Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner December 2012

Flowers between Christmas and New Year-eeekk!!!

laura28040, 17 of February of 2012 at 23:18 Posted on Planning 0 18

Hello,

I really need some advise! Our wedding is booked for the 29th December. I have been looking into florists, and apparantly ''no-one worth their salt'' would take on flowers over this time, as the last delivery will be around the 20-22th December, and they won't be at their best. I really want fresh flowers but don't know what to do!

Laura xxx

18 replies

Latest activity by Seirah, 28 of December of 2021 at 07:21
  • NorthumberlandBride
    NorthumberlandBride ·
    • Hide content

Who said that??

have you spoken to sany florists seriously about the order?

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content

I was reading about someone else who had the same problem... but I'm sure she found a solution... but can't remember who it was or what the thread was!...

• NorthumberlandBride
    NorthumberlandBride ·
    • Hide content

If i were you i would have a ring around good florists in your area and make an apoinment to go in and discuss it. a good florist should always find a way for it to be done.

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content

From the other thread about it there was a pretty good logistical reason why florists say they won't do it - but as I say, the other bride found a solution, just wish I could remember what it was! Hopefully other people who read that thread will come on soon!

I'm sure it must have been on here though!

• NorthumberlandBride
    NorthumberlandBride ·
    • Hide content

I Friend of mine got married new years eve last year and she sorted her flowers... she couldnt have anything that a very short life though, and she had some artificial (she wanted lilly of the valley in her bouquet) but its worth discussing it and seeing what you can do

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

A lot of wholesale flower markets do close over the hols and don't reopen until 2 Jan. The flowers that would be available on Christmas Eve will, as your florist said, already be 2/3 days old before she buys them so would not be at their best for a wedding on the 28/29th. The point she makes in 'no florist worth their salt etc' is quite true as few florists would want to risk their reputation doing a wedding that may fall well short of their usual standards due to unavailability of stock, lack of supplies or trying to do a fantastic wedding with stock that is well past its sell by date.

Another reason is that the lull between Christmas and 2 Jan is know as the 'dead zone' in the floral trade. No-one wants flowers as they will have already had them bought for Xmas. There is an occasional funeral but even then, most funerals are delayed until the New Year as all the various people involved in conducting funerals no longer work over xmas. To be honest, and I'm speaking as someone who had a fresh flower shop for 3 years myself, it's just not worth opening or having the stress of doing a wedding knowing of the problems associated with doing one during this time.

Every year I get panic phone calls from Brides who were booked for fresh flowers over xmas and have been told by the florist they booked that they have decided not to open. You may get someone who works from home that may be prepared to take it on but you may have to have what she can get hold of rather than what you would like so it's not good news I'm afraid Smiley sad

• B
    bluehouse ·
    • Hide content

Hi. Its really sad that when people ordered for flowers regarding there marriages on the occasion of Christmas an new year. Its difficult for the flower man to arrange it, so overcome to this problem flower man have a huge stoke in advance.

• S
    silkexuberance ·
    • Hide content

I actually did a fresh wedding this year on the 2nd jan, but as said previously it would depend upon the wholesalers openeing times. plus that time of year the flowres are going to be very expensive. i agree with rainbow florist you may need to find a frelance florist, if you email me your locatin i can ask around for you my email is ****.****@*******.**.**

• L
    Beginner December 2012
    laura28040 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for your post. Its not good news, but honest, and thats what I needed to hear. I've started to look at other options with artificial flowers, do you feel the silk or foam ones are better/more realistic?

Thanks again,

Laura

• L
    Beginner December 2012
    laura28040 ·
    • Hide content

Yup, spoken to every florist in the town I'm getting married. Was tearing my hair out by the end of it. Starting to look into artificial flowers now.

• W
    Beginner
    Wicket ·
    • Hide content

I had an artificial bouquet from www.sarahsflowers.co.uk which looked lovely and realistic, it's now sitting on my dressing table.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

I made the move from fresh flowers to artificial 9 years ago and offer a bespoke design service nationwide. My website has lots of photos in the galleries together with prices - link below. If you need any help or a brochure, just let me know.

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

Would making your own bouquet be an option? Places like M & S can order in their stock flowers, so things like roses, carnations etc, anything they usually sell at that time, which you could order in for 3 days before wedding (or as near as possible) and make own handtied bouquets. Their flowers tend to look good for at least a week.

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married on the 29th December! My florist said that some flowers can be frozen to keep them fresh in the week between Christmas and New Year but I haven't yet discussed which ones freeze well and which ones don't. I'm going to look into silk flowers as well and maybe do a combination of the two.

• K
    Beginner December 2012
    KTT ·
    • Hide content

Hello,

I'm a 29/12/12 bride too! I've not even explored florists yet, but am so glad i saw this thread first. Will start to look into asap. Good luck ladies :o) xx

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I got my ladies corsages from Sarah's flowers ,I live in Birmingham so I visited her shop. Her displays are beautiful. (strangely although I live close DS, we got married in Essex).

• M
    Marilyn ·
    • Hide content

Fresh flowers can't be "frozen" they would come out black and horrible. They can be cold stored from before Christmas depending on what they are and if the florist has the facilities to do it. Some flowers like lillies and amarylis take time to open so would have to be bought before 25th to be open in time anyway. You need to ask around, some wholesalers may have a delivery but supplies are limited so it may be a case of what is avaliable rather than having a wide choice. Foliage, berrie etc would also keep well.

Remember though lot of florists take a holiday from Christmas until after the New Year just because supplies are difficult so you may well have to look around for one that is working that week anyway.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Hiyah Marilyn ? Long time - no see! Hope you're well and good to see you back - Brenda

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics