Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner July 2013

First fitting disaster.......the dress is too tight - can a dress be let out?

helzbelz200, 1 of June of 2013 at 20:58 Posted on Planning 0 7

First dress fitting today, wedding is in 6 weeks.

i went for a soft mermaid style so tight round the hips and then flares out which was measured for me in Oct. I tried it on today for first time and it's soooo tight round the hips and bum, its very uncomfortable and pulls in a ugly way and I can hardly move.

The seamstress says that it can be taken out and it will be no problem to sort it. However it's left me pretty much mortified... I just felt fat and uncomfortable so needless to say I haven't really fallen in love with the dress because it didn't make me feel great.I still like the actual style, but not it on me at the moment. I must have gained weight, also don't think it helps I'm due on so might be a bit bloated too.

I'm waiting for them to order an underskirt so it hasn't been fitted yet. I'm now considering a starvation diet. Has anyone else had this experience....can a dress be let out?

So upset :-(

7 replies

Latest activity by goldpants, 3 of June of 2013 at 19:13
  • Mrs Monkey
    Beginner July 2013
    Mrs Monkey ·
    • Hide content

Don't worry the dress can be let out.

But please please please don't do a starvation diet. It will do you no good at all and you're more likely to end up bigger once you start eating properly again. You might not have gained weight - did they get the measurements right? If your normal clothes still fit properly then it's probably down to their mistake. But this is why you have fittings - to get it to fit Smiley smile

I'm sure you will love it again once it fits properly - it just means having to wait until your next fitting. I hope you feel better about it soon Smiley smile

• H
    Beginner July 2013
    helzbelz200 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your response. You are right starvation diet is not going to help, all I'm going to do is cut down on the chocolate and cakes.

All my clothes do fit the same so I think they should've originally ordered me a size bigger. I just thought there was no way they could ever let a dress out... but seems like they can!

• Mrs Monkey
    Beginner July 2013
    Mrs Monkey ·
    • Hide content

Yes - they make them with extra material Smiley smile

I'm going to be wearing 'super suck in underwear' - from my waist down to my knees!!! It will just help give me a bit more room and a smoother figure. Might be worth looking into.

• H
    Beginner July 2013
    helzbelz200 ·
    • Hide content

Ohhhh spanks - of course... right straight down shop now to sort some out. Also thinking about Bikram yoga (doing yoga n 36 degree heat) its meant to make you lose few inches in sweat!! Feeling bit more positive today thanks

• Skinnyrock
    Dedicated July 2023 Suffolk
    Skinnyrock ·
    • Hide content

I bought a sample dress and it was a size smaller than i am and the people in the shop told me that they will be able to let it out no problem. I have since lost 10lbs so i'm hoping that that will go a little way to making it fit a bit better and making me feel more confident on the day Smiley smile

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

I've been assured a dress can be let out! My own one I measured perfectly for the bust and hips (bust needs taken in VERY slightly) but was between sizes on the waist. I didn't want to go up a size since the dress was already a size bigger than I usually wear and I'm incredibly vain. I am slowly losing a few pounds but the lady in the shop said they will be able to let the waist out if I don't lose anything.

• H
    Beginner July 2013
    helzbelz200 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your reassurance just never realised a dress can be taken out?! Apparently up to 3 sizes?! Just never ever thought my dress would be too tight.. it completely shocked me. I'm annoyed with myself for being vein too - should;ve asked them to order the size up - oh well

• goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content

I was told when i bought my dress it is 0.5 inch too small on the hips but can be taken out if too tight for fitting in dec. now doing everything in my power to make sure that's not the case!!

You've said yourself you've probably not been eating all the right things. You'll be surprised how much consciously eating the right things and upping exercise will change your body in just six weeks. Plenty of time to sort it if need be.

Sometimes it takes something mortifying to motivate you! Go for it! x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics