Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

D
Beginner October 2013

First visit to the wedding dress shop!

Debs12xx, 5 October, 2012 at 16:00 Posted on Planning 0 23

Well, I nervously arrived (late) for my first appointment at a wedding dress shop this morning. I looked through all the dresses, and she pointed a few out one of which was a definite no no and I said I didn't want anything like that either. I tried on about 6 dresses, liked 2, thought they were nice, hated the others and then I tried on a couple more which I also didn't like. I thought wow I am glad I started looking sooner rather than later as everything I thought I'd like I didn't. Then she said again about this one dress she mentioned in the first place so I decided it couldn't look any worse than the others I didn't like. Well I tried it on and I LOVE it. Please can you give me your honest opinions though. I went on my own as I don't want my friends or families opinions influencing me before I have even decided for myself what style suits me.

Here it is from the front- when she pulled it in and held it there my hips didn't look so big. This was 2 sizes too big for me! She had to put these padded cushion things down the back of the dress lol

Here it is from the back. The tattoo will hopefully cover! x

What's your honest opinions? Does it make me look bottom heavy? She said they can sew some padded cups in the tip and I will also wear a double gel bra and some fillets LOL

23 replies

Latest activity by tulleprincess, 13 November, 2012 at 08:41
  • D
    Beginner October 2013
    Debs12xx ·
    • Hide content

TOP* not tip!

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I love the sweetheart neckline & the way the dress sweeps around the waist making it look small. I'm bias as my dress was very similar.

I personally dont like the gathered, ruched bits on the front or back. I know its padded out & far too big, but just think it adds bulk to the hips & bum.

Sorry, but think a dress that flowed down is much more flattering. Even having say a diamante thing on the hip where the fabric gathers would be attractive & add interest to the dress. For me though, the ruched bits make me wonder if those bits are supposed to be there & just dont look right. I prefer the way this dress flows all the way down, rather than the eye stopping at the ruching.

By the way, you are brave going to a wedding shop on your own & dont be disheartened, its only the 1st day.

• sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content

I like to gathering on the front but agree that the back is less than flattering.

Bear in mind this is your first shop, perhaps go to a few others and take 1 other person who will be honest with you. If you keep thinking about this one then you should do whatever you like!

• H
    Beginner July 2013
    HAG13 ·
    • Hide content

Ahh. See I like the bum gathering! It draws attention and looks lovely!!

• D
    Beginner October 2013
    Debs12xx ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the replies so far!

I really liked the ruching and the gathering on the bum, I think it hides bums as opposed to draws attention lol

I also tried on 'Lyndsey' by Mori Lee which was really nice but I didn't love it and 'Lizzie' also by Mori Lee again it was lovely but once they were both on they didn't feel special enough if that makes sense. I tried on 'Leah' too but it was just nice, not lovely.

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I actually think this is lovely, and doesn't make you look bottom heavy...it gives you a good womanly shape.

And I don't think there's any need for chicken fillets on your wedding day - imagine them plopping out of the dress!

• H
    Beginner July 2013
    HAG13 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I didn't mean draws attention as in this is my bum here but more so look at this and not my bum. As with the others, a lovely shape!

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

I like it, and like it a lot more than the more "usual" dress posted in reply afterwards. for me the ruching adds interest and detracts from any hips issues. I think you would need sewn in cups or a push up bra though (hey, no offence, I used one in my dress as well!) and a good statement necklace so the top and bottom balance out. Yes, really like it, it's nicely different from the satin a-line things that personally I think are vile.

By the way, there are many, many of us here who had our dress chosen by the shop consultants. I hated mine when they showed me on the hanger and didn't want to try it on. Sometimes these ladies know us better than we know ourselves though!

• D
    Beginner October 2013
    Debs12xx ·
    • Hide content

I thought she was off her head suggesting it to me more than once, it looked vile on the hanger lol

I am only a double A cup!!! I am in dire need of a boob job hahaha, but I will definitely be using a decent push up gel bra and the sewn in cups at the very least!

I love this dress and am tempted to go back for another try and put my deposit down. I really don't want to try on any other dresses, this one has kind of stolen my heart, I just don't want to look fat in it lol

• D
    Beginner October 2013
    Debs12xx ·
    • Hide content

Ah thank you x

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Fat?! Dear God woman, you are anything but fat! Especially in the rear view. I do think only slim brides can get away with that semi mermaid style, but you defintely can. No harm in trying on a few more dresses in other places though, but if you still think about this one, then maybe it will be the one!

• D
    Beginner October 2013
    Debs12xx ·
    • Hide content

I'm scared of loving too many dresses and then not being able to choose lol Having said that, today proved it isn't as easy to love just any dress like I assumed it would be! x

• D
    Beginner October 2013
    Debs12xx ·
    • Hide content

The lady in the shop was lovely, I didn't think she would let me take pics so didn't ask but she was the one that offered to take it for me!

I really LOVE Maggie dresses, I have seen one that I have had my eye on for ages but this shop doesn't stock Maggies dresses, apparently there's one close to here that does so she's not allowed? I wanted to ask where cos I can't think of another shop near me but that would have been rude lol I actually didn't think I liked the material either on the hanger (she described it as a metallic taffeta?) but it is such a different dress on and feels comfy too. That dress was way too big for me but she doesn't stock 6s or 8. I am a 6 - 8 in normal clothes, usually an 8 so she had to stuff a lot of padding down my back lol I loved it more when she pulled the hip material in, not to much when she let it go haha.

What dress did you go for? Why don't you like it? x

• D
    Beginner October 2013
    Debs12xx ·
    • Hide content

I keep getting error messages when I try and quote! x

• D
    Beginner October 2013
    Debs12xx ·
    • Hide content

LLB, I have just read your thread and looked at your dress. It's beautiful. What don't you like about it? x

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

I like it. The gathered bits are a bit odd, but in a good way. They're haphazard rather then gathering in a perfect swirl or something and I like that.

The pic from the back doesn't look like it need pulling in at all and gives you a fab shape. Tha foldy bits (rouching?) on the front is lovely. I like criss cross ones and the fact that it comes to a point at your waist makes it look tiny, although being a 6-8 I'm sure it would in any dress!!

It doesn't make you look bottom heavy at all. You probably think it does because you went in already thinking about needing chicken fillets.

• D
    Beginner October 2013
    Debs12xx ·
    • Hide content

Lol LLB I think I have my heart set on this one! I'm sure you will sell yours though it's beautiful ( I think you should wear it, it'd be lovely!) Mine is an Ellis dress and I can't find it online anywhere!

Tortise, thank you. I like that it doesn't seem to have a pattern or symmetry to it too, which surprises me because I am a bit OCD about things having to be the same, if I itch my face one side I have to scratch the other side to make my face feel even LOL

It does need pulling in a bit to fit me better though, if I could have pulled it in while she took the picture I would have to show the difference it makes, I'd love to see it in my own size before I actually ordered it! Have you chosen your dress yet? I am slowly making my way through the threads to see where everyoe is at with their planning x

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I do this!!!

It is always easier when the dress is in your size. Luckily mine was only a bit big, so was just laced up super tight. I have my dress hanging up in my seamstress's house Smiley smile it's Alfred Angelo - Ariel 210. The top is pretty similar to yours. I think there's a pic of me in it on the model vs real thread, but I had to delete it off the PC so OH didn't find it.

When are you getting married? You need a ticker Smiley smile

• D
    Beginner October 2013
    Debs12xx ·
    • Hide content

Wow Tortoise, I love that dress!

I have found my dress online with other people wearing it and they've got boobs, it's really putting me off now because I think no matter how much padding or fillets I use it won't look like them :/

We were thinking we'd get married in August but I really like the idea of an Autumn wedding purely to match my colour scheme so I think we are going to go for the 5th of October, this ties in nicely with Harvest at the church so the vicar said we can just use their flowers if we want hahaha.

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

Aw thanks Smiley smile

Be great to use the church flowers, saves you a few pennies.

• T
    Beginner May 2013
    tulleprincess ·
    • Hide content

Hi Debs, Just wanted to say you have an amazing figure and do not in any which way look fat!! you are a 6-8 for goodness sake, I would kiill for your figure!! plus you would topple over if you had big boobs!

And You dont look like you need gel bra or otherwise in the pics, you are in proportion Smiley smile

and the dress is lovely, just needs the confidence and you will pull it off Smiley smile xxxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics