Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

WickyWack
Beginner July 2013

Floristry help/enamel jugs

WickyWack, 3 of June of 2013 at 10:45 Posted on Planning 0 8

I've bought 6 jugs in various heights to go on the tables during the wedding breakfast. The idea was for me to simply get some gyp and pretty roses etc from Morrison's the day before and arrange ad hoc so it looked "shabby chic-ified" - I felt completely confident in doing so UNTIL I happened to read the sticker on the bottom of the jugs last night saying "decorative use only - do not use water". Great.

I still want to be able to use them! I haven't actually tried putting water in them yet to see if they leak (why would the leak). Not really sure why the sticker said not water! Should I use oasis floristry foam so that the water is less of a puddle so to speak?

any ideas?

8 replies

Latest activity by Lemon Violet, 3 of June of 2013 at 15:43
  • P
    Beginner July 2013
    PFY1980 ·
    • Hide content

You could line with Celaphane or a bag vase then definitly will not leak. so the Celaphane comes up at the edge of the jug.

• Bookish
    Beginner August 2014
    Bookish ·
    • Hide content

Perhaps it's just that the water wouldn't be safe to drink from the jugs (chemicals/paint etc). Could you 'test' one?

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

I would test it but line it with plastic just in case. Doesn't need alot of water in on the day. Maybe a little tupperware type pot in the bottom of each with an inch or so of water. Will be enough for one day.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Get a glass or a plastic beaker type thing, put in bottom of the jug and fill water, then put the stems of the flowers into this. Much easier than trying to line with plastic!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Hi - yes, they do leak with water in them. Sometimes the enamel hasn't welded together properly at the seams underneath and it can seep through so they are mainly for artificial flowers or decorative purposes. You could line it as mentioned with thick plastic - cut up some of those thick garden refuse bags and add just enough water to cover the stems. If you use floral foam, you would still need to line it first as foam soaks up a lot of water and the weight of the foam when wet would also leak through the bottom.

• WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks ATB - why didn't I think of this! So obvious! lol I will try this I think!

Thanks for your ideas ladies, I seem to be struggling with really simple common sense at the moment!

• L
    Lemon Violet ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

You could put plastic beakers inside them which would hold water or use the gel balls which hold water

Lynne

• L
    Lemon Violet ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

You could put plastic beakers inside them which would hold water or use the gel balls which hold water

Lynne

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics