Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

BridalButterfly2012
Beginner June 2012

Flash of size 18+ brides in their dresses please

BridalButterfly2012, 8 January, 2012 at 18:32 Posted on Planning 0 37

Hi all ,

I am having a lil bit of a confidence melt down. I am currently a size 18 and hoping to get down to at least a size 14-16. I would love to see all those gorgeous 18+ birdes in their dresses and know how good you all look and exactly how lovely your dresses made you look and feel.

Thank you x

37 replies

Latest activity by sal.san, 10 January, 2012 at 16:16
  • leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

Im an 18 and this was my dress

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content

Hi leni-lw thank you for your reply. I love your dress and you look lovely. Where did you get your bolero from? I am getting married in June but want some kind of bolero to go with my dress.

x

• AllyMcBear
    Beginner June 2012
    AllyMcBear ·
    • Hide content

Dont have any photos of me in it yet - hopefully soon x

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

I got it from the bridal shop for £20 - and i loved wearing it.. it kinda finished my dress off- it doesnt have a name tag in the jacket so i cant tell you who made it sorry.. all i know it was originally a size 26 that was altered to my size 18

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content

Gosh that was a bargain from a bridal shop wasn't it. Well done you. I will have a look in my bridal shop when i go for my first fitting as i can't remember what they had there.

• charliebird7
    Beginner March 2012
    charliebird7 ·
    • Hide content

This is me, i'm an 18.

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content

Your dress is a lil similar to the one i have chose only mine doesn't have straps on it. looks really good on you.

Mine is Phil collins, I don't have any pics yet as i never took pics when trying them all on and i just ordered it. Waiting for 1st fitting.

• quackers
    Beginner August 2013
    quackers ·
    • Hide content

I love this dress you look fab in it! do you mind me asking the designer?? xx

• xMissyLoux
    Beginner September 2012
    xMissyLoux ·
    • Hide content

I'll put some pics up of me soon! I don't have me in my actual dress yet but do have me in some of the other dresses I tried on, will get one of my actual dress at my fitting though not for about another 5 months Smiley sad

Just a quick question when you ladies have put your sizes is that your ACTUAL 'high street' size or the size of your dress, cos unless it's just me my dress is 1-2 sizes bigger than I buy my every day clothes in from the high street!

Finally love your dress Mrs Rawe, you look FAB in it!!

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content

Wow tara you look gorgeous in that dress. I love the way it puffs out at the bottom to give it lots of volume.

Missy lou- I agree with your question and it is exactly why i think i am feeling a lil low as i am a size 18 but my dress size quoted was a 20-22 and it made me feel so much bigger than i actually am. The woman in the shop made me feel a bit better by saying that the measurements are bog standard and they go on your biggest measurement and give you your dress size then it is taken in once tried on. My issue was i am currently loosing weight but she told me not to chance getting it that much smaller as the sizes can be taken in but not out unless a panel is added, i had no choice in getting the bigger size going by this theory.

If i look half as good as all these girls then i will be ok.

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content

Jules n mark you look stunning in that dress- the shape is exactly the same as mine. You will look so lovely on your day. You don't look a size 18.

• J
    Beginner April 2012
    Jules'n'Mark ·
    • Hide content

Agh I deleted it! Have only seen it on my phone as a picture, but when I put it on here, i looked bad in it! And you think you have major dress wobbles!

Oh to be a size 12! ☹️

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content

Behave you look fab in it. I am just self conscious always have been and even more so for the biggest day in my life. I am trying to do everything in my might i can about it i.e by loosing weight and paying for a good dress so hopefully it will all work out.

• Peaseblossom
    Beginner March 2013
    Peaseblossom ·
    • Hide content

You all look stunning!

My dress is being made, I hope it looks ok, I am very nervous. I have gone for sleeves as I HATE my arms so much, they have the same texture of my tubby cat's belly. ☹️?

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I feel the same way. I don't think my arms are that bad i have just always hated them so i was going to get a dress with sleeves but fell in love with the dress i have ordered when i tried it on. I am going to get a bolero i think.

• Peaseblossom
    Beginner March 2013
    Peaseblossom ·
    • Hide content

My sleeves are sheer organza which matches my train. The rest is pale silver silk dupion.

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content

Sounds really pretty- that's waht i want organza so it doesn't take away from the sparkles on my dress but covers my arms.

I am watching ebay with a very close eye to see if i can find one i like. There is some lace ones i like but i'm not sure if they will go with my dress as it is satin and organza. With crystals and diamantes on the bodice. No lace on the dress at all.

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

Sorry i don't have one but i've been assured despite being a size 20/22 and my dress being a 24 i look way smaller in it due to its crafty corsetry! you'll be the same.

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Voixj83- Thanks for your reply. If i am honest the lady in the shop and my sister have both said i look fine and don't need a bolero but because it is a part i for some reason have always hated then i don't want to regret not getting one and hating my photo's as a result so i think i will buy a cheaper one just in case.

I am going to up my toning band exercise's and see how i get on.

• xMissyLoux
    Beginner September 2012
    xMissyLoux ·
    • Hide content

Hey Butterfly, don’t let this worry you too much, how did you feel when you tried the ‘one’ on? (I am right in thinking you’ve bought your dress yes?)

I put my dress on and felt wonderful in it and it wouldn’t have worried me if the label was a size 30 as it’s only a number, I know I’m only an 18 and I felt fab!

I’d like to lose weight before the wedding too but also know what I’m like so didn’t chance a smaller size for the same reasons, the dress pulls in 2 odd sizes anyway and can also be taken in!

I’m sure you look absolutely gorgeous in your dress! Does it have a corset back? I thought this was wonderful and what helped made me feel great!

As for the arms, I felt the same, was adamant I wanted a bolero bcos my arms are the bit I think if fully on show seem to make me look fat or fatter lol but when I tried dresses on they looked so fab a bolero would have spoiled them (IMO now and mum’s) so I’ve not gone for one, I do however have a 72” veil which can shower over my arms and worked brilliantly as a little cover up and only enhanced the dress so maybe this is an option too?

• quackers
    Beginner August 2013
    quackers ·
    • Hide content

You look stunning!! xx

• Lola-Belle
    Beginner April 2013
    Lola-Belle ·
    • Hide content

Hi ,

Im an 18 at the moment , however got my diet and personal trainer all sorted this week so hopefully not for much longer ! It got to me when all of the sample dresses bar one or two were in small sizes so they were saying "what do you think of this one" and Id be thinking "Dont really know as im now concentrating on how much of a fat heffer I am that I can get any of these fassened up at the back !!!

Not picked my dress yet but here are some of the front runners !!

xxxx

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

Lola-Belle, the first one is absolutely stunning!!!

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree, you look beautiful in it and it really suits you!

• Lola-Belle
    Beginner April 2013
    Lola-Belle ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies!! This is still my mum and MOH's fave! I do love it but it doesnt quite have the train I was after from memory. Going back in a few weeks to retry though Smiley smile Also it was a size too small which I think gave the Babalons a bit too much lift ! haa haa xx

• quackers
    Beginner August 2013
    quackers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You looked amazing in all of them but my fave is the 1st or 3rd lol couldn't pick between them!!

• C
    Beginner September 2012
    Celtic B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That was exactly my worry. I have spent years riding horses and working on yards and have ended up with very muscley arms which I hate. So I was looking for something with sleeves. But have gone for a strapless with a veil as it covers my arms a little and they dont look half as bad as I was expecting!!!!

• mummymrs2b
    Beginner April 2013
    mummymrs2b ·
    • Hide content

Lola belle love the 1st and 3rd ones. X sme lovely dresses in here x

• CraigNorwood
    CraigNorwood ·
    • Hide content

Some great photographs and great dresses, you all look fantastic

• xMissyLoux
    Beginner September 2012
    xMissyLoux ·
    • Hide content

Here's me in a dress as promised, this was my 2nd choice dress!

• J
    Beginner April 2012
    Jules'n'Mark ·
    • Hide content

Some gorgeous dresses here!

• 50's pin up bride
    Beginner July 2012
    50's pin up bride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You have my sympathies - I've been riding for 20 years and have the nightmare 'riders thighs' - ie ENORMOUS and telling me it's all muscle doesn't make me feel any better when I can't get trousers over them!

You all look fabulous ladies ? I'm currently a size 18 (high street) but having ordered my dress in a size 16 (ie high street 14) am dieting and gyming furiously!! Looking at your pictures I'm starting to wish I hadn't bothered as I'd be happy at an 18 if I looked as stunning as you girls!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics