Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

F
Beginner April 2013

Flowerless Wedding

Futter, 20 May, 2012 at 09:17 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hi all :-) we are having a flowerless civil ceremony in a beautiful manor house and wanted to get some ideas on what we can decorate with instead of flowers? Thinking lanterns, gild fish bowls, candles etc ... Anyone else doing something similar or have any cool ideas?

Faye x

10 replies

Latest activity by *Funky*, 20 May, 2012 at 15:39
  • Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

Candles and lanterns would be nice I think - some soft lighting. Although depends when you are getting married - if you're getting married in June, they won't be as effective due to the abundance of light in the late Spring early Summer months.

I love flowers and we're have piles, so I'm not the best person for this to be honest, but I had to say PLEASE don't have gold fish bowls. It is, in my opinion, just a revolting idea. There is simply no need to use anything alive as your wedding day decor.

• RebTheEck
    Beginner August 2013
    RebTheEck ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't think she meant live gold fish in a bowl, more like gold fish bowls with candles in...

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You say this, but only a few days ago someone flashed a picture of their wedding centre pieces that were goldfish in a bowl! I am sure you're right on this one though, rereading it, it does sound like the OP just meant fish bowls with candles in!

• F
    Beginner April 2013
    Futter ·
    • Hide content

Ha ha! Def not live gold fish :-) more thinking candles in them :-) getting married earl April x

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hehe - I am relieved to hear this! ?

Hmmmmm, early April...the light then is just so beautiful anyway, but white fairy lights and candles won't be 'lost' in it, as the natural light is kind of hazy and muted. Why are you going for flowerless - do you specifically not want flowers for a reason?

Some people are having big jars of sweets for people to help themselves to as centrepieces.

Or, you could have a pile of books that you love - you could even attach little labels to them with guests' names on, and they could take home to book you had chosen for them?

Or you could have big tall candelabras - these look so dramatic.

If you want something a bit more relaxed, you could get lots of different sized glass bottles and stick candles in them and light them?

Check with your venue first though, some won't allow lit candles indoors (I know ours doesn't).

• IshouldCoco
    Beginner September 2012
    IshouldCoco ·
    • Hide content

Seen alot of the wicker decorations and I also think the tulle bows are nice as 'pew' ends (or chairs)...

Have you thought about having a brooch bouquet too?

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Are you going flowerless due to ethical concerns or allergies?

What about potted plants/flowers like snow drops, hyacinth or daffodils?

• F
    Beginner April 2013
    Futter ·
    • Hide content

The reason for flowerless is really just because they are so expensive and then die so wanted to hire or make things to do it a bit differently. Plus the venue we are marrying in is so beautiful with modern chandeliers etc www.hamptonmanor.eu if you want a peek :-)

I'm definitely having a brooch bouquet and brooches is a theme we are using but wanted to see what else we could do different,y to decorate the aisle in the ceremony room and also what to do centrepiece wise... The wedding breakfast is in peels restaurant which is already quite dramatic so I think huge centrepieces would be a bit of an overload...

Thanks for all your help so far everyone..keep the ideas coming :-) x

• F
    Beginner April 2013
    Futter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Gurzle - we can def have lit candles but only if they are "safe" ie in a protected casing so I don't think they would allow candles in bottles but that sounds fab!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I think vintage shabby chic books can make a nice alternative and inexpensive center piece like these...

• You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics