Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

xoxoxo2017
Beginner May 2017

Flat shoes for your bridesmaids

xoxoxo2017, 15 of July of 2014 at 15:14 Posted on Planning 0 6

So it seems the common thing is to put your BMs (and yourself!) in heeled shoes! My BMs, like me, aren’t really “heel” girls and much prefer our flats. (I can cope with heels until a point though so I am having heels until the evening starts then swapping to ivory flats).

However, all my BMs have said to me on separate occasions when discussing shoes “you know I’ll be taking them off after the ceremony right?”. I have them said “erm, after the meal you mean, 6pm is shoes off time!”. They’ve all agreed but it’s got me to thinking… what is they just wear “really nice” flats from the off?

The dresses will be a-line tea dress just below knee length (the one I have chosen atm is such as that, so even if these don’t work out, it’d be the style I opt for) which I think would work quite well with flats anyway. Wouldn’t they? I’m not sure how it’d look on photos, I don’t want it to appear TOO casual but quite like the “more relaxed” approach AND want them to feel comfy ALL day. this is the dress - http://www.bhs.co.uk/en/bhuk/product/wedding-1020484/adult-bridesmaids-1020513/bridesmaid-dresses-1020862/rose-ballet-pink-short-dress-2536507?refinements=category~%5b471576%7c471150%5d&bi=21&ps=20

Has anyone / is anyone putting BMs in flat? Do we have any examples of that looking good?

Shortest is 5” 2, I’m 5”4 (with no larger than 2 inch heels), 2 are 5”3, and the taller one is 5”6 – so we’re all around similar height anyway.

6 replies

Latest activity by Sazzle24, 16 of July of 2014 at 10:37
  • Tams90
    Beginner July 2016
    Tams90 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I've decided to put all my BM's in flats. For 2 reasons though, the first one is because I know they'll be moaning about their feet hurting and walking on grass ect. but the other is that their all extremely tall and tower over me. So I've decided that I will be wearing heels for the ceremony and photo's, but after that am switching to flats and my BM's are going to wear cute, diamanté sandals all day. Then everyone is a winner Smiley smile

• MrsGreen-27/9/14
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsGreen-27/9/14 ·
    • Hide content

I'm letting them choose their own shoes, I want them to be happy & comfortable with what they're wearing. Besides which they are paying for them so it's only fair! One of my maids has got her shoes from next, they're sparkly ballet pumps they look lovely! Whereas my sister is THE queen of shoes, has every kind of pair imaginable (and one size bigger than me, grrr!!!) she loves her heels so she will probably get some stupidly high ones. That said I'm the tall one & she's short so it'll balance out!!! Another of my maids is about the same height as me, not sure what she's doing yet but have a shopping trip planned for next week so we'll see. I just think as long as they're all happy & comfortable, nothing worse than being made to wear something you're not happy with & I know I wouldn't like it. I've got some small heels but I'll be swapping to ivory flats too, I'm not used to wearing heels either!

I'm going to try & put a link in to BM's shoes, see if it works!!

http://www.next.co.uk/x53334s2#658411x53

Yippeee it worked lol, never done that before!

• bex_boo
    Beginner August 2014
    bex_boo ·
    • Hide content

I am a shoe lover, and I adore high heels. But I also love a flat shoe too. They look very smart and chic, and I have to say, happy bridesmaids is an important thing for me.

They're your buddies and you want them to be comfortable. It will reflect in the photos and in their attitude on the day. No-one wants sore feet, that's the way to a miserable time.

2 of my bridesmaids will be in flats, and 3 in heels.

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

I'm a heels girl, for sure, and I hate wearing flat shoes - I feel frumpy and dumpy and walk like a duck. When I'm in heels my posture is so much more, urm, tall!!

BUT, my daughter has amazing posture, has a beautifully straight back, and legs that don't waddle (as I always feel mine do in flats) and she feels far more comfortable in a low heel or ballet pumps.

So in the same way that I wouldn't want someone to tell ME to wear flats because I know how it makes ME feel and look, I certainly would like my BMs to feel and look comfortable in whatever they have on their feet. Within reason, of course, no UGG boots, or converses....but, for example, I know my MOH may well be pregnant - if she needs to wear flipflops because her ankles are so swollen, then so be it......they will have sparkle and will be appropriate, and SHE will feel comfortable. Job done.

• SunnyOrangeFlowers21
    Beginner August 2014
    SunnyOrangeFlowers21 ·
    • Hide content

My BM is wearing these https://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_050010628885_-1 . She wants to be comfy and who am I to argue?

• S
    Beginner September 2014
    Sarah_88 ·
    • Hide content

My BMs are choosing their own shoes, I wanted them to be comfortable with what they chose. 2 are having heels, and 1 is wearing flats. Put together with me in heels it is working out that we are all roughly the same height

• S
    Beginner November 2014
    Sazzle24 ·
    • Hide content

Summer wedding then maybe a sparkly flip flop? Go with what's comfortable. My dresses are long so shoes can't be seen and my BM all have different tastes. My sister will have sky high heels. My friend had a leg trauma and has to wear flats, my other BM loves a wedge and my last one likes a small heel. We are altering the dress length around the shoes. Go with what's comfortable and also so many flats to choose from now you can get beautiful ones

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics