Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Flight luggage help

1 of June of 2015 at 23:00 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 23

Hi hitchers

Just after some info on what kind of luggage I need for my trip to Italy in July.

I havent flown for years (because its freaks the living shite out of me), so I am not up to speed with luggage and bag sizes etc. I am flying with BA, and have hand luggage only. Are these hand luggage bags big enough for a week away? I doubt it with my shoe addiction.. I can't seem to find the checked luggage sizes either, which is very frustrating.

Can anyone help on what kind of case i need?

23 replies

Latest activity by HappyIvoryCars344, 6 of June of 2015 at 13:39
  • MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Here you go sweetie

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/hand-baggage-allowances

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

I struggle to fit everything I need for a weekend away in one of those small suitcases you can take as hand luggage. I'd never manage for pack for a week in one of those!

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

Like *J9* l would struggle to get everything l need for a week into one of those cases. I guess it depends how good you are about being strict with yourself?

• Asmurfette
    Beginner September 2015
    Asmurfette ·
    • Hide content

I work in airport chick. If you need any advice gimme a shout x

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

Http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/checked-baggage-allowances

Hth?

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

Are you sure you have to pay for the checked baggage? I thought BA flights automatically give you 1 piece checked baggage?

ETA: Just looked at Halloweeny's link and I stand corrected. They've obviously started doing hand baggage only fares now too.

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

I like Samsonite. They're quite expensive i think. I've had a little one for about 15 years and it's still perfect.

American Tourister is the slightly cheaper sister company to Samsonite and also pretty good.

Achica sometimes to offers but the bag can take blinking ages to arrive so i'm not sure how much help that is....

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

I've got a Tripp suitcase from Debenhams, fairly cheap and is still going strong after 10 years (and it has been used at least once every year!)

• P
    Beginner April 2016
    Pooba ·
    • Hide content

Be strict while packing and bear in mind you can always buy cheap stuff out there!

Hope you have a lovely time Smiley smile

• Asmurfette
    Beginner September 2015
    Asmurfette ·
    • Hide content

Hey chick, i think most standard suitcases are allowed to be in checked in.. it's the weight allowance you need to check for.. from a quick search it looked like 23kg, which is pretty good, most airlines charge after 15/20kg (thomas cook etc).. most hard suitcases weigh about 5kg empty.. I.T luggage do light weight cases which are soft, can get some funky ones but im personally not a fan ... a website called "bags etc" sell decent luggage fairly cheaply ... groupon and wowcher might be worth a look too

Hand luggage is usually 5kg .. i see people take hand luggage all day every day, personally i couldn't do it even for a weekend, let alone a week...

Be careful what you pack in hand luggage..

No sharp items

No tools

No liquids/gels/pastes (basically anything wet to touch) over 100ml

No real or replica guns/bullets/knives etc

• Asmurfette
    Beginner September 2015
    Asmurfette ·
    • Hide content

Haha. We check the hold luggage for guns too unfortunately. You can pack your knives tho no problem :p

• M
    Beginner April 2016
    MrsRees2B ·
    • Hide content

I've got some of those vacuum bags that use for packing my suitcase get 2 people's worth of clothes in 1 suitcase and I take a pump so I can get it all back the same way.

• yorkshirekiwi
    Beginner August 2014
    yorkshirekiwi ·
    • Hide content

Wow, you lot are not light travellers! I always get stung having to pay for checked baggage because I need prescription creams and ointments in quantities you can't put in hand luggage since the liquids rules came in. Otherwise I could happily fit a weeks worth of stuff in a hand luggage size bag.

I think my packing record has to be our holiday to Cuba, 2 weeks, 2 people, combined baggage allowance 30kg, we took 9kg! (And came home with just under 7!)

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Were you naked the entire time?? That's the only way I can get away with 9kg!

• Asmurfette
    Beginner September 2015
    Asmurfette ·
    • Hide content

Kiwi. Don't know about there. But here you can take your prescription creams etc in hand luggage. No matter how big so long as the prescription label is on the item or box

• H
    Beginner
    HappyIvoryCars344 ·
    • Hide content

Schwelley: You will definitely be fine with hand luggage only!! I am spending two months in Lisbon at the moment, also only with hand luggage. My secret is that my suitcase has the exact measurements that are allowed, and that isnt that small! I think I managed to fit about 15 shirts, 2 pairs of trousers, 2 pairs of shorts, and 5 skirts. Sounds incredible but they are all quite small since I knew it would be very hot! Also, my advice is that you should wear any jumpers, trousers, cardigans, trainers etc (anything that uses up a lot of space basically) during the flight - they cant sanction you for that! I always wear 2 jumpers, my long sleeved shirt, my largest shoes, etc., and that really helps. Take everything off as soon as I land of course Smiley smile but since Im assuming youre flying from the UK, it will even be suitable for the weather. And I am guessing that it will be really warm in Italy. Any creams / toothpaste/hampoo etc you can either buy there (Italy is way cheaper than the UK), or at the aiports boots. Hope this helped Smiley smile

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My toiletry bag weighs more than that!!! I don't pack light. I can manage with hand baggage but only for weekend trips. I have the IT ultra light suitcases in both the normal and hand luggage size and find them really good. They are really light on their own so you can pack more. Smiley smile.

When I went to Italy I had a 15kg suitcase and a hand baggage sized case stuffed to seams (the airline didn't weigh hand baggage then). Italian women are soooo stylish I wasn't taking any chances.

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

When we flew b,a we got 23kgs of check in automatically.

We havw an super light suitcase, think it's it lugage but the hand luggage case weighs less than a leg and big one like 2.3kgs it's savec me a fortune. If your thinking of doing regular flying would suggest investing I was worried about the fabric look when I brought it but there so robust.

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

My carry-on is John Lewis(!). At the time, it was bang-on the size limits and was super-light. I've had it for 4 years.

• H
    Beginner
    HappyIvoryCars344 ·
    • Hide content

Haha I don't know how you guys can have so much stuff to bring! I guess I've been flying with low-cost airlines for so long that I am really used to not having too too much, and to maximise what I have for a suitcase. But to answer the initial question: it IS definitely possible! It also depends how many clothes your want to take / how many outfits you want to have, but as I told you, I am fine with handluggage for 2 months (washing machines do exist! Smiley tongue )

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics