Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner October 2016

Fish and chip van - is this rude?

LuxuriousGoldDecor496, 25 of January of 2016 at 11:39 Posted on Planning 0 15

We've hired a fish and chip van - suits our families and friends perfectly and we're not really having a 'wedding' just a big party at the local village hall a few days after we get married in october with food, drink and a disco, no speeches or sit down meals or first dance (we have also just said we're having a party - technically we are?)

We wanted to have a big table inside full of rolls and sauces, and extras like mushy peas and curry sauce that people can just go help themselves to after they've collected their fish and chips.

The guy charges a pound more for these per person if they want them, but is it rude to have them inside (at a much cheaper cost) and just get the fish and chips from him? Would you find this rude or are we paying him for a certain thing and anything extra we have is our business?

15 replies

Latest activity by MadamRed, 27 of January of 2016 at 14:48
  • Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Absolutely that in this scenario yes. But after all the faff in you supplying the sauces and then keeping them hot and then cleaning up the pots after, for the sake of a quid each you may be better off taking up the chippy on their offer, and then you could just supply the extras like tomato sauce, mayonnaise, lemon quarters if you want to be posh.?

And maybe also have your own salt and pepper station inside and that should speed the queue up at the van

• M
    Beginner May 2016
    MrsLBtoB ·
    • Hide content

I think pay the extra £1 then you havent got to worry about set up/clearing away etc. Obviously depends on your budget but by the time you pay for he extras yourself it probably wouldn't be too different?

• Mrslh2b
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrslh2b ·
    • Hide content

To make life easier I think I'd just pay the £1 per person as I can't imagine buying things yourself being much cheaper than that - plus you'll have to sort out heating things up and putting them out, whereas if you pay the extra £1 pp he can sort this out for you. If you do decide to provide your own I don't think it's rude at all!

• S
    Curious January 2021
    SunnyGoldConfetti509 ·
    • Hide content

Totally agree. Fish and chips are yummy

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content

Don't think it's rude at all.

I second the views of other posters though- how much money would you be saving doing it this way, compared to paying the extra pound per person? By the time you think about getting the big heaters to keep sauces warm, you might end up paying the same, then have extra faff.

• M
    Beginner May 2016
    MrsLBtoB ·
    • Hide content

Also (and not sure if this is something you'd need to think about) but if serving food yourself, are there not health and safety things to consider like how long the food is kept warm for, correct temperatures etc...?

Might be worth considering.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Not rude and super yummy but I agree pay the quid and save the faff. That way it's all hot and you can enjoy your party.

• NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

Love the idea of fish and chips - it's making me hungry!!!

Agree with the comments here - just wondering if you are doing a veggie option? What is the veggie alternative to fish and chips I wonder??

• T
    Beginner May 2016
    Tidal Wave ·
    • Hide content

Nothing wrong with fish and chips, but would really consider the extra £1. Means you get to leave, and not worry about trying to bring home 3kg of mushy peas and wonder how to use them, or give them as a doggy bags.

• KinkyBride
    Beginner March 2016
    KinkyBride ·
    • Hide content

I agree with everyone else. I'd rather get all my food in one place while it's hot and not have to queue twice. Plus it saves you a lot of hassle for probably very little cost saving in the end.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That would be chips?

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

I personally don't think its rude, we had paella and they did an amazing roast pepper salad but we put a green salad inside too mainly as it was £1.50 per person for green salad, ok not alot but when you add it up for 120 guests then it's nearly £200! It cost us £12 from costco for bags of salad which were put into bowls.

I think if you get rolls, ketchup, mushy peas etc for £1 extra per person then its probably reasonable but if its per item then I would look at doing it yourself.

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

Chippy butty?

im a veggie and you cant beat a chip butty, its the best food ever but make sure there something to go on it curry, garlic, bbq sauce or cheese or beens ?

there is a 'fad' at the minute ive seen at a lot of places for 'veggie' fish and chips (cheese fried in batter like fish) but I have no great urge to try it, ill stick to my chips

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Yes how about you do the ColD stuff and chip man does all the hot stuff? Ooo chip butty. Yum.

• L
    Beginner October 2016
    LuxuriousGoldDecor496 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone for your replies!

The £1 was per item per person, so if someone wanted curry sauce and mushy peas it would add £2 on - but I hadn't thought about how i was going to keep all the extras warm so it will probably just be easier to get them from him - going to go meet him on friday for a taste test (YUM!) but we've actually tried them before hahaha - who would turn up the offer for a free taste though? Smiley tongue

As for the veggie options, he's actually given us a load of different options, like cheese and onion fryits, veggie spring rolls, obviously fish and chips, jumbo sausage, chicken nuggets and a range of burgers and things like that, but will have to get people to rsvp with what they'd like so he can make sure he has enough of each item

It's 5.90 ph which we thought was more than reasonable, so i suppose even with the extra pound or two, it's still cheap right?

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

Just a note, and your supplier is probably already aware of it, but he'll need to make sure that the vegetarian option and chips aren't cooked in the same oil as the fish, sausages etc. It sounds really obvious, but you'd be surprised how many places don't know.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics