). But I have also seen tokens or little cards sent out with the invitations.

Something like a voucher included in the invitation wouldn't be difficult to organise.

• debs1701
    Beginner
    debs1701 ·
    • Hide content

I think it's a very good idea, it just means people won't take your dad's good will gesture for granted, are you thinking about putting them into your invites?, you might get a higher vlume of acceptances than normal ?

• Steelgoddess
    Beginner June 2010
    Steelgoddess ·
    • Hide content

Thanks lovelies!!!

Ok i'll design that up now then, hmmm when you ladies say theme do you mean colour??

• mrsmould-to-be
    Beginner March 2011
    mrsmould-to-be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

f it was me i would have Yellow cards with a silver bullterfly on it (to match my invites) this way it ties in with my theme of yellow... i know some ladies are having football themes etc so they could incorporate that other ways etc

defo got me thinking on putting them in the invites, only thing being is that if people forget them!

hmmm...i may designate a bridesmaid on the night to have the vouchers/tickets, then will announce to people to go see her for them or something lol xx

• Z
    Beginner September 2010
    zepsgal ·
    • Hide content

We are doing this too, and Ive seen fab wristbands that I think we will buy for guests. http://www.ticketalternative.co.uk/tyvek_wristbands.htm Not to everyones tastes, but we are big music fans, so we have a collection of used wristbands from festivals etc, so we love them!

Two to each guest, they need to hand them over to get a drink!

• J
    jj74 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't think this would work, you will find that your evening guests can arrive up to an hour apart! Giving all your guests a glass of sparkling wine would work out quite expensive and tbh quite a few guests will just put it down after 1 sip. They would rather buy their own beer or spirits!

• MsJackson78
    Beginner March 2010
    MsJackson78 ·
    • Hide content

I went to a wedding before where we were given a raffle ticket each, it came in our invite, it allowed everyone to have one free drink. Depending on where you are having your reception you can advise bar staff that this means anything up to a double as ppl usually will take the pee if they think they can get away with it! I have a cousin who would have no trouble ordering a bottle of vodka as his one drink!!! Family eh?!!!

altho raffle ticket is easier to organise not as pleasing on the eye as a nice little had made token.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics