Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

woowoo83
Beginner October 2013

Flower Etiquette - HELP PLEASE!!

woowoo83, 3 of July of 2013 at 14:19 Posted on Planning 0 19

Hi, please could someone advise me on the etiquette for who should get what flowers? My mum mentioned the other day that her corsage needed to match her outfit and I had no idea what she was on about! So I now know that she needs a corsage but does this extend to in-laws also? I'm totally clueless when it comes to all this. Any help gratefully received!

Wendy

19 replies

Latest activity by havecreditwillwed, 3 of July of 2013 at 21:43
  • M
    Beginner September 2013
    morristobe ·
    • Hide content

I was the same. Were having, my bouquet, bridesmaids flowers, my mum and OH mum a corsage which they will choose to match their outfits, pageboys BM FOB FIL and Usher will all have a matching button hole.

My mum mentioned that my grandparents may want to wear button holes too. I've left that up to them to organise else it will spiral out of control.

• PinkButterfly
    Beginner June 2014
    PinkButterfly ·
    • Hide content

I've got button holes for my step dad, dad, FIL and groomsmen and obviously groom

my mum, step mum, MIL and grandma will have a corsage

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

This is something I'm arguing with my mum over at the moment!

I was planning on buying both mums a corsage - the men in the bridal party buttonholes, as well as the father of the groom.

My mum says I shouldn't be buying the mother and father of the groom, and it's nothing to do with me if they wear one or not!? I thought I was being nice and was planning on asking MIL what colour she'd like. Not because I have to, but because I want to make them feel included. Practically though it's not going to be feasable as I won't be seeing them before the service so that's fine.

Ofcourse my mum will insist I get HER one!! Over that I'm only going to be getting the men who I've bought outfits for (as buttonhole is part of that) so my brother (who is giving me away) and the Groom and Best Man will be the only ones.

• suzysimpson
    Beginner August 2013
    suzysimpson ·
    • Hide content

Soooo glad you guys posted about this!!! I had no idea about corsages matching outfits, rather than wedding colours!! *off to call florist*

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Hi - your Mum is right. Mum's corsages should match their outfit or be in a neutral colour. A corsage is more special than a buttonhole and is normally worn by the MOB and the MOG. It is only ladies that have corsages. Men wear buttonholes but the Groom wears one slightly more special than the other guys so he stands out on the photographs. I've attached photos of the differences so you can see what I mean:-

Mothers/Mum-in-law's corsage which may be worn either pointing downwards as in the photo on the left or right hand side of the wearer or upright if preferred:-

Groom's buttonhole:-

Standard buttonhole worn by the Best Man, FOB, FOG and ushers if having any:-

All buttonholes are worn on the left of the wearer. It's no longer tradition to provide buttonholes for all the guests but this is purely up to budget and choice. Hope that helps.

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

I'd ordered them for mine and OH parents - but to be done same as ushers etc? I.e. our bridal colours.

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content

Oh no- ANOTHER thing I've not done properly! Seriously, do you have to get flowers for the mums too?

So far I've ordered my bouquet, 2 BMs bouquets, a buttonhole for my dad / best man / groom / father-in-law...hadn't even thought about the mums!

Dammit.

• estilomodabridal
    estilomodabridal ·
    • Hide content

Generally

Bride, Maid Of Honor and bridesmaids all get bouquets.

Groom, BM and groomsmen/ushers all get boutonnieres.

Mothers of the bride and groom get either a pinned or wrist corsage.

Fathers of the bride and groom get a boutonniere

Ring Bearer gets a boutonniere Flower girl either gets flowers for her hair or maybe a small basket with flowers in it. some of them carry a ball of flowers.

If you have any grandparents,it is customary, but not necessary, to give the grandmothers a corsage as well and the grandfathers a boutonniere.

You don't need flowers for anyone else, so you don't have to worry about brothers and sisters.

Don't let it get to you, think about your budget.

Best of luck. xxx

• Childhood-Sweet<3
    Beginner July 2014
    Childhood-Sweet<3 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't even know what one of these is!??

I didn't realise you had to get mothers these either until MIL 2 B insisted she has an orchid, so now I will order my own mum a lily one as that is her fav flower as a surprise. She is as rubbish as me with traditions so will hopefully be nicely surprised by the gesture.

• woowoo83
    Beginner October 2013
    woowoo83 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the replies, this certainly clears things up. Also thanks to the ladies who are as clueless as me - certainly helps make me feel better! I'm meeting with the florist at the weekend so will have to speak to the MIL as I have no idea what she's planning to wear or what her floral preferences are!

• estilomodabridal
    estilomodabridal ·
    • Hide content

Have a look at the link below

https://secretsfloral.com/sherri-anne-and-atibas-wedding-a-modern-classic/sa_0161_ps_resized/

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's just the American term for a buttonhole - don't worry!

• P
    Beginner July 2013
    PFY1980 ·
    • Hide content

I ordered bouqets - for me and sis, Corsarge in my colours for either mums and grandmothers( i am having white roses so neutral) then button holes for dads, groom and Bestie and Grandad...

so think we are good?

• Iheartbuttons
    Iheartbuttons ·
    • Hide content

When my brides order buttonholes and corsages, they have always been for their parents and the grooms parents. Sometimes they stretch to nan's and grandads. They sometimes also have them to double up as gifts as my buttonholes/corsages can be kept as a keepsake.

• Iheartbuttons
    Iheartbuttons ·
    • Hide content

When my brides order buttonholes and corsages, they have always been for their parents and the grooms parents. Sometimes they stretch to nan's and grandads. They sometimes also have them to double up as gifts as my buttonholes/corsages can be kept as a keepsake or even personalised to the persons hobbies/interests.

• Y
    Beginner April 2014
    YellowDuckie ·
    • Hide content

I hadn't even thought about corsages! They look lovely though...OH mum will be well chuffed if we get her one I'm sure

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Sooo glad you posted this!!!! I'd never even heard of corsages for the my mum and MIL!!!! Arggh feel like I've got no clue with all this wedding lark! Everytime I think everything I've thought of everything there's something else I've totally forgotten!!

• havecreditwillwed
    Beginner August 2013
    havecreditwillwed ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is a really useful supplier post - you should see the scrap the TOGS are having on the post started by a Bride trying to work out where to seat her TOG for dinner!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics