Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Pinkcoffee22
Dedicated April 2022 Staffordshire

Flowers Budget: Am i crazy?

Pinkcoffee22, 17 of September of 2021 at 21:19 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi, ladies,

I'm looking for a bit of advice and maybe even a bit of 'No, you're not crazy!' feedback here, ha ha.

My Mr and I have a budget of £45K for our wedding, so it probably goes without saying that I'm happy to spend on the things we want. However, flowers kind of has me a little bit perplexed, as I've seen that some florists have a MINIMUM spend of around £2,000. Is this normal? I know and understand everything is relative (of course, the more flowers we have, the more expensive it would be); however, I'm a bit blown away that a MINIMUM SPEND is so much.

I was, probably naively, thinking I could just throw £500 at flowers, because I thought that would be enough.

I don't know. Thoughts, ladies? Was I just a little bit misinformed when it comes to how expensive flowers are?

Xx

5 replies

Latest activity by Voiceoftruth, 18 of September of 2021 at 17:31
  • Hayley
    Rockstar September 2022 Norfolk
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    Our florist has a minimum of £1000 for Saturdays in high season (which ours is). £2000 seems a bit steep for a minimum but I guess it depends on the area. We're in Norfolk so not an overly expensive area. One way of saving on flowers I have seen is buying from a wholesaler and arranging yourself with family or friends. I'd imagine you have enough with that budget though. Maybe shop around a bit and see if there are some with a lower minimum. Good luck and enjoy 😊
  • Katie
    Beginner December 2021 Devon
    Katie ·
    • Hide content

I think it depends where you go, we are spending around £450 on flowers for button holes, bouquets and flowers to decorate the cake but we are spending around £2500 with a decor hire company to hire loads of blossom trees (floor standing and centre pieces) plus other decoration to make the venue really stand out and help set the atmosphere. You've got an amazing budget so you'll have loads of choice either way, just a thought though that you could spend less on flowers and more on professional decoration depending on the look you were going for! Hope you have an amazing wedding day Smiley smile

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I guess it depends on your area, and also if they are purely a wedding florist or do other flowers as well - our florist didn't have a minimum spend at all, but she does bouquet deliveries, funerals, parties etc as well. I imagine if your only income is from weddings, you need a fairly high spend per wedding, but if you do lots of other things, then it's not so important.

Can you get some quotes from other florists in the area to see if that is typical for your location?

NB: We spent just under £60 for my bouquet and my OH buttonhole, but we're in a cheap area.

• Voiceoftruth
    Dedicated October 2021 Oxfordshire
    Voiceoftruth ·
    • Hide content

It does depend on the florist, but not all of them have a minimum spend.

It does also depend on your area, but it will massively depend on your venue(s) too! If you want a huge venue decorating, you will need massive amounts of flowers or a very skilled florist! £500 will easily get you bouquets and buttonholes with some leftover, but you may struggle to get table flowers, pedestals etc. with that. So it really does depend what you want as well.

Be aware that florists May also be hiring glassware (e.g. vases) to you, which would normally be included in the overall price. I don’t think you’d find it hard to spend £2000 on flowers. They should be incredibly good quality, from a florist, which means you can send them home with guests I feel you like and they’ll last for a while, giving guests a lovely reminder of your day for a couple of weeks!

• Voiceoftruth
    Dedicated October 2021 Oxfordshire
    Voiceoftruth ·
    • Hide content

Also, flower prices are dependent on import prices a lot of the time, which will have been impacted by Brexit. Plus, putting flowers together is not easy or quick, done properly, so labour charges contribute to it too.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics