Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

winyard

Flashing disco lights!

winyard, 18 of January of 2012 at 04:15 Posted on Planning 0 16

One of the items mentioned in the "What you don't like" thread was that one person hated flashing coloured disco lights, and I wondered whether there are many on here that share that dislike?

How many of you that are booking a DJ for your wedding, would like to not have any flashing lights? or maybe just not flashing coloured lights?

I know of one extremely upmarket DJ in the USA that never uses such lighting at any of the weddings he performs at.

I use lighting but mostly because it seems most people want it, although I personally don't really like it. It seems to me that the people that most get excited about this sort of lighting are DJs ?

So, who would book a disco that didn't have dance floor lighting? or would request that a DJ didn't use any dance floor lighting?

16 replies

Latest activity by Xoom, 28 of July of 2022 at 15:58
  • S
    Beginner May 2013
    sgreen ·
    • Hide content

I don't mind lighting, but I have to say that I really dislike the lighting setups many DJs use, just becuase its so cheesy.

They all seem to have the same setup with those light boxes with divided segments in, and use the same setup weather its at a kids party, 60th birthday or a wedding.

Sorry, but I really don't want a setup thats the same as I see at every kids party. This was a factor that made me go for a band.

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

From a personal perspective, I don't like them.

I'd make a point of ensuring that there was none at my wedding- especially those tiny little dotted coloured lights! Grrr.

From a photographers perspective, those little dotted ones are the bane of my life. They ruin photos (IMO) and add alot of additional work removing them from awkward places in photos. We hand edit each photo individually and little things like that can be a nightmare.

Afterall, no one wants a dress with green and red spots all over it, nor does the bride tend to want a big red spot slap bang in the middle of her forehead.

• Jason Clark DJ
    Jason Clark DJ ·
    • Hide content

I'm loving this :-)

Most modern DJ set-ups won't have lightboxes, or dotty lights. The dotty lights were all the rate about 4 years ago (even I had them for a few months).

The lightboxes are now often fairly valuable - for our own Wedding, our DJ DID bring these (as we had a retro style set-up).

But, modern set-ups are normally more stylish, and a slow dance should have suitable lighting - so in my case I would have 2 moving spotlights, moving beams across the dancefloor.

For faster tracks, they do different things...

Most DJ websites have some indicaction of their set-up, and at least a feel if they are still stuck in the 70's or you'll get a set-up that meets what you need.

I've done parties with 2 floor mounted lights, and really its a matter of what the client wants.

ps.. still got the dotty lights in the loft if anyone wants to make an offer ?

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

What is relevant here is that the lighting for video will vary dramatically from that which looks ok in stills. Different medium, different approach.

Then again, there is also the personal taste perspective, which totally ignores stills and video.

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content

I dislike them allot, they can potentially ruin some otherwise brilliant photos, especially if your not relying so much on flash for exposure, as if the little flashing light covers the main subjects eye or similar, that's it, the photo is fit for the bin.

Ultimately there is a chance the B&G miss out on important memories, so that's why I'm against them...

Example

I got lucky with the below shot as the green spotlight light wasn't on the main subject...

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

To play devils advocate Rhys, is this our problem or something that we need to overcome? If the client likes the disco, don't we simply have to fit in and technically deal with the situation even if we lose a couple of good shots as a result?

BTW, I agree with your comment in principle.?

• S
    Beginner May 2013
    sgreen ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Personally I would think its something the photographer should and does deal with. I attend a number of fund raising balls, which often have a disco type arrangement. About half the time we have a professional photographer there, because we can often get the charity featured in various local magazines.

I'll admit that the photos my friends and me take are often spoiled by the lighting. People with green faces, or those dots others have mentioned. Or coloured flowery shapes! but the ones from the pro photographer are always stunning. I've always imagined he balances the light and waits for the right moment to press the button.
    Isn't that what the modern style of reportage is all about?

I wouldn't want my photographer ordering the DJ around to change his lighting.

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content

Firstly no one has said anything about ordering the DJ to change his lights, just that from a photographers perspective they can be horrible and ruin pictures especially the little dot's that don't add much imo anyway.

As for who should 'deal with it', ultimately the photographer has to of course, but a good DJ surely would want the best for his clients, and may consult others feedback on if they like them, or if there is possibly better setups, which is what I think this thread is about.

From the Op: "I know of one extremely upmarket DJ in the USA that never uses such lighting at any of the weddings he performs at."

There is probably a good reason for this, I dare say he has found his niche, and when he shows samples of his DJ setup to his 'upmarket' clients, his probably look better than others, at least to them as taste is subjective.

Also if you have a link, I would be interested in viewing a few samples of photographers work at the fundraiser ball, as there are a number of ways to 'deal with' the challenging lighting, but as usual there are pro's and con's.

• winyard
    winyard ·
    • Hide content

It's great getting the perspective of some other industry professionals, and it's understandable why many photographers don't like them. I've often turned off certain lighting for the first dance and usually chat with the photographer before the first dance about this.

I'd especially love to hear views from some brides on this and whether there are many that would book a disco that didn't have any dance floor lighting? or if they'd book a DJ and then ask them not to use any dance floor lighting?

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

The reality is that if you look at tv/theatre/music/concert lighting, it is very common that colours are used on the musicians. These are though structured lighting plots. When it comes to stills photography, looking at where the lighting source is, can help the photographer decide where the best position is and then use any lighting from the DJ to their advantage. Basically, if you get coloured spots on the face from the DJs lights, you are probably in the wrong position........well thats my belief.

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

What a great thread!

Unfortunately many people think DJs are all the same and offer the same thing....which is so far from the truth. I have an increasing number of brides that don't want flashing lights and a night club effect. Last year I had several weddings where the lighting was just gentle colour washing, minimal set up with no flashing lights....looked so sophisticated!

One thing to bear in mind is your seated guests. There's nothing more annoying than having lights flashing in your eyes while you're trying to have a conversation. If i use disco lighting, it is always directed at the dancefloor or ceiling, not round the entire room.

Like Tony, I confer with the tog and vog and agree the lighting for the first dance. At the end of the day, the bride needs her first dance capturing.

• J
    Beginner May 2010
    jinatu ·
    • Hide content

I want to have Proper Disco Party at home with loud Music and Flashing Lights.

http://www.windycitynovelties.com/845c/disco-party-light-ups.html

Where can I get an Amplifier, Cables, Lighting Gear, Speakers in the UK for not much £?

• ESW
    Beginner September 2012
    ESW ·
    • Hide content

To be honest I never knew they were different - sorry! I knew different DJ's have different set ups but thought they were all roughly the same. In my eyes the DJ is the expert and I would expect them to use their initiative and do what was best.

With regards to the first dance then I would have thought that the DJ & TOG would have spoken about this to get some memorable photos.

My view on the lights, I have 13 kids coming to my wedding all less than 8 yrs and they love flashing lights! However, I also want to make sure the adults get to dance including me I don’t intend to leave the dance floor!

I haven't met my DJ yet as they are part of my wedding package but it has made me think about some questions to ask!

• Jason Clark DJ
    Jason Clark DJ ·
    • Hide content

If its an occasional party, you can simply hire the equipment. You can get some basic gear for around £100 hire price. You'll have to collect and then drop it back.

If you actually want to own equipment, there is lots of cheap gear on ebay, otherwise gumtree etc. I'm selling some older lights and an amp with flightcase and cables.

If you're thinking about DJing as a business, then feel free to PM me for a chat.

• eeyoring
    Beginner June 2012
    eeyoring ·
    • Hide content

I also want fairy lights and candle lights to be the lighting concept not flashing red and green.

I hadn't thought about it till this thread popped up but I will definitely be asking our DJ that comes with the venue to limit lighting to mood washes and white flashes if at all.

I dont want it to look like a kids party.

I want romantic twinkling white light with my black and white theme

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

I hate cheesy flashing disco lights as well. I think it's important to have some kind of mood lighting, but I don't want my wedding to be like a child's birthday party.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics