Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

miss_winter14
Beginner February 2014

flashing fairy lights nightmare >_

miss_winter14, 25 of February of 2015 at 10:11 Posted on Planning 0 9

So the venue for my parents ruby wedding is very small so we're not having a dj- just a spotify playlist. obviously without a dj we don't have lighting, so people are either going to be throwing shapes under strip lights or as springsteen would say, dancin' in the dark. so i bought a white paper lantern and some multi-coloured flashing fairy lights, little battery powered ones, to put inside the lantern to create lighting. huzzah! it works. it sheds a LOT of light, however, as always in my planning, there is a problem. the flash setting could induce an epileptic fit! rather than a garden-esque party it'll look more like a blinking rave!!!!

so does anyone know where i can get battery fairy light which flash, but in a more sedate way? preference on red, but at this point i'm interested in all and any suggestions please!

going to use the lights i have on static if needs be, but would like some more which do flash ti either add to the static or to swap, so as to get a more 'disco' lighting feel.

thank you ladies Smiley smile xxx

9 replies

Latest activity by miss_winter14, 25 of February of 2015 at 14:10
  • SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong
    • Hide content

I had paper lanterns at my wedding:

I got the lamps and the bulbs from here: https://paperlanterncompany.co.uk/

Not sure if they'll have what you need but they do have an awful lot of stuff and I can vouch for quality/speedy delivery etc etc Smiley smile

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14
    • Hide content

All i need is something flashing, battery operated and preferably red (though that's not a deal breaker). it sounds simple. tisn't lol.

i'll check them out- thank you! Smiley smile xxx

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny
    • Hide content

It's really nice of you to think of that.

I don't have epilepsy but really hate blinking fairy lights. If i've got more than one blinking at me I get really confused and start feeling unwell. I've asked people to turn them off in the past for instance in pubs at Christmas.

Anyway, i think lanterns would be lovely, but it sounds like you wanted a more disco-ish thing?

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14
    • Hide content

I'd ideally like something with a slow flash. almost a fade flash kind of thing. our normal xmas lights flash on 8 different settings but the only one i can stand is the fade flash.

i think epilepsy is something you need to be aware of because it can strike suddenly. a friend of mine was 26, she'd never had a fit in her life, didn't even know she has it. went to a club with strobe lights which caused a fit. and as you say, flashing can cause headaches for so many people, myself included. when having something flashing, it really needs to be subtle. that's why i'm contemplating having the static lights PLUS the flash, so it's not as noticeable.

blue xmas lights are the ones which REALLY get me. they cause great pain to my eyes and my head and i really struggle to focus, not only looking at them, but also on other things after blue lights have been in my field of vision :/ cannot fathom their popularity :/ lol

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Blue Christmas lights do that to me - certain ones make everything really weird and surreal and I can't quite get a grip on focus. Nice to know it's not just me

Loving the idea of lights in a lantern, might have to borrow it for our foyer ?

• hellandglory
    Rockstar October 2019
    hellandglory
    • Hide content

Look for lights with a twinkle option Smiley smile

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny
    • Hide content

The blue ones are horrid! bah!!!

Hope you find something that works. Sorry I'm of no help whatsoever. I've banned OH from setting our Christmas light to any sort of blinking.

• MrsV-wasMissB
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsV-wasMissB
    • Hide content

I love flashy flashy, H2B hates flashy flashy. We have lots of evening tiffs about the christmas tree during december....

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise
    • Hide content

We bought from this seller on ebay twice before, about a year apart and both times and the lights came with a little box near the plug that allowed you to chance the flash settings. Everything from static to slow flash, twinking and ravesque 馃構

This is the link to their listings, they do have some red ones. Hopefully what you're looking for? http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/custron-navigation/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14
    • Hide content

Thanks so much but i need battery, not plug.....

it needs to suspend from the middle of the ceiling which is somewhat trickier with a plug cord Smiley winking hehe

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics