Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner February 2015

Flower arrangements/bird cage panic

jemster, 18 of February of 2015 at 07:48 Posted on Planning 0 5

I WOULD be so grateful for some help on this. Am panicking as time running out and flowers still not sorted.

I'm sorry I can't find the picture now on the net so I can show you want I'm talking about - I do have it on my pc but can't see how to put it in this post.

It's basically a bird cage sitting on a round mirror plate. If you imagine the bottom of the bird cage like a clock, then at 5 oclock are 3 flowers up against the outside of the cage and sitting on the plate. It's hard to tell if they are attached in any way to the cage or not.

They may not even be real flowers, they're just flower heads. I like the minimalist look so I asked the florist if this could be done with fresh flowers but with three sets of three going around the bottom. This is so flowers can be seen from people sitting anywhere on the table. So there would be at set of 3 at 5 o clock, a set of 3 at 9 0 clock and a set of 3 at 1 o clock.

She's quoted £40 - £50 for this - for 1 cage that is. She said the cage will have to sit in a ring. Surely that will completely change the look of what I've asked for which has a very spare minimal look to it. I'm assuming then that there will have to be 'something' covering the rest of the ring where the clumps of flowers are not, something apart from flowers, that is?

Can anyone help with this at all? Is the look I want possible done with fresh flowers and attached to the cage? Or is more case of just resting the 3 flower heads on the plate against the cage - which I don't mind but they are fresh flowers. Then again it's only got to last about 4 hours.

5 replies

Latest activity by jemster, 18 of February of 2015 at 12:16
  • pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Sadly it's not that simple....is it ever. Fresh flowers need water, simple, that they might only be seen for four hours is just a fraction of the time the flowers will be out of water. The florist would do these the day before, so just wiring the flowers to the cage would leave them with no water for more than 24 hours and by the time of your wedding, they would be wilted. That's where your florist is coming from, and why you tend to see this kind of display with silk flowers.

Flowers start to wilt very quickly, some more so than others. You could ask to see if she could have a number of the flowers of your choice cut and then put them on the mirror plates at the very last minute, but I think the best you could hope for there is a very very simple laying of a single stem, or two or three. But there's a risk of water dripping etc....sorry

• J
    Beginner February 2015
    jemster ·
    • Hide content

Hi Pammy,

Many thanks! You see, I really don't mind being told something can't be done or what the problems are - your answer is exactly the sort of answer I would have expected from the florist.

I may consider doing this with artificial flowers then but then would that look odd when most of the other flowers are real??

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Glad it helped. I'm mixing fresh and silk lol so why not? X

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

I'm a retired florist and when your florist mentions a ring, if she means an oasis wreath ring for the cage to sit in, then this will obstruct the view of the plate you want your cage on. Plus, as you quite rightly say, she will have to cover the remaining unused foam with something such as moss or leaves.

There is a florists' gadget called a mini deco which is basically a small round disc of foam that has an adhesive backing that you peel off and stick to things for example champagne bottles. It can also be glued onto more tricky objects such as bird cages. The mini deco is fresh foam - the florist dips it in water - and you can arrange fresh flowers in the foam as required. They are quite often used for cake decoration when fresh flowers are wanted to cascade down the tiers. They are very robust and can hold 3 flowers with leaves to hide unused foam very easily.

The other alternative would be to wire artificial flowers and attach them where needed. Artificial flowers are so good now, the better quality ones are very hard to distinguish from the real thing unless you touch them.

• J
    Beginner February 2015
    jemster ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone. I think I'm letting the pressure get to me. The florist has just come back with a revised plan and cost which I think I am happy with. I'm really glad I don't have to plan weddings very often! Then again after a few goes you'd have learnt by your mistakes so would get a lot easier!

• J
    Beginner February 2015
    jemster ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone. I think I'm letting the pressure get to me. The florist has just come back with a revised plan and cost which I think I am happy with. I'm really glad I don't have to plan weddings very often! Then again after a few goes you'd have learnt by your mistakes so would get a lot easier!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics