Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

beccak
Beginner September 2014

Flowers! What are you having & how did you choose florist?

beccak, 11 of April of 2014 at 21:53 Posted on Planning 0 14

The last thing I have left to sort is a florist. I'm probably not going to have any floral decorations so only need a bouquet for me and my one bridesmaid and buttonholes for the men.

Knowing very little about flowers, I'm looking for some inspiration and names of differnt flowers so I know what to ask for Smiley smile I want pale pink and ivory flowers, something 'soft' and 'romantic' looking. I've looked on Pinterest and Google Images and have worked out that I like peonies! Is anyone else having peonies? What works well with them? And they seem a bit big for buttonholes, so is there something similar but smaller out there?

Secondly, how did you go about choosing a florist? Did you visit more than one? Did you make appointments? Did you email pictures of bouquets you like and ask for quote? I'm not getting married where I live (nor anyone I know) so I haven't got any personal recommendations from anyone. I'm travelling to the area in July for my hair & make-up trials so will probably visit some florists then, but I'm not sure how many to go to, or if that's leaving it far too late. My wedding is only about 7 weeks after this so I'm hoping that because it's a) a weekday and b) I only need a small order that would be enough notice.

Flashes & advice would be much appreciated! Oh, and if there are any Cornish brides, recommendations would be even better.

14 replies

Latest activity by overtherainbow, 12 of April of 2014 at 13:51
  • Nicksy88
    Beginner June 2014
    Nicksy88 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Beccak, I live in cornwall and my flowers are being done by a florist in Newquay. Where are you getting married? X

• beccak
    Beginner September 2014
    beccak ·
    • Hide content

Oh, hi! I'm getting married in Mevagissey (where there are no florists); not sure if that'd be too far from Newquay..? I've never actually ever spent much time in Cornwall, just fell in love with a venue, so the geography isn't my strong point!

• Nicksy88
    Beginner June 2014
    Nicksy88 ·
    • Hide content

Aww how exciting! I live in St Austell which is about 6miles from Mevagissey! Newquay is then 20mins away, the florist is happy to drive to St Austell the morning of the wedding for A small delivery charge. They are a lovely family run business and have been very helpful to me so far! (I'm not very good with flowers but they spent ages showing me and grouping flowers together)!

• pink & glitz
    Beginner August 2014
    pink & glitz ·
    • Hide content

I am getting my bouquet made, a crystal one so I haven't been to a florist. Sorry not much help x

• beccak
    Beginner September 2014
    beccak ·
    • Hide content

Aha, sounds like I've now found my local informant then Nicksy88! Your florist sounds lovely and exactly what I need; could you send me their details please? I think there's a private message system on here if you don't want to post on the forum.

• Nicksy88
    Beginner June 2014
    Nicksy88 ·
    • Hide content

Yeah of course. Any questions you have feel free to ask! Must be difficult planning so far away! They are really lovely, I'll send u their details and phone number and they are on Pinterest too.

• E
    Beginner September 2015
    Emma180913 ·
    • Hide content

Just to let you know peonies are in season May/June time. I'm getting married in September and peonies were a must for me so they're having to be imported from abroad at a cost of anywhere up to £10 per flower...if they're something you really want them be prepared to pay a lot for them as they'll be out of season for your wedding.

• E
    Beginner September 2015
    Emma180913 ·
    • Hide content

Oh and also I was told peonies won't really work for buttonholes as they're (a) quite big and (b) a very delicate flower which might end up looking a little dishevelled after congratulatory hugs etc!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

The first thing you need to do is visit a few local florists and ask if they can do the wedding. Once you've found those who can fit you in, make an appointment to visit them to discuss things and they can come up with some suggestions for you. Peonies are one of the most expensive flowers available and have a limited season in May/June. Whilst peonies are large flowers and too large for buttonholes, florists can use the buds of peonies which are fine. They do come in whimsical colours so lots of varying shades of pink to choose from. Hope that helps.

• beccak
    Beginner September 2014
    beccak ·
    • Hide content

Hmmm yes, after posting this last night I discovered that peonies would be out of season which is a shame. Apparently David Austin roses look quite similar in that they are nice and fluffy, and are available all year round, so might go with them instead.

Something like this

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

You will be able to get 'wild looking' flowers at a florist wholesalers but not actual wild flowers because these aren't commercially grown for florists to use. You can, however, get artificial wild flowers which are extremely realistic.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Gorgeous bouquet! David Austin have some fabulous varieties and they do look similar to peonies. They are quite pricey too but worth it. If you have a look on their website, they used to have a catalogue that you could request with all the different varieties in.

• beccak
    Beginner September 2014
    beccak ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Gulp! Any idea on a rough price range I should be expecting for a bouquet like that?

Has anyone seen any artificial bouquets with flowers like these?

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

With David Austin roses, I would say around the £70 mark. To be honest, for realistic artificial flowers, it would be about the same for a florist to make. It's quite a large bouquet so you could getaway with less flowers which would bring the price down a bit.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics